Week 3 - Ups and Downs - Fields of Dreams (Nightmares)

Bucketheadsdad

This game showed the importance of having stud skill players. Our OL was largely handled all day, yet we moved the ball just fine against a tough defense. Not Baker's best day, but I've got no big issues with his play. OBJ looked good. Chubb and Hunt may be the best duo ever. Hyperbole? I don't think so.

Joe Woods gets a slow clap for at least one day. I don't care how inept the other team is - when you limit them to 47 yards for the day, you know what you're doing. Nothing against the guy, but it was nice to not see Mack Wilson. Nice to see Tony Fields get on the field. Greedy Williams is still alive. Myles Garrett eats bears for lunch.

• Like 3

UP:

D-line, especially Myles 

Defensive gameplay overall - don't know why it took 3 weeks to figure out we needed tighter coverage and pressure on the QB, but glad we finally did

Kareem Hunt - that man was possessed

OBJ returning - a good yeoman's effort in his first game back & something to build on going forward

Our fans: I remember getting pissed at how loud KC's fans were in week 1 when our O was on the field...glad to see our fans bringing similar heat

DOWN:

O-line - some boneheaded penalties and guys getting straight up beat by their man

Baker's accuracy - hopefully gets it back on track soon

14 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

UP:

D-line, especially Myles 

Defensive gameplay overall - don't know why it took 3 weeks to figure out we needed tighter coverage and pressure on the QB, but glad we finally did

Kareem Hunt - that man was possessed

OBJ returning - a good yeoman's effort in his first game back & something to build on going forward

Our fans: I remember getting pissed at how loud KC's fans were in week 1 when our O was on the field...glad to see our fans bringing similar heat

DOWN:

O-line - some boneheaded penalties and guys getting straight up beat by their man

Baker's accuracy - hopefully gets it back on track soon

I think Baker and WILLIS WERE MORE injured then was put out.

7 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Question for you how do you think this defense finishes

I think as Coach Woods gets more use to the different parts of this defense.......and as the defense gel's more, I think we get a much more consistent product. Not 9 sacks a weekend......I am still waiting on the turnovers to start. His starting defense has essentially 4 1rst round picks on it (Newsom III, Delpit (1rst/2nd projection), McDowell and Owusu-Karomah)....I expect our defense to preform like it did sunday.....not to mention (Garrett and Clowney 2 former #1 picks) in addition to Ward who was a 1rst and Greedy Williams who was rated as a 1rst/2nd rounder, we have a lot of high draft picks invested...but a lot of youth and a lot of new pieces. If we give Coach Woods a shot, I think we have the 2nd half of a potential S.B. equation.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I think as Coach Woods gets more use to the different parts of this defense.......and as the defense gel's more, I think we get a much more consistent product. Not 9 sacks a weekend......I am still waiting on the turnovers to start. His starting defense has essentially 4 1rst round picks on it (Newsom III, Delpit (1rst/2nd projection), McDowell and Owusu-Karomah)....I expect our defense to preform like it did sunday.....not to mention (Garrett and Clowney 2 former #1 picks) in addition to Ward who was a 1rst and Greedy Williams who was rated as a 1rst/2nd rounder, we have a lot of high draft picks invested...but a lot of youth and a lot of new pieces. If we give Coach Woods a shot, I think we have the 2nd half of a potential S.B. equation.....

I think baring him becoming an absolute liability he’s gonna get his shot.  This FO seems to understand and value continuity, so I’d be shocked to see him get canned midseason.

Honestly I’d be surprised to see him get fired even after this year unless our defense isn’t top 20 or so.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:22 PM, Rod Johnson said:

Encouraging win for our team, kind of discouraging play from Mayfield.  Sit Wills down for 2 weeks, he's 300+ lbs and has a sprained ankle.

Most comfortable win we've had in a while though, they could not block us.

I hope Fields is better now though, because as much as we were getting to him, he also played pretty bad.

I'll disagree with the Mayfield play. He wasn't his best, no doubt. He overthrew Felton early on what would have been a likely TD. He missed Bryant later in the game on another play that could have been a TD. But he was playing a week after injuring his left shoulder. Have to believe that factored into some of the off target throws. He was also under duress a lot in the game. 5 sacks and hit I believe 7 times. Gotta love when your QB gets hit in the head, flag gets thrown, and the officials decide to pick it up. Only Cleveland! Just to compare, In week 1 Ryan Tannehill was sacked 6 times, and ended up fumbling twice and throwing an interception. The fact that Baker was taking hits, getting sacked, and keeping care of the football. If a bad game from Baker means he completes 62% of his passes for 240 yards and doesn't turn the ball over, I will take that all day long. 

• Like 4

My biggest ups

1. Joe Woods called a magnificent game, when you start seeing 9 sacks and 1 yard net passing....no team is that much better physically than another team in the NFL...that is better talent + Scheme the other team wasnt ready to handle.

2. Owusu-Karomoah looking like a top 15 pick.....he had tackles, he had a sack, he knocked down 3 passes, he had a tkl for loss or two. this kid is a swiss Army knife.

3. Best Backfield in football....we consider 84 yards an "Off day" for Nick Chubb...thats just how good he is LOL. Kareem Hunt went all Tasmanian devil up in there. And last but not least, D. Felton (a kid I projected to us in the draft), one week he's in the backfield and produces, one week he's in the slot and he produces, this week he added 114 punt return yards....we have the best RB room in the NFL.

Biggest Downs.

1. Andrew Billings.....I was so excited when we signed this guy......not anymore.....he needs to prove some sort of worth.

2. Penalties.....we had a few bad calls, but I would like to see us play a CLEAN game vs Min (2 penalties for no more than 15 yards combined..and no pre snap, offsides, illegal shift, etc)

3. Oline was not bad, but not its usual dominant self......and I feel blessed that one of my biggest downs is that our Oline only performed like a top 15 line vs a top 3 line for THIS week.....Wow...were almost spoiled now LOL.

And one Honorable Mention......our kicker Chase McLaughlin....had a Vulcan mind meld with Phil Dawson this week. KEEP IT UP...

GrossLimitedAustralianfurseal-size_restr

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 3