Week 3 Postgame: GB 30 - SF 28

Leader

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I damn near had a stroke after this penalty was called.  Hoping Gute got on the horn with the NFL this morning about the officiating in this game.

I'm not really sure what I see was wrong with the call.  Incidental, yes.  But the ball was out of Jimmy's hand, and Jaire still completed the hit.  And not only did he hit him, he took a right-handed swing.  And not only did he take a right-handed swing, it was up in the next/head area.  If he'd done the same reach/swing/grab around the waste, maybe the call doesn't happen. But yeah, Jaire didn't need to go through with the swing; if he hadn't, it's not a call.  

So many of these seem like they are kind of "not-very-serious" things, and "they-could-call-something-like-that-on-every-play", and "he-didn't-mean-anything-hurtful-or-illegal".  But most of them, I could understand the calls.  

The Packers of course also received a bunch of them, several crucial PI's that set up scores for us, too.  

1 hour ago, GHARMON9 said:

90% sure this is wrong. I remember Bosa beating Nijman inside one play. Makes me more skeptical of PFF

Well, PFF had this to say about him “On first review of the game film, Nijman earned the second-worst single-game PFF grade by a Packers left tackle in the last five years.”

So there seems to be a bit of a disconnect. haven’t seen the pressure numbers though, or the play in question.

On Stokes, he was partly in position to have penalties on any/every play because he was covering guys so very tightly.  Very impressive, actually.  

Yes, he'll need to figure out the grabbiness, and figure out that he doesn't need to do so much of it.  But yeah, being routinely able to be in such tight coverage that you need to tell him to cover less tightly, that's a capacity that few corners have.  

5 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Well, PFF had this to say about him “On first review of the game film, Nijman earned the second-worst single-game PFF grade by a Packers left tackle in the last five years.”

So there seems to be a bit of a disconnect. haven’t seen the pressure numbers though, or the play in question.

That's some genius analysis by PFF.  Nijman didn't grade out as well as Bakhtiari does. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm not really sure what I see was wrong with the call.  Incidental, yes.  But the ball was out of Jimmy's hand, and Jaire still completed the hit.  And not only did he hit him, he took a right-handed swing.  And not only did he take a right-handed swing, it was up in the next/head area.  If he'd done the same reach/swing/grab around the waste, maybe the call doesn't happen. But yeah, Jaire didn't need to go through with the swing; if he hadn't, it's not a call.  

So many of these seem like they are kind of "not-very-serious" things, and "they-could-call-something-like-that-on-every-play", and "he-didn't-mean-anything-hurtful-or-illegal".  But most of them, I could understand the calls.  

The Packers of course also received a bunch of them, several crucial PI's that set up scores for us, too.  

I just can't agree with your assessment.  In real-time, Jaire looked much closer to the finish of JG's throwing motion, and he totally held back from leveling JG.  No big deal - disagreements happen every day in this forum.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Not on you TT but i've seen a few posts on PFF so far about Nijman's play.

At the end of the day the kid got us out of that game and earned some valuable playing time. He didn't get anyone killed and that Dline is no joke. He had a tough start but settled in and did a decent job. Let's hope he can continue to develop as you can't teach 6'7" 324 and his movement skills. He played good enough, congrats to him for last night. And congrats to a number of other players that came to play. That entire Oline played their butts off.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Not on you TT but i've seen a few posts on PFF so far about Nijman's play.

At the end of the day the kid got us out of that game and earned some valuable playing time. He didn't get anyone killed and that Dline is no joke. He had a tough start but settled in and did a decent job. Let's hope he can continue to develop as you can't teach 6'7" 324 and his movement skills. He played good enough, congrats to him for last night. And congrats to a number of other players that came to play. That entire Oline played their butts off.  

Nijman was 1v1 with the best pass rusher in football, and even though the packers chipped a lot, he held his own.  PFF is such trash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

I'm not really sure what I see was wrong with the call.  Incidental, yes......

Done. Case closed. The contact was incidental. The penalty was for roughing.

In football terms, Jaire touched Jimmy G. Didnt tackle him. Didnt put a shoulder into him. Didnt lead with his head or make any helmet to helmet contact...and pulled off when he realized he coudnt sack him.

Yes. He touched him.

Jimmy G didnt even fall down.

It was a ridiculous penalty.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Nijman was 1v1 with the best pass rusher in football, and even though the packers chipped a lot, he held his own.  PFF is such trash.

so, he wasn't 1v1 in any bad situations, for like, almost if not the entire game?

Game plan was specifically oriented to protect him, and it worked.  But it's not a sustainable model

Just now, Leader said:

Done. Case closed. The contact was incidental. The penalty was for roughing.

In football terms, Jaire touched Jimmy G. Didnt tackle him. Didnt put a shoulder into him. Didnt lead with his head or make any helmet to helmet contact...and pulled off when he realized he coudnt sack him.

Yes. He touched him.

Jimmy G didnt even fall down.

It was a ridiculous penalty.

they should have called it a blow to the head/neck area.  That was the call, they just didn't explain it well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

He was launching himself towards the QB when the ball was released. There was no way he could avoid contact at that point. Had he actually 'completed the hit,' he would have wrapped up and took him to the ground. He didn't come down with force, he didn't make contact to the head and he didn't wrap up. 

There is no way to 'un-launch' yourself once in the act. By the definition of roughing the passer this is not a foul. 

Hope that clears is up for you, but this was a bull**** call. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Remember that Bakhtiari and Jenkins are his competition and an above average single game likely is in the 5 worst for Bakh and Jenkins.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

they should have called it a blow to the head/neck area.  That was the call, they just didn't explain it well.

He didn't hit him in the head and didn't look like he hit him in the neck. There is nothing in the rule book about hitting a QB in the neck area, JUST THE HEAD.

He doesn't come close to either his neck or his head if Garoppolo doesn't duck to avoid the contact. 

AGAIN A BULL**** CALL!

• Like 1