Week 3 Postgame: GB 30 - SF 28

Leader

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He didn't hit him in the head and didn't look like he hit him in the neck. There is nothing in the rule book about hitting a QB in the neck area, JUST THE HEAD.

He doesn't come close to either his neck or his head if Garoppolo doesn't duck to avoid the contact. 

AGAIN A BULL**** CALL!

ok, you're wrong though

3. In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects). 
6. A passer who is standing still or fading backward after the ball has left his hand is obviously out of the play and must not be unnecessarily contacted by an opponent through the end of the down

I don't disagree.  But yeah, if you watch the clip, he hit/nicked Jimmy in the face-mask.  And his arm that was outstretched, he didn't keep it outstretched.  He turned his hand/wrist in, resulting in the incidental glancing contact on the face-mask.  

I'm not saying it was a good call.  But the rules are very protective, and no matter how incidental or unintentional or glancing it might have been, if you're hitting a QB up in those areas, you're liable for a possible penalty.  

It's a great learning opportunity for the whole team.  They won.  But maybe Jaire and the others will get a harmless lesson; that you should go out of your way to keep your hands away from both the QB's head/neck/face-mask, and also from the area of space where the QB might naturally duck his head when he's ducking away from a potential hit.  

Refs are making these calls in the heat of the moment; sometimes they make bad ones, and sometimes they call stuff on very incidental glancing stuff like this.  But the more you can remind yourself to avoid doing it unnecessarily, the less risk that a key stop and change-of-possession will turn into a possibly key penalty and extend a scoring drive

The Jaire call was flat out a bad call anyway you slice it.

Nothing about the contact was remotely "forcible". It was bad in live time and even worse on replay. It didn't look remotely severe from any angle. The lesson I hope the team learned from that call is that Jaire did absolutely nothing wrong, shouldn't change anything about the way he plays, and the rest of the team should play more like him.

The ref straight up made a bad call both in reference to the spirit of the rule and the exact written language of the rule.

That's my take.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

ok, you're wrong though

I see the problem here, let me help you out. 

forcibly
[ˈfôrsəblē]

ADVERB
  1. using force or violence.

Are you going to try and argue next the hit was violent or using force? I'll sit back amused and allow you to carry on by yourself. 

@craig he never made contact with his helmet or his facemask. 
Edited by Old Guy

43 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

so, he wasn't 1v1 in any bad situations, for like, almost if not the entire game?

Game plan was specifically oriented to protect him, and it worked.  But it's not a sustainable model

That should happen against one of the top edge guys in the league no matter who is in there. Not gonna face a Bosa every week. And the good news is Nijman wont be in for long.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

That should happen against one of the top edge guys in the league no matter who is in there. Not gonna face a Bosa every week. And the good news is Nijman wont be in for long.

what if he ends up the best and a line of:

Nijman || Jenkins || Myers || Turner || Bakhtiari is our best 5 😉

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

no I'm content just resoundingly disputing what you falsely claimed to be true whilst exposing that you're not well versed in the rules yet seem to be quite comfortable arrogantly yelling on the subject.

he didn't make any false claims

Jaire made contact (barely) in the head/neck region

Jaire did not "hit" him in the head/neck region

which is what he stated originally

Just now, incognito_man said:

yes, and I am in 100% agreement. It was a terrible call since there was no forcible contact (aka "hit") to the head/neck region just as he observed and stated as well.

Oh, so you're in agreement with the post which says there's nothing in the rule book about hitting a qb in the neck.  GOT IT.

also read the rest of the rule that I quoted.  Can't be contacted unnecessarily after the ball is released and/or while fading backwards:

A passer who is standing still or fading backward after the ball has left his hand is obviously out of the play and must not be unnecessarily contacted by an opponent through the end of the down

agree or disagree with the call, that's fine.  Looked like a weak call, but it's how the rule has been enforced over the past 2-3 years.  It's not surprising at all.  Once he released it, it's time to do everything possible to hold up, not swing your arms at the qb.  As was said on the broadcast, can't expect DB to know to do that because they're never rushing the passer.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

but it's how the rule has been enforced over the past 2-3 years

disagree. It has not been consistently called anywhere near that badly.

There are examples of similar awful calls, yes - but 100% not buying that tiny amount of contact gets regularly called. I suspect there were several examples of equal/worse contact to the QBs just in this game that were not called.