Week 3 Postgame: GB 30 - SF 28

Leader

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

I was gonna post the exact opposite.  That view is pretty horse bleep. Man I enjoy the big screen TV and seeing everything perfectly and when there is a time out, I can grab some grub or take a whizz no problem.  No parking issues or traffic issues or drunken idiot     issues.  Just enjoy some football and post stupid things in the GDT. Glorious.  

I don't have any drunken idiot issues at home, but for some reason the people I watch the games with have complaints about it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

Those were grey area calls on some but is still feel we got shafted on how weak our calls were and they got called when they legitimately had hands on the receiver and were turning them early.  But there were plenty of others that were horrible and slanted the field. I won’t get deeper into it. I hate crying about the refs, it’s always pointless and especially so after a win. I just hope the team takes steps to put it on record that it was garbage. 

You know the officiating was crap when both the winners and the losers are complaining....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Tbh, I’m more angry about that challenged catch being confirmed with regard to the “new NFL”. At least with the ticky-tack RTP calls they are trying to protect players.  This new catch rule is just plain stupid. If you couldn’t have made the catch without the ground helping you, it shouldn’t be a catch. 

Those are the old rules and only makes sense....The NFL though in their infinite wisdom, think they are doing fans a favor by allowing spectacular near catches to be called good.....In the process it has made the game confusing and given the refs more control....

14 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

but not to the head/neck

It was a terrible call. Especially just minutes after Adams damn near had his head taken off with no flag in sight. Between these two plays, the somehow missed intentional grounding that would’ve sent the game to halftime 17-0 and calling tripping but somehow missing the guy called for tripping was being blatantly held, this was one of the most one sided officiated games in forever. 

And they still won. Poor Jerome Boger. Can’t wait for him and this crew to try this screw job in a game at Lambeau later this year.

from The Athletic

Here are some neat stats from a TruMedia query:

The 49ers used 3 pass rushers twice and the Packers weren’t charged with a pressure allowed (zero percent pressure rate; the league average for pressure rate with three pass rushers is 17.5 percent).

They used 4 pass rushers 24 times and the Packers were charged with four pressures allowed (16.7 percent pressure rate; the league average for pressure rate with four pass rushers is 28.3 percent).

They used 5 pass rushers 7 times and the Packers were charged with two pressures allowed (28.6 percent pressure rate; the league average for pressure rate with five pass rushers is 41.7 percent).

They used 6 pass rushers once and the Packers weren’t charged with a pressure allowed (zero percent pressure rate; the league average for pressure rate with six pass rushers is 40.5 percent).

• Like 4

Thanks, Shane.  That's some great info and stats there.  Every game and matchup is unique, of course.  But the quick-throw game-plan may be a good one to use again in some other matchups, too.  

My sense is that Newman and Myers may be starting to settle in.  Runyan too.  

I may be way off, but I kind of have the feel that Newman is well suited for pass blocking.  He's got the feet to stay in the way.  Not so sure that he's got the power to be moving defenders around in the run game?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Your back peddling and changing narrative is funny. First you posted this part and try to ignore the word forcibly because you know you can't make the argument Alexander used force. 

if you go back to the post you'll see that php BB automatically condenses the quotation from the rulebook.  Idk why it does that, but both parts of the rule are in there.

only reason i posted the rules in the first place is you were claiming there's no rules covering the neck only the head.  

Obviously it's a bad call.  Obviously they called the hit based on the rule about the head/neck area, and obviously it's a bad enforcement of what I think is a good rule.  The entire game was called very tight.

35 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The entire game was called very tight.

disagreed

the game was called in a cascade of bad calls meant to attempt to even things out. There was zero consistency (which, IMO, is a requirement of a "tightly" called game).

It was a sloppily called game filled with errors and likely eliminated anyone on this crew from getting SB consideration. At least it should. It was awful, awful.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

disagreed

the game was called in a cascade of bad calls meant to attempt to even things out. There was zero consistency (which, IMO, is a requirement of a "tightly" called game).

It was a sloppily called game filled with errors and likely eliminated anyone on this crew from getting SB consideration. At least it should. It was awful, awful.

Why wouldn't they get the SB? They'll make sure it's a close game!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

worst call in the game was the no intentional grounding call right before half.

The worst call was the DPI on Stokes on 3rd and long. Wasn't even remotely close to a penalty. I actually understand the non-IG ground. I don't agree with it, but rule-wise, if the QB is getting hit and that influences the pass, the refs typically don't call grounding. You could argue that's what happened there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The worst call was the DPI on Stokes on 3rd and long. Wasn't even remotely close to a penalty. I actually understand the non-IG ground. I don't agree with it, but rule-wise, if the QB is getting hit and that influences the pass, the refs typically don't call grounding. You could argue that's what happened there. 

Yeah I don't get the outrage there. I know where they're coming from and I hate the way grounding is now, it's under enforced.. But still, he's getting smacked and I've seen that let go many times