Week 3 Postgame: GB 30 - SF 28

Leader

Just now, Refugee said:

Those were grey area calls on some but is still feel we got shafted on how weak our calls were and they got called when they legitimately had hands on the receiver and were turning them early.  But there were plenty of others that were horrible and slanted the field. I won’t get deeper into it. I hate crying about the refs, it’s always pointless and especially so after a win. I just hope the team takes steps to put it on record that it was garbage. 

yeah, to turn it away from the refs slightly, I LOVED how sticky our DBs were on the opposing players.

Jaire, Stokes, Sullivan, Savage ALL had highly contested catches against them.  That's super encouraging to see, because those SF receivers, especially Deebo made some amazing contested catches.  And then there were some incompletions that went for DPI which were good technique and probably shouldn't have been called.

To me this was the most encouraging sign from the secondary since Jaire started to ball out.

also a HUGE addition by subtraction type game for Kevin King.  Guy is fine when he's right, but he's never good.  And he's also never right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

I hear you, and of course we're all entitled to our own psyches.  :)  Yes, they ought to win the North.  The others are pretty vulnerable, the Packers really should go 6-0 or at least 5-1 within the division.

The problem is, I think MIN could also go 4-0 vs CHI and DET.  They were a botched short FG from beating ARI, and they just beat SEA without Cook.  The Vikings aren't terrible.  Cousins limits their ceiling, but they aren't pushovers.

Edited by Mazrimiv

5 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

90% sure this is wrong. I remember Bosa beating Nijman inside one play. Makes me more skeptical of PFF

It would be very difficult for me to be more skeptical of PFF.  Too many of their scores/ratings make very little sense when you actually watch the players in the games.  I don't think they have any kind of hidden agenda, but they definitely look for specific things when grading players, and those things don't always seem to translate to how effective that player was on the field.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

90% sure this is wrong. I remember Bosa beating Nijman inside one play. Makes me more skeptical of PFF

Pretty sure he beat him right away on the damn lazard catch to like start the game and was right there, maybe they don't call that a pressure but if it wasn't that quick if a throw he was right on Aaron. I could be wrong though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Pretty sure he beat him right away on the damn lazard catch to like start the game and was right there, maybe they don't call that a pressure but if it wasn't that quick if a throw he was right on Aaron. I could be wrong though

Yeah I think this was the play.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It would be very difficult for me to be more skeptical of PFF.  Too many of their scores/ratings make very little sense when you actually watch the players in the games.  I don't think they have any kind of hidden agenda, but they definitely look for specific things when grading players, and those things don't always seem to translate to how effective that player was on the field.

Still a great performance regardless. Versus a top tier player.

I just stopped taking PFF serious when they had 1st quarter grades on a MNF game literally moments after the first. You don't even know what was going on/trying to be accomplished yet  you have 22 individual scouts grading ??

Goofy. They also rated Cam Newton around the mid teens last year. And he was pitifully bad.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah, to turn it away from the refs slightly, I LOVED how sticky our DBs were on the opposing players.

Jaire, Stokes, Sullivan, Savage ALL had highly contested catches against them.  That's super encouraging to see, because those SF receivers, especially Deebo made some amazing contested catches.  And then there were some incompletions that went for DPI which were good technique and probably shouldn't have been called.

To me this was the most encouraging sign from the secondary since Jaire started to ball out.

also a HUGE addition by subtraction type game for Kevin King.  Guy is fine when he's right, but he's never good.  And he's also never right.

I actually think King would be an upgrade over Sullivan.  Sullivan is bad.  King is pretty damn bad in his own right.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I actually think King would be an upgrade over Sullivan.  Sullivan is bad.  King is pretty damn bad in his own right.

ehhh idk. Sullivan is decent at slot. Godwin has been killing EVERYONE in the slot tbh. 

I'm ANTI Kevin King. These bombs he lets players get are inexcusable. 

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It will be interesting to see how (or if) the presence and performance of Stokes causes King to up his game any. Right now, his career's on the HHCD precipice. Another down year and he could be scrounging for a job and taking chump change.

I was impressed by Stokes yesterday. It was the first time I'd seen focused in images of his coverage techniques....and he was on it.
I like his attitude, confidence and aggressiveness. On one route, he was mirroring Deebo twitch for twitch and was right there when the ball arrived. Cant ask for closer coverage. 

Matt Schneidman -  Matt LaFleur on Eric Stokes’ two DPI penalties: “I’ll let you use your own judgement and write what you want to at those ... I thought he did an outstanding job.”

The rookie first-round puck played every defensive snap last night.

• Like 1

Matt Schneidman -   Matt LaFleur says Allen Lazard went to special teams coordinator Mo Drayton after the 49ers’ 68-yard return and said he wanted to play on the kickoff coverage unit so that didn’t happen again. LaFleur: “You see Allen busting his butt and he’s the first one down every time.”

///

The guy's a player.

• Like 4