Week 4: Browns (2-1) at VIKINGS (1-2)

swede700

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Can the Vikings win the Vikings a super bowl? 

Sadly not in it's current form, too many bloated contracts and although Kirk is a good QB he can't keep up with the elite guys. The only way for us to win would be a solid QB on their rookie deal

1 minute ago, viking said:

Sadly not in it's current form, too many bloated contracts and although Kirk is a good QB he can't keep up with the elite guys. The only way for us to win would be a solid QB on their rookie deal

And the football gods being against us doesn't help

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Outside of today has the offense been an issue? Is the defense playing well?

Outside of today, the offense was very clearly carrying the team. Heading into today the 8th best offense in the NFL (29 PPG) and the 20th best defense (26 PPG).

I do think the defense is/has figured things out and will improve but I just don't know if teams can consistently win in the modern NFL playing good defense and hemorrhaging good offensive minds every time the team fields a good offense.

Edited by Nozizaki
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nozizaki said:

Outside of today, the offense was very clearly carrying the team. 8th best offense in the NFL (29 PPG) and the 20th best defense (26 PPG).

I do think the defense is/has figured things out and will improve but I just don't know if teams can consistently win in the modern NFL playing good defense and hemorrhaging good offensive minds every time the team fields a good offense.

That’s a reasonable argument. I don’t know that they’ve lost a ton of great guys outside of Stefanski, though. He’d have been the guy i wanted them to keep, though.

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That’s a reasonable argument. I don’t know that they’ve lost a ton of great guys outside of Stefanski, though. He’d have been the guy i wanted them to keep, though.

I don't know that any of them are great but it sets the team back a ton losing the OC every. Year. The team would be more fun to watch with an offensive emphasis. PFF maintains that defense is mostly random. If the Vikings could have a top 10 offense every year and pair that with a top 10 defense every so often that may be the best way to try and breakthrough to win a championship.

Hell, maybe there would be enough leftover talent with Harrison Smith, Danielle Hunter, and Eric Kendricks to have a top end defense. The Vikings will likely have their young O-Line round into form next year. With Cousins, Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, and Irv Smith coming back next year that's a talented offense with an ability to be championship level. They just need continuity in their offensive scheme.

Just now, Nozizaki said:

I don't know that any of them are great but it sets the team back a ton losing the OC every. Year. The team would be more fun to watch with an offensive emphasis. PFF maintains that defense is mostly random. If the Vikings could have a top 10 offense every year and pair that with a top 10 defense every so often that may be the best way to try and breakthrough to win a championship.

Hell, maybe there would be enough leftover talent with Harrison Smith, Danielle Hunter, and Eric Kendricks to have a top end defense. The Vikings will likely have their young O-Line round into form next year. With Cousins, Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, and Irv Smith coming back next year that's a talented offense with an ability to be championship level. They just need continuity in their offensive scheme.

Having a top offense allows you to build a compatible defense. If we have an offense that is allowed to air it out to our top 5 WR core and we have a top scoring offense we wouldn't have to waste 20m of the salary cap on two nose tackles. That money would be way better spent on corners or pass rushers in todays NFL.

Defense is more random than offense but paying defensive guys who consistently win 1v1 isn't random (see LA Rams defense).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They are 1-3, after being terrible last year. This isn't about one game.

If you can’t see the difference between this year’s team and last year’s team, I don’t know what to tell you. You’re either blind, or you’re intentionally reacting with your eyes closed. 

All three losses could/should have been wins. Each game came down to the last play of the game. And all three games were against good, or even great, teams. So, while the Vikings may not be a great team, losing close games to very good teams doesn’t mean they are a bad team. 

• Like 3