the Jaguars should fire Urban Meyer immediately

Apparition

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

He had 5 carries in a Week 1 game where they were down 10 points going into the final minute of the first half. Hyde had 3 carries to Robinson's 2 in the first three drives of that game. Robinson had nearly as many tackles as touches in the first half (go back and check the play logs).

Believing Etienne was going to spend any significant time in the slot with Laviska Shenault, DJ Chark, and Marvin Jones already on the roster is incredible.

Your confusion is understandable because box score scouting tends to lack context. 
Robinson had as many or more touches than Hyde in the first 3 drives of the game. Literally the first 3 or 4 rushing plays we ran were instantly called off due to holding, putting us at 1st and 2nd and 20 and pretty much killing each drive. By the time we stopped holding, we were down 2 scores and passed for the rest of the game.

Hyde got his carries after, as others already told you, Robinson took a breather after running a deep route. 

Edited by JiffyJag
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

He had 5 carries in a Week 1 game where they were down 10 points going into the final minute of the first half. Hyde had 3 carries to Robinson's 2 in the first three drives of that game. Robinson had nearly as many tackles as touches in the first half (go back and check the play logs).

Believing Etienne was going to spend any significant time in the slot with Laviska Shenault, DJ Chark, and Marvin Jones already on the roster is incredible.

No, what’s incredible is someone who clearly doesn’t know what the team was doing being sure about something that they are telling fans they’re wrong about the team they follow and making condescending statements. 

ETN spent over half of camp working with the wide receivers because he was intended to be used all over the field. Urban and Bevell both talked about how they wanted to use him all over the field and as a different style runner to compliment Robinson’s bruising style literally from the first statement ever said about him. It was discussed as nauseum by literally every single person with any knowledge of the team how the *Percy Harvin role* was going to be a large part of the offense this year.

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

Your confusion is understandable because box score scouting tends to lack context. 
Robinson had as many or more touches than Hyde in the first 3 drives of the game. Literally the first 3 or 4 rushing plays we ran were instantly called off due to holding, putting us at 1st and 2nd and 20 and pretty much killing each drive. By the time we stopped holding, we were down 2 scores and passed for the rest of the game.

Hyde got his carries after, as others already told you, Robinson took a breather after running a deep route. 

The play logs, which include plays called off due to penalties, say otherwise.

I checked before I posted that. You should, too.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

The play logs, which include plays called off due to penalties, say otherwise.

I checked before I posted that. You should, too.

My bad, both had 3 touches though so I guess you get points for a small semantic victory in an otherwise wrong argument.

So Robinson and Hyde had the same amount of touches in the first 3 drives of game where we abandoned the run. What’s your point? Robinson has continued to be the feature back over the next 3 games, as everyone expected.

Robinson had 47 plays to Hyde’s 25. This includes Hyde getting the lion’s share of plays at the end of the game as the game was out of reach. The first two snaps of the game were drawn up passes to Robinson. Hyde didn’t have a touch until the third drive, and had two plays in a row because Robinson was having a breather. 

This is beyond a stupid argument. In literally no way was James Robinson not the lead back in that game or any other one.

Did they fail to get the run game going and is that a problem? For sure! But this notion that they were making Hyde the lead back because he had three carries (one called back on a penalty) on one single drive might be the worst take I’ve seen on this site in a while.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

My bad, both had 3 touches though so I guess you get points for a small semantic victory in an otherwise wrong argument.

lol, everything I said was exactly right. Giving both your backs the same number of touches through the first several scripted plays of the game doesn't exactly scream "James Robinson is our lead back." If anything, it suggests to me they went to Robinson in hurry-up because he's the better pass-catcher, not because Meyer viewed him as a lead back.

But yes, as it has become painfully obvious that Robinson is the better back (as if anyone needed the reminder), Hyde suddenly developed a convenient injury despite not being on the injury report for Thursday night and they've mercifully stuck with the better player.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

lol, everything I said was exactly right. Giving both your backs the same number of touches through the first several scripted plays of the game doesn't exactly scream "James Robinson is our lead back." If anything, it suggests to me they went to Robinson in hurry-up because he's the better pass-catcher, not because Meyer viewed him as a lead back.

But yes, as it has become painfully obvious that Robinson is the better back (as if anyone needed the reminder), Hyde suddenly developed a convenient injury despite not being on the injury report for Thursday night and they've mercifully stuck with the better player.

Wait you not only think that Urban attempted to bench Robinson for Hyde, but also that, upon his scheme to give Hyde more carries failing, Urban created a fake injury for Hyde so that he wouldn’t have to what, face the shame of being the number 2 back in a game?

3 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Wait you not only think that Urban attempted to bench Robinson for Hyde, but also that, upon his scheme to give Hyde more carries failing, Urban created a fake injury for Hyde so that he wouldn’t have to what, face the shame of being the number 2 back in a game?

No, I'm saying he trying to replace Robinson until it was so obvious Robinson was the better player that he faked an injury to Hyde to avoid the embarrassment of admitting it.

You seem to be under the misconception that Urban Meyer cares about putting the best players on the field. The Tim Tebow experiment really should have disabused you of that notion.

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Hyde suddenly developed a convenient injury despite not being on the injury report for Thursday night and they've mercifully stuck with the better player.

considering this resulted in having Dare Ogunbowale repeatedly run directly into linemen's butts as well as needing to run a lot of QB & WR designed runs due to a lack of RB depth with Hyde out and Etienne on IR, I'd describe his injury as highly inconvenient

• Like 1

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

considering this resulted in having Dare Ogunbowale repeatedly run directly into linemen's butts as well as needing to run a lot of QB & WR designed runs due to a lack of RB depth with Hyde out and Etienne on IR, I'd describe his injury as highly inconvenient

Hah, that's actually a much better counterargument than any of the various Urban defenders in this thread have said about anything

Just now, Blue said:

You seem to be under the misconception that Urban Meyer cares about putting the best players on the field. The Tim Tebow experiment really should have disabused you of that notion.

which is why Tebow barely played in preseason and was one of the first 5 cut

it's truly amazing how obsessed fans of other teams are about one of the bottom 5 players that was on our 90-man roster

• Like 1

Just now, Blue said:

No, I'm saying he trying to replace Robinson until it was so obvious Robinson was the better player that he faked an injury to Hyde to avoid the embarrassment of admitting it.

You realize this sounds insane, right? 

• Like 2

Just now, Blue said:

Hah, that's actually a much better counterargument than any of the various Urban defenders in this thread have said about anything

this thread is a dumpster fire and I've tried to avoid it for the most part because dumb threads annoy me, but a lot of the people you're keying as Urban defenders are anything but. I also would recommend that before telling a bunch of Jags fans that they're wrong about their own team, you should consider watching the games in whole rather than relying on game logs and narrative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

which is why Tebow barely played in preseason and was one of the first 5 cut

it's truly amazing how obsessed fans of other teams are about one of the bottom 5 players that was on our 90-man roster

Do you think any other team picks up the phone if Tebow calls about making a comeback?

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

You realize this sounds insane, right? 

It is exactly what bad NFL coaches have been doing for time immemorial.

Just now, Blue said:

Do you think any other team picks up the phone if Tebow calls about making a comeback?

I don't think anyone denies that nepotism is what got Tebow in the door with Jacksonville in the preseason, but TE was our weakest position and kicking the tires on a unique QB-convert familiar with what Urban likes on offense was about as good as any of the other fringe roster options available at the time. It didn't work, which pretty much every rational fan understood going into the experiment, but at the end of the day we're discussing a fringe roster player (as evidenced as being one of the first 5 cut) so to get worked up about it one way or the other is pretty ridiculous and a waste of energy, imo, especially if you're not even a fan of the team.

I understand that people hate Urban Meyer and thirst at the prospect of criticizing him, but I think what gets lost is that if you criticize and villainize every move he makes, especially the small ones, it drowns out the legitimate criticisms there are about him. For every legitimate criticism - see: initial hiring of Chris Doyle - it's drowned out by 3-4 things that don't matter like this Tebow issue, James Robinson not getting carries Week 1 (which was situational), C.J. Henderson getting traded (a player who was an issue prior to Urban getting here and someone who has his own mental health issues going on), etc. 

• Like 1