the Jaguars should fire Urban Meyer immediately

Apparition

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Nobody is calling for Saleh to be fired because A) he's never been a head coach before and B) he has less control over the roster than Meyer does.

That said, I agree with everybody saying 3 games is way too early to talk about firing a first-year head coach. But I do want to know: what exactly do you expect Urban Meyer to learn and improve on?  This is not Meyer's first go-round as the guy in charge, though admittedly his first time at the NFL level. What does "learn and improve" look like in concrete terms here? And why in the world would anyone look at Urban Meyer's track record and think he wouldn't jump at the USC job in a heartbeat?

I mean look, I'm sure there are indeed some people calling for Saleh to be fired, just as there are people calling for Meyer to be fired after 3 games, because there are plenty of dumb people with access to a computer. It doesn't take any real qualifications to make a thread on here or, say, facebook and say whatever kneejerk nonsense you want, as evidenced by this thread.

To your second point, what exactly was your expectation? Did you think that Meyer was such a transcendentally good coach that he was going to immediately come in and fix literally a historically bad team last year into a juggernaut year 1? Were the Jags not expected to be one of the worst teams in the NFL again, simply due to having an awful roster and being in phase 1 of a rebuild? 

Honestly, I don't understand. There are plenty of criticisms to have of Meyer and some of the moves this regime has made thus far, but it's just funny that the narrative before we hire a coach is "The Jaguars are, yet again, a dumpster fire coming off of 15 straight losses and a gutting of their roster. Any coach that goes there is going to have to be in it for the long haul, because 1 talented QB isn't going to turn this team into a contender. It has to be a full rebuild." And then 3 games, not even 1/5th of one season into the rebuild, people are unironically calling for the HC to be fired because they've lost their first 3 games, despite being surprisingly competitive in 2 of the games and showing progress week to week.

I realize that there really isn't any point in me typing up an actual, thought out response to this thread, which is clearly not a serious thread and largely just a trolling effort, but jeeeeez it seems like the standards for discussion get lower every year. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, pwny said:

The Jaguars couldn’t move on from their DC before the 2020 season because they called around and literally couldn’t find anyone interested in joining the team.

So yes, it is a problem. 

DC isn't HC, and it also depends on who they were calling around about and how many they called. A specific subset of people passing is not indicative of the greater whole. What was their situation? Were they currently employed? What was the position of each of them? Who were they employed with? How long had they been there? Who were they working with in Jax?

The niners literally had 3 coaches in 3 years with an ownership not well thought of, and landed one of the prize coaching hires.

People will be interested in taking the jags job

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's...insane. 

Help me understand this - how is this 32/32 by such a wide margin? Are there no facilities or no budget for staff or stuff that's out of sight?

The Bengals don't even have an outdoor practice facility, so yeah they had to hire Sean McVay's dog walker, but at least they got someone.

I genuinely couldn’t tell you why beyond the team is just awful that no one wants to risk their career on a guaranteed failure. Obvious eventually they get a guy in there. But they’re all basically just one single guy who is assuredly in over his head and is likely only coming in for the paycheck of being a head coach, not that he thinks he can actually find success. 

It all started in the middle of the 2011 season when Jack Del Rio literally quit on the team and stopped showing up on time to practice on time because he knew the Weavers were going to fire him at the end of the year. The ability to find a coach has been marred by a lack of interest ever since.

As far as I’m aware, budgets are just fine. The practice facilities are one of the worst in the league, But Shad has been making upgrades to various facilities in the stadium so I’m not sure the failure there would be the reason. And Urban was able to talk Shad into petitioning the city to get some land available to get a state of the art practice facility, as well as medical and wellness buildings built that would support the team. So it wasn’t like that was the issue, unless other guys wanted it right that second and they couldn’t do it. And if that is the case, you gotta keep Urban at least until they actually break ground on the new practice facility to make sure it happens.  

Maybe the stigma of “no fans” and the constant looming discussion about the move to London? I’d say we can blame it on Shad’s failure as an owner and people being untrusting of his ability to support a winning culture, but it started literally from his first year as owner. 

I don’t know. I just know that no one who actually poses a shot of being an intriguing hire has ever been linked to having interest in joining us with any seriousness except Urban. And it’s 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

DC isn't HC, and it also depends on who they were calling around about and how many they called. A specific subset of people passing is not indicative of the greater whole. What was their situation? Were they currently employed? What was the position of each of them? Who were they employed with? How long had they been there?

The niners literally had 3 coaches in 3 years with an ownership not well thought of, and landed one of the prize coaching hires.

People will be interested in taking the jags job

See my follow up post after that one.

In addition, the 49ers are a storied franchise that is literally a large segment of the league’s dream jobs. Jacksonville, is is not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

I genuinely couldn’t tell you why beyond the team is just awful that no one wants to risk their career on a guaranteed failure. 

I read the whole post, but the fact that the answer is a stone cold 'I don't know' from the fanbase really should be a scandal. How is this not common knowledge? How is the NFL not starting to put pressure, or investigate?

At a certain point, if you have a failing franchise, it's on the league. To me this is an entirely different scope of failure than other teams making bad draft decisions or whatnot. That's failure, but it's within the realm of competition. If you can't even get people in to work there, that has to be triggers to start changing ownership or (and sorry for saying this) moving/contracting the franchise.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

In addition, the 49ers are a storied franchise that is literally a large segment of the league’s dream jobs. Jacksonville, is is not.

There's no guarantee that this matters one iota to a head coaching candidate. If I were a coaching candidate, I'd be looking at the contract, the current roster, current qb situation, chances of success moving forward. Not really whehter or not the team was relevant 40 years ago. Not saying it won't matter for some, but I think it's a stretch to suggest that it's a key factor for a lot of people 

Shanny got ot pick his gm, got a 6 year fully guaranteed contract.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If you want Doug to be the guy responsible for developing your "can't miss" #1 QB when allegedly he's the same guy who "ruined Wentz", then sure. If they want a bridge guy (Mike McCarthy 2.0), that guy needs to at least be able to develop Lawrence so that their real hire in 2.5 years takes them the next step.

He's just an example. There are others. But Doug is an okay head coach. I don't know if he's solely responsible for destroying Wentz (I give Wentz himself a large chunk of that blame as well), but you could easily find a competent retreat and honestly, you may even be able to land a guy like EB, who would have everyone fawning all over the Jags. At this point, I'm not convinced that he doesn't just take whatever job may be offered to him. I'm not sure if he's any good or not, we never really know that...but he has as much chance at being good as he does bad, I think. 

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

does "learn and improve" look like in concrete terms here? And why in the world would anyone look at Urban Meyer's track record and think he wouldn't jump at the USC job in a heartbeat?

It was a 1-15 team last year. He has a rookie QB and all 4 of them have struggled so far. So I don’t think he needs to learn how to coach. I just think he should get a chance to acquire some talent.

USC. I don’t know him like that. But reasons I can come up with. Nowhere in this track record has he failed. He left everywhere after having overwhelming success. They say coaching big time college programs is more stressful than the NFL. And a program with delusions of grandeur like USC is probably a lot to deal with. The PAC12 is a joke. And LA isn’t for everyone. And we don’t even know that USC wants him.

And even if he did leave, which there’s no evidence he will. You’re in the same situation as if you fired him. It would be the same as breaking up with someone just so you can beat them to it.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I read the whole post, but the fact that the answer is a stone cold 'I don't know' from the fanbase really should be a scandal. How is this not common knowledge? How is the NFL not starting to put pressure, or investigate?

At a certain point, if you have a failing franchise, it's on the league. To me this is an entirely different scope of failure than other teams making bad draft decisions or whatnot. That's failure, but it's within the realm of competition. If you can't even get people in to work there, that has to be triggers to start changing ownership or (and sorry for saying this) moving/contracting the franchise.

I don’t disagree with you. Something needs to change. I like Shad as a person. For a billionaire, he seems like a relatively good person. But so far, he seems completely in over his head. 

There seemed to be some interest in the team this past cycle, though the only one we know for sure was Urban. But it seemed like there was finally buzz around the head coaching job here for once, and they actually were able to have more than just a couple interviews and didn’t have guys cancelling HC interviews the day before to take a OC job with another team. But how much of that was solely on getting to have a rookie Trevor Lawrence to mold, and how much of that goes away if the team shows that they have zero patience for a coach to not find immediate success with Trevor despite the fact that the surrounding roster is in stage 1 of rebuilding one of the worst teams ever? How much of it goes away when Trevor’s season doesn’t end up looking like Herbert’s last year and the guy who comes in knows that he needs to get Trevor better protection and better weapons and needs to fix a historically bad defense and that he needs to develop Trevor because he isn’t instantly great, and it needs to be completed immediately because this year shows that the clock is ticking literally come week 1 of year 1?

• Like 1

I mean, I didn't like the hire at the time, and I'm pretty skeptical about him working out long term, but as many have said, it's three games in.  There's a very good chance that the Jags and Jets look very, very different by the time their QBs have had a little time in the league to get used to things.

If they end the season and they've only won like less than four games, then you definitely consider firing him.  But I'm of the opinion the season needs to be an unmitigated disaster to fire a coach in year 1.