the Jaguars should fire Urban Meyer immediately

Apparition

On 9/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, Apparition said:

There are already rumblings that he's looking to bolt for USC at the first opportunity he gets.

Don't know where to put this, so I'll post here...

Mark the tape, but Bill O'Brien will be the next HC for USC. Has experience as a HC in college, has enough of a resume as a HC in the NFL to get consideration (four division titles in seven years, even though just about all of them were won vs corpses in the AFCS). 

One year in Alabama with a potential Heisman winning QB, along with his "track record" with Tom Brady and Deshaun Watson is going to get him yet another job he doesn't qualify for.

• Like 2

Khan won't fire Meyer.   He will get 3 seasons.   Hard to tell from just the highlights,  but there has been marked improvement since week 1 with their play.   Defense has played ok the last 2 weeks, especially in the first halves of both games, running game got going last week, and the offensive line is better than most people think.  A win is not far off.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

Don't know where to put this, so I'll post here...

Mark the tape, but Bill O'Brien will be the next HC for USC. Has experience as a HC in college, has enough of a resume as a HC in the NFL to get consideration (four division titles in seven years, even though just about all of them were won vs corpses in the AFCS). 

One year in Alabama with a potential Heisman winning QB, along with his "track record" with Tom Brady and Deshaun Watson is going to get him yet another job he doesn't qualify for.

That’s a good chance. But if Bienamy gets snubbed again this off-season for an NFL job, I think he’s the front runner.

15 minutes ago, pwny said:

That’s a good chance. But if Bienamy gets snubbed again this off-season for an NFL job, I think he’s the front runner.

While I *fully* agree he should get the job - USC is a blue blood program, with a lot of old money from old alumni. They're going to go with the guy who has the backing of the ol' boys club...

That's BoB, who has letters of reference from Saban, Belicheck and the Penn State Board of Directors now. Nevermind that Bienemey is infinity more qualified and would be a killer on the recruiting trail, and BoB will always have the stigma of his horrendous GM duties hanging over him - BoB "paid his dues" and will get first stab at any job available. It's not right... but that's big money football for you.

You also have to think that USC wk probably finalizing compensation packages for the next HC + staff by the time Bienemey is in the AFCCG. Eric's best bet would have to be if Mahomes got injured - then, he'd be free to interview after Week 18. USC is going to move fast once the season is over, National Signing Day is still on the horizon and USC stands to lose out if they don't have a HC on board to sell up to recruits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

While I*fully* agree he should get the job - USC is a blue blood program, with a lot of old money from old alumni. They're going to go with the guy who has the backing of the ol' boys club...

That's BoB, who has letters of reference from Saban, Belicheck and the Penn State Board of Directors now. Nevermind that Bienemey is infinity more qualified and would be a killer on the recruiting trail and BoB will always have the stigma of his horrendous GM duties - BoB "paid his dues" and will get first stab at any job available.

It's not right... but that's big money football for you.

I mean you may be right, but USC’s AD was the AD when Bienamy was coaching in Colorado. I’d think he’ll get a fair shot.

• Like 1

Just now, pwny said:

I mean you may be right, but USC’s AD was the AD when Bienamy was coaching in Colorado. I’d think he’ll get a fair shot.

I made a quick edit - the timeline could be an issue as well. USC has to get a person in place ASAP or they risk losing recruits who might be wavering as is, and Bienemey could be still coaching games at that time.

A deal in principle could be made, but that's still uncertain ground for Bienemey and USC.

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

That AD fired the coaching staff that Bienemy was on in Colorado. Also, Bienemy was absolutely awful while he was OC for the Buffs. No chance he gets hired at USC.

I don't see urban as being the problem. Wasn't my ideal choice but he hasn't had a fair shake.  I think the problem is the jags offense lacks an identity and that's mostly bevells fault. 

However the offense has gradually getting better and it's due to getting our running game more involved.   

I'm not worried about Lawrence and the ints.  A few bad choices and a few unlikely drop/tip ball style ints. 

Another issue is the lack of a credible te threat and just a lack of speed on offense. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

This probably shouldn't be that big of a deal, but Urban Meyer doesn't make it easy on himself. 

It is a big deal; it is a highly unprofessional act and brought even more embarassment to the organization.

This should have been the final straw.

6 minutes ago, biggie. said:

It is a big deal; it is a highly unprofessional act and brought even more embarassment to the organization.

I don’t think it’s that bad 

Blake Bortles was worse. Urban is known for being a social person. Now not flying back with the team that’s interesting. But he probably already had that OKd by Khan. 

12 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I understand head coaches are held to a different standard, but this really isn't that serious.  At least it shouldn't be for fans.  His family?  For sure, his wife should be annoyed. But I don't see why any player on the team would care all that much.  It ain't like he did this before a game or anything.  Dude is still a human after all, and this is coming from someone who does not care for Meyer or the hire by the Jags.

Felt the same way when that video leaked a couple of years ago of Jay Gruden (allegedly) smoking weed and talking to another woman.  Like it really doesn't matter.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1