It's never too early for a Mock-up!!!!

Swampbilly

My first mock of the season.  Let me know what you think.  I'm open to criticism.  If it's just way off then tell me.  I won't be offended.

In this mock I'm predicting we will draft in the 13th position each round.

1.    OG Quentin Nelson Notre Dame, 6-5 330.  Best interior lineman in the 2018 draft.  Great initial push in the run game and a solid pass blocker.
    2.   TE Mark Andrews Oklahoma, 6-5 254.  A player that can get chunk yards from the TE position would be huge for our Offense, and that's just what Andrews is.  During his time at Oklahoma he has produced plays of 59, 64, 61, and 45 yards.  He is averaging 17.3 ypc this season with 30 receptions.
    3.    OG Will Hernandez UTEP, 6-3 330.  Solid run blocker with good inline power.  Should compete for a starting spot immediately, but would certainly provide great depth, at worse, in year 2 at the position.
    4.    DT Vita Vea Washington, 6-5 340.  A difficult player to move when he plays low.  In this mock I predict we move on from Phillips and Vea takes his spot in our DT rotation.
    5.    C   Will Clapp LSU, 6-5 309.  Stout at the point of attack, would likely help at OG if Pouncey is healthy and would be solid depth at C if Pouncey keeps having health issues.
    6.   TE  Ryan Izzo FSU, 6-4 245.  Capable in line receiver and blocker.  Also capable from the HB position.  If Fasano re-signs for another year then I would expect this pick to be a Safety or Corner.
    7.  OLB  Mathew Thomas FSU, 6-4 227.  Developmental player that should contribute immediately on ST.  Has good range for the position and the frame to put on 20 more pounds.

11 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I think very one of those guys should be taken before the end of Day 2.

I could see Vea and Clapp going in the third round, but right now I think they are a couple of fourth rounders at best.  Obviously in this mock I have Clapp sliding to the fifth, but of the players I drafted he has been the toughest to evaluate.  I see Izzo as a 4th at best and I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas goes undrafted.

There is still a lot of season left, and of course the combine and pro days so you could be correct in the end....... If so, then I'll wear a sig of your choosing for one full calendar year.....How bow da??? :D

It is too early, but I think most of those guys will be gone well before you projected them.

Izzo I think is terribly underrated. He might be the best TE if he's in this draft. I'd take him over Andrews. Vea is a huge, athletic, skilled DT. They don't last too long. A lot of mocks have him going Round One. Thomas in Round Two/Three. Martinez Round Two.

In my mock, I'd do 1. Nelson 2. Martinez 3. Izzo

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

It is too early, but I think most of those guys will be gone well before you projected them.

Izzo I think is terribly underrated. He might be the best TE if he's in this draft. I'd take him over Andrews. Vea is a huge, athletic, skilled DT. They don't last too long. A lot of mocks have him going Round One. Thomas in Round Two/Three. Martinez Round Two.

I see Izzo as the 6th or 7th Highest TE prospect in this draft.  His measurables aren't outstanding by any means, although they aren't horrible.  I don't foresee him blowing up the combine or the pro day.  His production is solid but below several other TEs in this draft.  

I think teams will see Vea as a rotational player and this is another very good class of DT's.  At 340 lbs teams will also see a guy that they will have to focus on managing his weight.  I see him as the 5th or 6th best DT prospect in the 2018 draft right now.  Except for major injury I don't see anyway he goes in round 1.  I think late round 2 is a possibility if a run starts on DTs but if that run starts late as I'm predicting then I can see Vea dropping to round 3 or 4 ( where I have him ).

I do consider other mocks, but I think this is the time of year where we see a lot of players being overrated.  Also I consider the upcoming draft of probably having 6 QBs go in the first 2 rounds, and more edge rushers than you can shake a stick at.

The good news for us is I see this class as deep at TE's and pretty solid on interior OLinemen.  On the other hand I don't see it as deep, or deep at all in fact, for OT's which is a position I think we could use some depth at and possibly even a starter.

22 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

After watching more video on Hernandez OG UTEP, I see another guy that will need to have his weight managed, he doesn't jump out on tape to me, I saw more from the OG we drafted last year Asiata.  If we miss out on Nelson in round one, I still wouldn't draft Hernandez before round 3.  I wouldn't be surprised if he actually doesn't get drafted until round 5.  He's a guy that's going to need a great combine performance to go anywhere in the first 3 rounds.

7 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I see a lot of Heath Miller in Izzo. I'm curious to see what he measures in at and runs.

Here's my 4-round mock:

1) Nelson

2) Sweat

3) Izzo

4) Berrios (not expecting Landry to return)

I really like Izzo too and I like the Heath Miller comparison.  I could see him going in the mid to late third round, but I could also see him sliding into the fifth or the sixth.  

Im a Hurricanes fan, so I really love the Berrios pick, but I'm not expecting him to go as early as the fourth round......and especially not to us that high.  We just have too many bigger needs with Caroo and Rashawn Scott on the roster.  

I don't put a premium on slot receivers and that's where Berrios will fit in the NFL.  I would hate to see him as a NE Patriot but he's a Bellicheat kind of receiver.

9 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Im a Hurricanes fan, so I really love the Berrios pick, but I'm not expecting him to go as early as the fourth round......and especially not to us that high.  We just have too many bigger needs with Caroo and Rashawn Scott on the roster.  

I don't put a premium on slot receivers and that's where Berrios will fit in the NFL.  I would hate to see him as a NE Patriot but he's a Bellicheat kind of receiver.

I'm hoping a need or two gets filled in free agency. We presently don't have a 5th round pick, so I took him in the 4th.

Just now, freak_of_nature said:

I wonder if we kick Tunsil back to LG, and try to draft a franchise LT early in Round One.

Might hurt him even worse.. let him work through the kinks. He's been playing next to Jesse Davis and Anthony Steen. Dolphins own his contract rights for another 3 seasons after this one. Patience.

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Might hurt him even worse.. let him work through the kinks. He's been playing next to Jesse Davis and Anthony Steen. Dolphins own his contract rights for another 3 seasons after this one. Patience.

Hopefully we get Larsen game ready and he proves he can be a serviceable Starting LG, and hopefully that helps Tunsil at LT enough that he elevates his play to his draft status.

Then we would just need a RG and C.  I drafted multiple OLinemen in my mock early, but I honestly doubt our GM and HC would even consider multiple rookie OLinemen as starters.  I think they should, but I doubt they will.

Just now, Swampbilly said:

but I honestly doubt our GM and HC would even consider multiple rookie OLinemen as starters.  I think they should, but I doubt they will.

I'm sure it depends on the OL coach they end up hiring. Will be a very important offseason thread to follow.

Archived