Week 4 GDT: Raiders (3-0) vs. Chargers (2-1)

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

54 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yeah but it still didn't change the fact that the Raiders didn't block and also couldn't get a first down until the second half. I still feel like last week was more on us than it was them.

That said, this is the type of game that you have to lose early in the season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but it still didn't change the fact that the Raiders didn't block and also couldn't get a first down until the second half. I still feel like last week was more on us than it was them.

That said, this is the type of game that you have to lose early in the season. 

It means the Chargers D is good.

41 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

He’s a bust having played 4 games. smh. He’s a rookie. Give him a chance. I remember another OT that was a nightmare his rookie season. A lot of posters had him pegged as a bust also.

I think what I've picked up on is that air people on this forum consider a player a reach then what happens is that player can't just be a rookie because that means they're automatically a bust.

Same thing happened last year with the ruggs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

He’s a bust having played 4 games. smh. He’s a rookie. Give him a chance. I remember another OT that was a nightmare his rookie season. A lot of posters had him pegged as a bust also.

We also remember ferrell, who people said people was being hard on and he was a rookie. Also arnette, who under two coaching staff haven't really shown much improvement. I'm not calling him a bust. But how can we expect to be successful this season with the worst center and worst RT while they develop. 

7 hours ago, dante9876 said:

We also remember ferrell, who people said people was being hard on and he was a rookie. Also arnette, who under two coaching staff haven't really shown much improvement. I'm not calling him a bust. But how can we expect to be successful this season with the worst center and worst RT while they develop. 

Plus, it’s not Leatherwood that some of us are criticising - it’s the FO for their poor choices in; decimating the oline; their over confidence in Cable’s draft nous and ability to coach up a totally inexperienced group; and their attempt to save face by talking these young uns up, give James that contract and now leave them exposed through the scheme and game planning when everyone and their granny can see they need help.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I don't think it's a case of him being called a bust, I think it's a case of the Raiders drafting him 17th overall which I'd expect him to at least be an average starter with the rookie hiccups here and there...

From the four games we've seen it's clear he's not ready to start. It's not occasional rookie hiccups but consistently being beat and committing penalties. 

If they're not willing to wait until he's ready then they need to send more help his way for Carr's sake...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Agreed, Leatherwood can definitely bounce back, but there are definitely some signs for concern. 

When Miller had his struggles we weren't really in a make or break season. If we have a disappointing season this year a lot of guys (possibly Mayock/Gruden) are likely gone. 

Plus we've already seen Cable do something pretty similar in Seattle where he gutted their OL and rebuilt it with cheaper, younger guys that he hand selected. Cable drafted James Carpenter, another Alabama OT in the 1st round, who struggled a ton as a rookie and then was slid inside to OG. Which isn't the end of the world but a RG at #17 is pretty bad value unless he's an All-Pro level player. 

I hope the OL figures it out as the year goes on. But Cable inherited a group that already had Hudson/Jackson as anchors on the interior. And then we went out and spent a ton of money on Trent Brown, drafted Kolton highly, and signed Richie. He's going to have to earn is paycheck with James, Simpson, Pat's dude, and Leatherwood starting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reddevil said:

Plus, it’s not Leatherwood that some of us are criticising - it’s the FO for their poor choices in; decimating the oline; their over confidence in Cable’s draft nous and ability to coach up a totally inexperienced group; and their attempt to save face by talking these young uns up, give James that contract and now leave them exposed through the scheme and game planning when everyone and their granny can see they need help.

This is my stance. I curse the FO for basically repeating history with Cable.  He fell out of favor in Seattle for doing exactly this. While in Seattle Cable had more control in drafting players for his unit than any other position coach. Something that appears to have translated to LV with pick like Miller, Parker and Leatherwood. 

When Cable's had talented players, he had some success. Problem is, he'd have these pet projects who he would hold onto for to long trying to squeeze anything out of them (see Andre James).

Cable is not a very good coach and his scheme is lackluster. Force rookies and pet projects into starting roles and this is what you get.