Week 4 GDT: Raiders (3-0) vs. Chargers (2-1)

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

Gruden shares some blame here as well. His scheme is predicated on the run and being physical upfront. He's a run first play caller and decides to dismantle his veteran Oline and rebuild it into this?

I understand those guys were overpaid and many felt they underachieved. Has anyone thought to look at the guy coaching them? 

I've not been a fan of Cable since he joined the Raiders. Maybe this will ineptitude will lead to his firing finally. He's a washed up coach who's schemes have been crap going back to Seattle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Gruden shares some blame here as well. His scheme is predicated on the run and being physical upfront. He's a run first play caller and decides to dismantle his veteran Oline and rebuild it into this?

I understand those guys were overpaid and many felt they underachieved. Has anyone thought to look at the guy coaching them? 

I've not been a fan of Cable since he joined the Raiders. Maybe this will ineptitude will lead to his firing finally. He's a washed up coach who's schemes have been crap going back to Seattle. 

Overreaction.  He did really well with D. Good playing RT last season.  Our current OL is the result of having to trade 2 players and cut one, then two starters going down to start the season.  our OL would be so much better if we had 2019 Inc and D. Good was still healthy.  I'm not firing Cable.  We need to augment our OL with more talent either via mid-season trade or via FA.  We need to be bringing in FAs ASAP.

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

Overreaction.  He did really well with D. Good playing RT last season.  Our current OL is the result of having to trade 2 players and cut one, then two starters going down to start the season.  our OL would be so much better if we had 2019 Inc and D. Good was still healthy.  I'm not firing Cable.  We need to augment our OL with more talent either via mid-season trade or via FA.  We need to be bringing in FAs ASAP.

"having to" is a very loose explanation of what happened here. I also think most here overstate Incognito as a starter. He's 38, the cut him and brought him back for cheap. He missed most of last year with a season ending injury and was injured in week 2 of camp. They had plenty of time to find a capable starter. Good going down was obviously different.

But it goes back to the fact they had little talent to begin with and no real depth behind it. It took one injury to Good to completely derail things. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

"having to" is a very loose explanation of what happened here. I also think most here overstate Incognito as a starter. He's 38, the cut him and brought him back for cheap. He missed most of last year with a season ending injury and was injured in week 2 of camp. They had plenty of time to find a capable starter. Good going down was obviously different.

But it goes back to the fact they had little talent to begin with and no real depth behind it. It took one injury to Good to completely derail things. 

Mayock/Gruden have already shown that they have 100% faith in their assistant coaches. Which is why we drafted players that fit Guenther's "scheme" over better players. We trusted in Cable's ability to coach guys up, yikes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock/Gruden have already shown that they have 100% faith in their assistant coaches. Which is why we drafted players that fit Guenther's "scheme" over better players. We trusted in Cable's ability to coach guys up, yikes.

As someone who is actually a cable supporter, I must say if the offensive line doesn't get better and we look at the end of the season and nothing is change from week 1, we can't just give the guy whatever he wants anymore.

It's one thing to say that he's got us out of some pretty tough situation and having to shuffle the office of line with whatever he had at the time but it's another thing to say look you hand-picked John Simpson you backed Andre James and he said let's go get Leatherwood and then they go out there and lay an egg every single week

Now yes they are all inexperienced but at the same time if they weren't ready to play you can't just put them out there. I have no problem with inexperienced players playing but they have to perform and at least show us that they can do something they haven't shown it to us yet

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

As someone who is actually a cable supporter, I must say if the offensive line doesn't get better and we look at the end of the season and nothing is change from week 1, we can't just give the guy whatever he wants anymore.

The exact same thing happened in Seattle though. They tore down their OL and replaced everyone with Cable's guys and they immediately became one of the worst units in the league. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/job-one-for-the-seahawks-as-they-move-on-from-tom-cable-draft-better-on-the-offensive-line/

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The exact same thing happened in Seattle though. They tore down their OL and replaced everyone with Cable's guys and they immediately became one of the worst units in the league. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/job-one-for-the-seahawks-as-they-move-on-from-tom-cable-draft-better-on-the-offensive-line/

To be fair to the Seattle situation I don't think we have that whole thing was his fault. The line didn't really have a whole lot invested in it and specifically those two years where the rushing went down they also moved on from Marshawn Lynch and went with Christian Michel and Seattle has not been the best at draft running backs in the Pete Carroll era. 

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Weren't there articles that Hudson wanted out after they asked G. Jackson to take a pay cut or they'd release/trade him?  Isn't that how we lost those two?  I remember reading that all over the internet.  It's like posters in this forum forgot that.  Am I just dreaming this?  I'll look again to see if I can find articles about it.  Hudson wanted to be traded because of the pay cut to G. Jackson and because he wanted to go to a contender.  Wasn't this written somewhere?

• Like 1

https://justblogbaby.com/2021/03/16/raiders-rodney-hudson-asked-release/

Only place I can find it now.  Felt like it was everywhere when it happened.  Is what it is.  

10 hours ago, Jerry said:

Weren't there articles that Hudson wanted out after they asked G. Jackson to take a pay cut or they'd release/trade him?  Isn't that how we lost those two?  I remember reading that all over the internet.  It's like posters in this forum forgot that.  Am I just dreaming this?  I'll look again to see if I can find articles about it.  Hudson wanted to be traded because of the pay cut to G. Jackson and because he wanted to go to a contender.  Wasn't this written somewhere?

They released then ultimately traded Jackson. Then asked Hudson to take a pay cut which he wasn't going to do. Upset him and he asked for his release. 

Fans want the story to be "he didn't want to be here and asked for his release" to make themselves feel better. Reality, they asked the best player on the team,  a guy who has for years gave his all to the organization, played injured, etc. to take a pay cut. You'd be disgruntled too. 

The Raiders could have smoothed it over, but instead traded him to AZ.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

They released then ultimately traded Jackson. Then asked Hudson to take a pay cut which he wasn't going to do. Upset him and he asked for his release. 

Fans want the story to be "he didn't want to be here and asked for his release" to make themselves feel better. Reality, they asked the best player on the team,  a guy who has for years gave his all to the organization, played injured, etc. to take a pay cut. You'd be disgruntled too. 

Exactly, this is what I was saying back then when it happened 

I think last year, after the dolphins or Kc game, Gruden came out and said something along the lines of, last week you 'the media' said we scored to quick, this week we took a knee to kill clock and now youre rosting me' 

and it made me realize just how bad his game management is. Comparing giving KC the ball back with 2 mins, to a dolphins team lol. 

I now can see Gruden saying, last year everyone said our Oline was overpaid, so we cut/traded them away, and now youre roasting me. 
leading me to believe he also has no feel for how to build a team.

Gruden could be a great HC if he let other people do their roles. 
He is a great play designer, but needs a proper play caller. 
He needs to stay out of the draft room. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Well crap.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  Team didn't think he was worth his contract and thought our backup would survive.  We obviously made the wrong decision 4 weeks in.  Hopefully things work out in the long run and get better.

Never fails the social media Kool aid fans. Sidebar We should have a thread of just the Outlandish takes from all around Raider Nation

On 10/8/2021 at 6:56 AM, big_palooka said:

Sounds somewhat similar to the Mack catastrophe, except it wasn't about a pay cut.

• Like 1