Week 4 GDT - Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Well, last week was disappointing as lost to a team that we matched up well on paper again. And guess is next? A team that has routinely owned us and know exactly how to stop Jimmy.

There is no need to sugarcoat it, our offense for the most part has been pathetic the last two weeks. The run game is nonexistent and Jimmy has been very inconsistent. Every single drive is a grind and we are no long producing explosive plays. As I mentioned a few times already, losing Mostert was HUGE since he is a HR threat out of the backfield and can take any run to the house. He makes up Jimmy not throwing the ball down the field....Speaking of Jimmy, the book is out on him and has been out on him. Teams are now bringing their safeties closer to the LOS and clogging the middle of the field. Even when the Seahawks have not been good defensively the last two years, they have done well against Jimmy because they take the middle of the field away from him. The Seahawks corners can be had on the outside, especially Flowers. Our WRs should be able to win those match ups but it is not going to matter if Jimmy does not at least try to attempt passes to the sideline. One thing I do not have faith in is our interior OL handling their DTs. That's going to be a big issue so I'm curious to see how Shanny game plans around that. Will be tough to run the ball against the Seahawks as it has been tough the last two weeks, but you know Shanny will at least try to establish some sort of running game. Mitchell may give it a go this week and that should help a bit but will be tough going regardless of who the RB is with the way teams are defending this offense. This has to be a big week for Kittle and Deebo....Deebo owned the Seahawks in 2019 and did not face them last season. Expect a lot of Deebo early and often this game. Was good to see Aiyuk finally get some touches as well and that should now continue since he has apparently beat out Sherfield for the WR2 job LOL.

Defensively, we all know Wilson has given us fits for years but their WRs have a huge advantage against our corners. Norman has to go this week for this secondary to have any sort of chance at slowing down the Seahawks passing game. He can at least use his size and physicality to give DK some issues and on the other hand Moseley should be okay against Lockett. If Norman cannot go, I would have him follow Lockett and then play bracket coverage on DK with Lenoir. Moseley started to follow Adams late in the game and got a few stops against him but then in the last possession, Ryans took him off of Adams and went into a different coverage that allowed him to make two big plays. Expect a lot of two man this game which will allow Carson to eat this defense up in the game. And guess what? I'm okay with that opposed to Wilson dropping bombs over the DBs heads all game long. Unlike Rodgers who was averaging like 2.15 seconds per pass for much of the game, Wilson does not get rid of the ball that quickly. That may play to this pass rush's hands but do we have the rushers to get to him?? It's literally Bosa or bust at this point and now teams are just chipping him left and right. Who else can get home? Ford only got 18 rushes last game and it didn't even matter since Rodgers was getting rid of it so quickly. Ford has the speed to chase Wilson down if he gets to the edge but he needs to play disciplined unlike how he played against Hurts.

The Seahawks have dropped back to back games and we just blew one late vs the Packers...Kind of feels like a must win for both teams. Not sure if I am being a homer here or not, but I think we pull it off late with another last minute drive...this time no time is left on the clock for Wilson to drive it down the field to win the game:

49ers 27

Seahawks 24

• Like 1

This has been happening more and more the last few weeks. Really takes our pass rush away when Bosa is not a factor. Opposing teams are sacrificing their TEs and RBs in the passing game just to stop Bosa. Look at how many yards the Eagles TEs and Tonyan had and even the backs on both teams. I am all for Bosa getting some inside rushes. 

Yeah, this is one I will definitely go with Seattle on. We have never quite gotten the Seattle thing down fully and we will have no answer for Russ and DK / Lockett. Going to be a bit of a rough stretch for us as Arizona the following week is a nightmare matchup as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, this is one I will definitely go with Seattle on. We have never quite gotten the Seattle thing down fully and we will have no answer for Russ and DK / Lockett. Going to be a bit of a rough stretch for us as Arizona the following week is a nightmare matchup as well. 

Arizona does not impress me that much. Think they are in for one this week against the Rams. The Jags were outplaying them and leading 19-10 before they started doing Jags types of things...But either way, at worst we got to get one of the next two games. Sitting at 3-2 with IND/CHI after the bye week would still put us in a good position.

We completely stymied their offense in the second meeting but that was with Spoon/Verrett playing at high levels in single man coverage. We don't have that right now so the game plan has to change. Look for more two man coverages to take the deep ball away and give the Seahawks favorable running downs...Basically, I do not see Ford playing much. It's going to be a grind of a game but the Seahawks not getting as many big plays will force them to beat us with long drives...which they are totally capable of doing but also will keep the score a bit lower. 

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

We've really struggled dealing with deep balls in pretty much every look, but especially in man and Russ can do more than draw PIs on them. It's going to be rough sledding on defense. The question is how badly will the offense play? Our C and RG have been absolutely cooked in back to back weeks. Green Bay is hurting on defense and we averaged 4 yards a play. We have no more real explosiveness at running back - even pending a Mitchell return. And we're down to essentially gimmick plays and throwing at a 15x20 square in the middle of the field to actually make positive plays. It's a vanishingly small target to hit and Seattle has given Jimmy fits in 5 of the 9 quarters that he's been available to play them. It's definitely possible that their defense is so bad that they give Jimmy slants and dig routes and deep curls in the center over and over again. And it's possible that Seattle ties to run the ball too often when they should just chuck the ball around. But I wouldn't count on it. And I'm struggling to count on the coaching staff to give Lance a chance if we get off to another terrible offensive start. I think he'll keep attempting to let Jimmy play out of it - and at some point he won't be able to. 

• Like 2

Candlestick was never a homefield advantage either. 

Anyway, Wilson has never lost three straight. Hard to see that happening. The entire squad three games in is looking rough with injuries. Really concerned about the secondary and Jimbo's play. Shanahan will have to call a hell of a game to get the offense clicking. I'll say 49ers over the Seahawks 23-17.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

49ers rank 2nd in pass blocking efficiency by PFF's metrics after three games.

Means very little since in obvious passing downs they get whipped like always. We have one dominant OL in pass pro in Williams and that's it. McGlinchey has played well so props to him but easy to be good in pass pro when your QB gets rid of the ball in like 2 seconds. When he has to hold it longer? We see what happens.

• Like 1

If we would have signed Casey Hayward to a one year 4M deal or whatever he got from the Raiders, this team is 3-0 and looking much better going forward. Just a terrible decision not going after him or offering him a legitimate deal. 

This is the game where we see if Ryans is up to the task or not. Let's see what kind of adjustments he is able to make and if he gets Bosa more interior rushes to prevent him from getting chipped on every rush. 

This defense also is not creating any turnovers which is not helping matters. Someone is going to have to make some plays on that end and force Wilson into some errors. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Alright @Forge, is it possible we sign Gilmore this offseason or make a trade for him? This team likes these veteran CBs and he's surely going to be available one way or another. With Jimmy's contract off the books, how are we looking in terms of giving Bosa his big deal and signing a top CB? 

Financially I'm sure we can wiggle around it. We have free space but lots of openings, so it's just about structuring your signings.   I'm not sure how much we are going to want to pay him though

I can't see us trading for him, but adding him this year would require sightly more gymnastics.