When does Belichick's seat start to get hot?

notthatbluestuff

I know what you're thinking - we're talking about Bill Belichick, greatest coach of all time - and I agree 100%. That said, how much more losing will Kraft and Patriots fans tolerate before they call for a change?

Belichick was always going to have to rebuild after Brady, that's a given. No-one could step in and replicate what Brady did. Most people would say that finishing 7-9 with that roster last season was a testament to his coaching abilities - but he did build that terrible roster, after all.

Granted, it's still VERY early; but all that money invested this offseason has yet to pay dividends. He has a rookie QB, but that's the way he wanted it. He spent significant money to bolster the roster (something he rarely, if ever, did when Brady was there) yet the Patriots look set to be blown to kingdom come when Brady's Bucs come to town on Sunday. 

It's Belichick, I get it - he deserves time to see this rebuild through and develop Mac. But hypothetically, how many losses are simply too many for New England? 

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

When he retires and goes into commentary and refuses to speak when on live tv.

edit: Leaving the seat to go on break and his dog just sits there buys him another season though.

Interesting - so you think he could rack up losing season after losing season and Pats fans would never want a change? 

I was thinking the same thing the other day.. Say the Pats go 7-10 this year, followed by another year or two of .500 or below .500 play... he'll never get fired imo but if they keep stacking losing seasons I can see him "stepping down" for a "break" in a couple years. 

If you look at the FA signings and his draft picks, it's pretty bad.

• Like 1

Just now, notthatbluestuff said:

Interesting - so you think he could rack up losing season after losing season and Pats fans would never want a change? 

I'm sure if the Patriots wanted to get rid of him there would be only two options. Either retirement or he gets traded. I'm sure NYG would give up a pretty pick for him. Imagine Jimmy G replacing Daniel Jones, Scarnecchia out of retirement to quick fix the OL, Saquon rebound and a defense already prepped for his style of coaching.

I find it nearly impossible that he gets fired for just losing. Fired would take a pretty big scandal.

• Like 2

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why don't we ask unemployed Bill O'Brian, he'll know!

BOB never won anything in Houston and essentially nuked their roster. Bill had 19 consecutive winning seasons in New England including 6 Super Bowl wins, 3 Super Bowl losses, and 4 AFC championship game losses. He's going to be 70 years old next season, I'm assuming if the Mac Jones experiment doesn't work this year they may make 1 more desperate QB move and then Bill just retires if they still aren't good.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

BOB never won anything in Houston and essentially nuked their roster. Bill had 19 consecutive winning seasons in New England including 6 Super Bowl wins, 3 Super Bowl losses, and 4 AFC championship game losses. He's going to be 70 years old next season, I'm assuming if the Mac Jones experiment doesn't work this year they may make 1 more desperate QB move and then Bill just retires if they still aren't good.

It was just a joke. I don't think Belichick would ever face a hot seat in New England based on what he's brought to that organization before he just outright retires as the best HC in NFL history.