When does Belichick's seat start to get hot?

notthatbluestuff

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Lol. The seat doesn’t get hot for a 6 time SB winning HC. 

Is that really the mentality of Pats fans, though? "We're just glad to have won so much in the past. We're set for life. Keep losing Bill - no matter what happens, we're always happy!" That's not like any Bostonian I've known. 

7 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Is that really the mentality of Pats fans, though? "We're just glad to have won so much in the past. We're set for life. Keep losing Bill - no matter what happens, we're always happy!" That's not like any Bostonian I've known. 

he had one 7-9 season with a QB they signed at the start of camp, in a season where 8 players - several of whom were major contributors - opted out during the pandemic. Now he's working on getting a 1st round rookie up to snuff for the first time ever. "Keep losing Bill" doesn't enter the conversation for quite a while. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

he had one 7-9 season with a QB they signed at the start of camp, in a season where 8 players - several of whom were major contributors - opted out during the pandemic. Now he's working on getting a 1st round rookie up to snuff for the first time ever. "Keep losing Bill" doesn't enter the conversation for quite a while. 

But how long is that “quite a while”? That’s the question I’m asking. 

And the answer certainly isn’t “uhhh, never.” 

Not for a while, but given his own philosophy about every other individual on a team, it shouldn't be forever. If they can't put together a winning season in the next few years, he'll catch some heat.

Being 1-2 with a rookie QB, especially considering one of those losses should be a win except for a really dumb late-game fumble, is really not that bad.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I will push back on this.  NFL is a what have you done for me lately league, and fans used to winning are the least patient of all.

If the Pats put together a losing season this year, fans will call for his head already.  Especially if Brady and the Bucs have another great season.

Will he get fired?  No, but come on.  Yall saw Pats fans lose their minds and call for changes when they lost season openers.  You really think they'd let Belichick stick around if he kept losing?

In the hypothetical scenario where he has a losing season this year, I think his seat is warm in 2022.  Hot in 2023.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That being said, let’s say it did, he’s only 2 full seasons removed from a SB. They lost their franchise QB in FA. I’d see he gets at least 3 more years before you even consider it, barring disastrous results.

Seems so weird saying BB won 6 and Brady  won 7 SBs

When someone is the legend that Bill Belichick is for their franchise, I don't see how his seat gets hot.  I mean everyone kind of knew what Kobe Bryant was by his last year in LA but you weren't about to sit there and tell him nah, we don't want you anymore.

If it ever came down to it where Kraft truly thought a change was needed, he'd nudge Belichick in the direction of retirement long before he decided to pull the trigger on firing him.

• Like 5