When does Belichick's seat start to get hot?

notthatbluestuff

Bill is old enough that I don't think he could live long enough to use up the equity he has built up over the last two decades.  If I were Robert Kraft, I'd let him coach as long as he wants to.  That said, i sure don't see Bill having too many losing seasons in a row.

• Like 2

I guess Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry. Landry had probably the most impressive HC run then some ~.500 seasons and a stinker followed by Jerry Jones buying the team and firing him. I guess there's some path the Krafts sell and some new owner just wants to be the guy.

I really think the most likely is BB has a leash as long as he wants and then retires directly into a gold jacket. I'd think it's in the next 5 years as well so he's <80 when he gets inducted into the HOF. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Brady retire and the same time and get inducted the same year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Bill the GM’s seat should already be hot, frankly he owes still having his job to Bill the coach.

The only reason Bill the GM hasn't been fired yet is because of Bill the coach.

Just emphasizing the second part of your comment.

The Pats are smart enough to have a realistic timeline around this. Last year was a completely planned non-competitive season. No one can convince me otherwise. The way they had contracts structures was 100% designed to have the first post-Brady season be a blow it up season. You bring in Cam just because you didn't have the capital in the 2020 offseason to draft a QB you actually wanted, and even Bill doesn't love Hoyer enough to roll with him a full year. So throw out last year, first of all. Last year doesn't matter, period.

So I think you take this as year one of the rebuild. They're kind of that weird mix right now of young, recent draft picks they're trying to develop, and vets who probably won't be around to see the end of the rebuild, good or bad. So they have more pieces they'll have to turnover over the next year or two. If Jones is good, they'll be able to start winning a bit while doing that. But I think, same as if you were hiring a new coach to turn over a roster, you give him that sort of time. That 2 - 3 years, depending on what signs you see in year two.

Like many have said, I don't think they'd fire him. I think there's probably enough respect to not have the optics of that. I think it would come out as a stepping down. But, if I were his age, I wouldn't want to hang around if the roster they're working on now doesn't pan out. Like, if Jones busts, they've got another what, 3+ years until they can really compete?

• Like 4

As Chaz said, Bill the coach is a genius working with bad situations that Bill the GM put Bill the coach in. 

Bill the coach has a job until he doesn't want it.

I think it's too early to predict 'losing season after losing season' but if that happens, I'd predict Bill will have retired by then.

Apparently Bill O'Brien tried to get fired from Houston because he thought he had a really good chance to replace Belichick down the road.  And that the Patriots discussed it internally too.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32294122/new-england-patriots-book-goes-secretive-controversial-franchise-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick

5 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Belichick, Jackson, Popovich, Krzyzewski, Torre etc…. Father Time catches up to coaches too (except Saban).  If they don’t turn it around in year 2 of the Mac era Kraft will start getting inpatient.

BB is done if Mac busts. One way or the other although I believe he just retires. 2022 feels right. Next year you are expecting a jump from the rookie QBs and if it doesn't happen, you set back your franchise for several years and then Belichick will be too old anyway.

If Mac Jones busts, I could actually see him getting one more year. Blame the QB not the coach, kinda thing. Then he gets one more rookie season.

And yes, he would probably retire if he started getting a hot seat, but the question is when his seat gets hot, not does he get fired.

Let’s use college as an example: Phil Fulmer had two losing seasons his whole career at UT (92 to 08): 2005 and 2008.

If you’d asked anyone in 2004, he was fire-proof too. Native Tennessean, played there, had been a celebrated coordinator before taking over, recruited Peyton Manning, won a National Championship, and averaged less than 3 losses a season (121-24 without bowls).

He had two losing seasons and was fired immediately after the second. The year before that, Tennessee won the SEC East and lost the championship by a TD to the eventual National Champion, LSU.

Not as impressive a resume as BB, but not far behind. And was still fired.

• Like 1