When does Belichick's seat start to get hot?

notthatbluestuff

I'm going to say it won't get hot before he would simply decide to retire. 

As a few have pointed out, he was always going to have to rebuild. 2020 was effectively year-0 on that for all sorts of reasons. 

2021 and the Mac Jones era. That buys Bill at least until 2023 to see if Jones can be "the guy". Inserting talent around him and having a good D is a bit secondary. 

I think the Pats and Kraft would give him another crack at a QB if Jones were to wind up flopping. But Bill will be like 71 by that point and doesn't seem like the guy to start and not see through to completion. 

So I can see him retiring long before his seat actually starts heating up. 

3 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I think hes done enough for the franchise that his seat will never get hot and will only open up when he decides he wants to stop coaching

Pretty much. 👏👏

Why people on here think a 6x SB winning HC for that Franchise would ever be fired by Robert Craft rather then walking away on his own terms is mindboggling to me. But hey Agenda away people agenda away!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

When he starts pooping his pant and forgetting to wear shoes.

I was at the OSU v PSU game when that happened to JoePa. That was 2006, he got 5 years after pooping his pants. So I'd assume BB gets the same treatment. 

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Who said anything about getting fired?

What's the definition or end result of "being on the Hot seat"? 

Your own quote?

how many losses are simply too many for New England? 

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

What's the definition or end result of "being on the Hot seat"? 

In other words, you didn’t read the thread. 

If his seat is hot, it means there are calls for a change to be made. If he keeps losing, Kraft is not going to sit there happily thinking about the past. Whether he’s traded, given a nudge to step down, retires, it will likely because there are calls for such a thing to happen. Why? Because Kraft/media/fans are not happy with continued losing (IF he does keep losing). That’s when he has a hot seat. 

18 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

You can't win in this league without a QB though, not even BB.  To a certain extent, everyone just plays the QB lottery until they hit.

Correct. It was always Brady. I took plenty of ridicule on Dolphin sites over the years for emphasizing that. Miami fans hate Brady because they cling to the notion of Marino as all timer. Meanwhile it was blatantly obvious. You didn't need to watch one game. If a quarterback and coach are together for that long with that degree of success then it's the quarterback. Generalities overwhelm specifics. The people who fooled themselves into believing otherwise were the ones who did watch the games. Glorious subjectivity leading astray, per norm.

Brady made Belichick immune from the mid to low scoring defeat. I detailed those numbers here last season. I don't have them handy right now but New England won something like 80% of the time while allowing 27 or fewer with Brady as starter. Without Brady as starter, Belichick is 50/50 range when allowing 27 or fewer. He lost the opener to Miami when allowing 17. 

Once Brady was gone the absolute priority for Belichick should have been the quarterback most likely to put up points, no matter what he looks like out there. Maybe he thought it was Newton, despite the chicken wing mechanics and no touch whatsoever. Now he's got a quarterback who can throw the rainbow but as rookie you've got to accept not many touchdowns will accompany. I seriously hope Patriot fans were not devoting typical time in 2021 to analyzing their roster specifically offensive skill positions and scheme. All of that is regulated when a rookie quarterback is starting. 

6 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Paraphrasing here but I remember Bill saying "I don't want to be coaching in my 70s like Marv Levy," so he might retire soon anyway. 

He also said he didn't know what he would feel like at 70 and now that he's almost 70 he feels great according to him. So he did walk that back. Right now his son is coaching under him. I assume he enjoys that. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Pretty much. 👏👏

Why people on here think a 6x SB winning HC for that Franchise would ever be fired by Robert Craft rather then walking away on his own terms is mindboggling to me. But hey Agenda away people agenda away!

This is the answer. He's never going to get fired. His worst case scenario is a Shula like situation where he knows it's over and just walks away before people remember too many of the bad years.