Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

I think we can all agree that Nagy has to go as quickly as possible given he has proven he is completely incapable of developing an offence that can work in the NFL...so as much as I don't doubt we will have to suffer through the rest of the season with him at the helm I figured we could start to look ahead at some of the potential candidates to be our next OC...I am going to collate as much info as possible on candidates, strengths and weaknesses, their offensive philosophies & schemes, what kinds of staffs they could bring with them & how could they impact this franchise overall...here are the guys I want to look at in no particular order or based on how much I like them (Hate McDaniels haha)...

Brian Daboll...Buffalo Bills OC

Byron Leftwich...Tampa Bay Buccaneers OC

Joe Brady...Carolina Panthers OC

Josh McDaniels...New England Patriots OC

Kellen Moore...Dallas Cowboys OC

Kevin O'Connell...LA Rams OC

Klint Kubiak...Minnesota Vikings OC

Mike McDaniel...San Francisco 49ers OC

Shane Waldron...Seattle Seahawks OC

Who else would you like to see as a potential candidate for the top job?

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

I think, at the moment, we should also hope Spurious George and Teddy Bears fire Nagy ASAP. What that means to them...who knows. They may well be considering a ten year extension for Nagy as I post this. 

Long term? I like Daboll or Brady or Campbell from ISU. And I'm sure I could go all in on others. I want NOTHING to do with Jim Harbaugh...but you just know Spurious George is at least going to have an interview (if they don't extend Nagy for the next decade, that is.)

Short term? That's sort of an agonizing choice. Desai has not impressed me AT ALL with his defensive playcalling. It's been subpar, at best. Which bums me out because I had such high hopes for him. But...he seems to be a better leader than Lazor (even though Lazor is obviously the superior coach, overall). Not only that, but Lazor has his hands full with the weaker side of the squad.

Wow. You know what they should do? Bring back Lovie Smith. And I'm not joking. 

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think, at the moment, we should also hope Spurious George and Teddy Bears fire Nagy ASAP. What that means to them...who knows. They may well be considering a ten year extension for Nagy as I post this. 

Long term? I like Daboll or Brady or Campbell from ISU. And I'm sure I could go all in on others. I want NOTHING to do with Jim Harbaugh...but you just know Spurious George is at least going to have an interview (if they don't extend Nagy for the next decade, that is.)

Short term? That's sort of an agonizing choice. Desai has not impressed me AT ALL with his defensive playcalling. It's been subpar, at best. Which bums me out because I had such high hopes for him. But...he seems to be a better leader than Lazor (even though Lazor is obviously the superior coach, overall). Not only that, but Lazor has his hands full with the weaker side of the squad.

Wow. You know what they should do? Bring back Lovie Smith. And I'm not joking. 

Never got the Bears over the top

Stunk in Tampa

Stunk at Illinois

But yeah, bring back a guy who nobody in the NFL will ever hire again to be their head coach

I'd add Campbell from ISU to the list - in the vain of Matt Rhule, he's a college coach that isn't at a top program but has a lot of success, which i believe make the best NFL coaches. The reason for this being is because they aren't a "top program" they don't typically land the best prospects. they then tend to be better at development and getting the best out of their players by putting them in the best positions. this translates really well to the nfl because there normally is a great amount of parity throughout the league, and there typically isn't a dominate top team like a bama/OSU/oklahoma/georgia

That being said, my list would go:

1) Brian Daboll - what he has done with the bills offense is incredible. 

2) Shane Waldron - gets us in the "mcvay" tree that hopefully would give us the ability to play in a current nfl offense. downside is only one year as an OC, but that worked out ok for lefleur in GB

3) Moore - cowboys offense has looked really good the last couple years with dak, and fields compares very favorable to him.

4) Brady/Campbell - campbell for the reasons listed above, brady because he would be able to take our offense to a modern level and also be able to put his offensive players in the best position to succeed 

I don't know many of the candidates, but I have been impressed by the former LSU guy/current Carolina OC named Brady.

LSU was dominant under his watch with Burrow, and he's gotten way more out of Carolina than I expected..... I am a bit concerned that he way over utlizes McCaffrey, but at least he knows who his weapons are, and how to use those weapons.

Sorry guys.  I'm not even gonna go there until after Nagy is gone and the dust settles around the last dying embers of his coaching.

I'm not even sure what we have and what we don't have and I sure as hell have no confidence in Pace or Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber choosing the next HC.  That's the problem you see.  Phillips and GMcC were all on board with first hiring Phi Emery, then allowing Emery to fire the second winningest HC we've had post GSH himself, who then hired Mark Trestman after having passed on Bruce Arians.

That ended in both Emery and Trestman being fired for putting a team on the field that was only slightly more embarrassing than what we've seen with Matt Nagy and about equal to what we saw under John Fox whom GMcC and Teddy Bears hired to replace Trestman and don't anyone tell me that Pace hired him.  BS....Pace got stuck with him which then set us back another 3 years and ended with a bad choice for a rookie QB.

Now we have to fire Nagy whom Pace sold as the solution to all of our offensive problems forever.

This list of possible prospects is nice Mike but let's remember that Nagy was once "the hot prospect" OC from the Andy Reid coaching tree just as Dave Wannstadt was once "the hot prospect DC" from Dallas and the Jimmy Johnson coaching tree.  Both failed whereas Ditka was no one's "hot prospect" but old man Halas'.  And Lovie Smith was a LB coach with just two years experience as a DC for St Louis when we hired him yet those two have been our only winning coaches over the past 40 years!!!!  Gimme the next Vince Lombardi will ya'.  He was no hot prospect either.

You know what I believe the problem is?  It's systemic.  The Bears are a losing organization because they have never been run like a winning organization under McCaskey ownership.  They simply don't know enough about pro football to build a winning organization and they refuse to hire people to replace them that do.  Sure, they've hired GMs but they're never far from the decision process when it comes to making major decisions and neither is Ted Phillips who also knows far too little about NFL football to be a Team President/CEO.

So hiring new HCs and even GMs is still being done by two people who have no business doing it period.  Each time we do this were only treating the outward symptoms of failure and never treating the root cause of the illness itself......McCaskey ownership and decision making.  So IMHO hiring a new HC and even a new GM is like treating a brain tumor with Advil.  The headache may go away for a little while but the cancer is still there.  The McCaskey's and Ted Phillips are that cancer and they're killing the Bears just as sure as brain tumor will kill a human being.

So you can tear it all down and start over again but unless that tumor that is McCaskey ownership and Phillips management is removed the patient won't ever heal and be whole again.  Forty years of the same old **** is at least 30 years too many.  That was clear in the early '90s when along with Dave Wannstadt Mike McCaskey thought he could be his own GM and save the team a few bucks.  The players who had carried the team throughout the '80s were gone and we never replaced them.  That was the beginning of where we're still at right now.

My apathy has returned in full force but also with a burning anger for having somehow thought that maybe this time it could be different at least a half dozen times over the past 40 years.  Sell the team George.  Sell the team and become real estate developers up in Arlington Heights.  Swallow your pride and let someone who cares enough to actually hire the right people have it.  You are not Halases and you never will be.  You're McCaskeys.  Sons of a guy GSH called the dumbest SOB he'd ever met and you're proving the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

• Like 2

A lot of good coaching names this year. My concern with Daboll is that he looks like a shorter and fatter Matt Nagy and he's from Canada 😂

Jokes aside he is a very good candidate who has coached under some legends like Belichick and Saban and who has done wonders with Josh Allen's development. He's at the top of my list right now and I think he's ready to lead a team. The players seem to love him.

Both Kellen Moore and Joe Brady are intriguing options but I'm not sure if either have that alpha leadership quality to them to be a HC after listening to them speak in interviews 

They're also both very young and I'm not sure they are ready for that big stage just yet. After all not every young up and coming OC is going to have success like McVay did. That's more of an exception to the rule.

Don't know much about the other like Waldron but will definitely have lots of time to research