Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

He's kind of an anti-Nagy in the personality dept, and I can udnerstand wanting to swing the other way, but he's coached in Denver and St Louis, and the offenses were never very good plus he has had some serious style and politics problems.  It's tempting to think you're getting NE's adaptable offenses, but they were still good when he was gone, and he hasn't really showed that in the other two places he's been. I mean MAYBE he's not the same guy anymore and MAYBE he's the Bellichik castoff that won't flameout, but it's tough to see George learning anything about him and not freaking out.  If I recall he did interview with the Bears, does anyone recall how that went? Not leading, just genuinely can't recall. 

IMHO it would be a huge mistake to think that McDaniel has changed all that much or that he's been solely responsible for NE success.  For the most part that claim belongs to Tom Brady.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it's time we took a risk because what we are doing just now is getting us no where.

Mike, why are you suddenly on this Josh McDaniel tangent when Daboll and Moore were your front runners?  You keep beating on this like TFG does about having been cheated out of winning the 2020 election.

If the Bears interviewed McDaniel back in 2017 why didn't they hire him instead of Nagy?  If anything McDaniel would have been seen as having been more successful for a longer period of time than Nagy.

Doesn't that tell you something?

18 minutes ago, soulman said:

Now with this you've posted something I can finally subscribe to.  They have hired nice guy types because they see themselves as nice guy types and they want to work with nice guy types.  This should have been obvious as long ago as 1992 when "Mikey" fired Ditka and replaced him with Dave Wannstadt who was the hot coordinator of the moment back then.

No one will ever call Mike Ditka a "nice guy" type.

This is where I agree 100% with David Kaplan which I almost never do.  GMcC and Teddy Bears need to get out of the business of hiring upper management for their team.  They're both far too incompetent and as a result they tend to hire others who are also incompetent at their jobs.  This goes all the way back to the hiring of Wanny so Mikey could keep playing GM.

Kap is right.  They need to find a top NFL exec and turn over everything related to the football team to him and Ryan Pace is not that guy.  I've suggested moving him to a VP level job and possibly promoting Josh Lucas or Champ Kelly to the GM role ONLY because that's the kind of wishy washy move Phillips and GMcC might be comfortable making and it may change nada.

George Halas was the Godfather of the NFL and even the modern NFL yet even he knew his days as the best guy to run his team had past.  Mugs convinced him to hire Jim Finks who at that time was one of the top NFL team builders.  Finks would only accept the job IF he had full authority over the team and both player and coaching personnel.  GSH gave him that.

George Halas of all people did what the McCaskeys have refused to do and more than anything this is why we've had over 30 years of frustration and far more failures than success.  If they continue along the same path I would suggest that little or nothing will change.  Overall the Bears will remain a mediocre team because they have mediocre management and owners.

If they refuse to sell the team and refuse to replace Ted Phillips with a top notch team builder who will hold everyone down to the water boys and cleat cleaners responsible for building a winning organization nothing will change enough to make much of a difference.  Maybe the time has come to simply accept that we have become another Cleveland Browns.

At some point you have non-football people hiring a football person. Maybe it’s easier for them to hire a VP with more knowledge of the specifics to how the right GM. But remember - a football guy was heavily involved in hiring Pace and Fox.

Bottom line George and Ted need to hire better football people and they need to be more proactive in holding those people accountable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This was also the bad luck of a historically bad college QB class.  Top 4 QBs taken in 2010 were Bradford, (number 1 overall), Tebow, Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy and they went down hill from there.   

Which is precisely why trading Cutler made no sense to any Bronco fan.  Especially not when they replaced him with Kyle Orton.  Granted that Cutler was not a good fit for McDaniel but it wasn't McDaniel who drafted him.  It was Mike Shanahan.

John Elway was no different than Jay Cutler in so many ways yet Shanny finally figured out how to win big with him.  Cutler had many of the same flaws yet Shanahan saw how he could also win big with him. 

Jay Cutler would have been far more successful in Denver under Mike Shanahan than he ever was in Chicago.  That much I'm 100% certain of because Shanny had already built an offense Cutler could run well.  We never did.

23 minutes ago, soulman said:

Mike, why are you suddenly on this Josh McDaniel tangent when Daboll and Moore were your front runners?  You keep beating on this like TFG does about having been cheated out of winning the 2020 election.

If the Bears interviewed McDaniel back in 2017 why didn't they hire him instead of Nagy?  If anything McDaniel would have been seen as having been more successful for a longer period of time than Nagy.

It tells me that Pace and McDaniels probably didn't mesh which is why I mentioned in a previous post that if the Bears (aka George & Teddy) are hoping to land someone like McDaniels then Pace absolutely has to go and I would have no issue with that whatsoever.

They've been trying the same old damn thing for years of hiring a unknown GM without success. No one knew of either Emery or Pace before they got interviews with the Bears. They both came out of nowhere.

Who knows.. maybe if they go after a HC first and let him pair himself up with his own GM it may actually be the change that's needed.

I'm not saying either way is better but just that it can't hurt to try because they haven't found much success otherwise.

9 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

At some point you have non-football people hiring a football person. Maybe it’s easier for them to hire a VP with more knowledge of the specifics to how the right GM. But remember - a football guy was heavily involved in hiring Pace and Fox.

Bottom line George and Ted need to hire better football people and they need to be more proactive in holding those people accountable.

Ernie Accorsi was in a very unenviable position.  Several top prospects including Eric DeCosta had already turned down even interviewing for the Bears GM job so the short list had gotten even shorter.

To sell a rookie GM to them Accorsi packaged him with Fox who had pretty much been booted from Denver over having been beaten by Seattle in a SB because he was too arrogant and set in his own mind to take their defense seriously.  I saw that game.  It was pathetic.

You want my impression of that hire?

It's like one mother needs a date for her "little Jimmy" so he can go to his junior prom but her son is so blah he keeps getting turned down.  So she calls her sister and arranges for "little Jimmy's" date to be his older cousin Mary Margaret who wears thick glasses, still has braces at age 20, and is 30lbs overweight.

You wanted to know why right?

The core reasons we can't have nice things like top football people running our football team are 1) McCaskey ownership, and 2) Ted Phillips as CEO.  So even while I state what needs to be done I have my doubts that it even can be done as long as that situation exists.  IMHO we believe that working for the Bears is a job anyone would be proud to have.  I don't buy that.

There were better and certainly more experienced GM prospects available when we hired Ryan Pace so why did we end up with him and not Chris Ballard or others?  There were far better choices for HC than John Fox too but we got Fox.  Why?  To mentor Pace.  LMFAO.  How'd that go?  It didn't right.  In fact it got so bad Fox didn't even know Pace was drafting Trubisky.

I believe what we have is core incompetence so deeply ingrained through 38 year of McCaskey ownership that few top shelf NFL execs even want to consider working for them and also under a dip**** like Ted Phillips.  If you want top talent running the Bears at the very least Teddy Bears has to go and yet the McCaskeys won't do it because they're too nice so we all lose out.

Wanna know why I'm not much interested in who a new HC will be or who to draft?

Because I've been watching this same old crap for over 30 years and nothing changes.  Once in a decade we somehow manage to pull off a string of wins and make a playoff run then fade back into mediocrity when we can't sustain it while other teams do it year in and year out.  It's tough to even get excited about Fields without thinking they'll somehow phuc him up too.

When it gets to the point where I spend far more time bitching about what this team has become then having hope for what they may become maybe it is time for a complete divorce.

34 minutes ago, soulman said:

I wouldn't say it's any tangent...it's looking at all the viable candidates...I ruled out McDaniels early but like I said the more you look into him and some of the decision he has made in the past you start to at least understand them if not agree with them...

Daboll & Moore are still my top targets by quite a distance but that doesn't mean we need to shut off to all others...

As someone who interview's candidates for high level jobs on a somewhat regular basis I can tell you that if I give someone the job and it doesn't work out I don't rule all out the other candidates who interviewed at the same time...they are the first people I go back to after assessing what went wrong because those guys are usually still the most qualified for the job.

16 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

They've been trying the same old damn thing for years of hiring a unknown GM without success. No one knew of either Emery or Pace before they got interviews with the Bears. They both came out of nowhere.

And I've explained why even using a "little Jimmy" story to illustrate my point.

We need to stop believing that somehow being the GM or HC of the Chicago Bears is in any way the dream of a lifetime for some top NFL exec or short list coordinator everyone else wants to hire too.  This last decade has destroyed that mystique for good.

Emery and Pace were two guys who'd actually accept the job when others said no way. 

That's it.

Edited by soulman

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Daboll & Moore are still my top targets by quite a distance but that doesn't mean we need to shut off to all others...

Yes we do.  We do need to ignore those who don't stand a Chinaman's Chance of being hired here.  I'd love to date Jennifer Anniston but she's not gonna accept my invitation so why spend time and effort on it.  The best I could expect is her as an "imaginary lover".  Pass the lotion.

Put away your shotgun and pickup a rifle.....with a really good scope.

Choose the single best guy you can find to run this team and give him full control along with a paycheck that would make King Midas envious and turn it all over to him.  Give him full authority over all football matters.  Right now that guy is Ryan Pace.  Are you satisfied with him?

If not then he probably needs to go as well but in order to do that first you need to hire his replacement then let him decide what to do with Ryan Pace.  Is he worth keeping as a GM under the control of the guy you place above him?  Will he even agree to stay?  Start thinking top down.

If they aren't gonna do that then all that will happen is more of the same kind of chaos we saw on Sunday.  Well run teams don't work like that.  They won't allow it.  Fox and Nagy both should have been fired a year before they were (will be).  The pattern with Nagy has been clear since year two.

Face it.  GMcC and Teddy Bears can't hire top shelf NFL talent so we have Pace.  Pace hired Nagy who grows ever more incompetent with each passing game.  So we should leave this management team in place to hire another HC?  I'm a recovered alcoholic and I do know what the definition of insanity is.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

Yes we do.  We do need to ignore those who don't stand a Chinaman's Chance of being hired here.  I'd love to date Jennifer Anniston but she's not gonna accept my invitation so why spend time and effort on it.  The best I could expect is her as an "imaginary lover".  Pass the lotion.

Put away your shotgun and pickup a rifle.....with a really good scope.

Choose the single best guy you can find to run this team and give him full control along with a paycheck that would make King Midas envious and turn it all over to him.  Give him full authority over all football matters.  Right now that guy is Ryan Pace.  Are you satisfied with him?

If not then he probably needs to go as well but in order to do that first you need to hire his replacement then let him decide what to do with Ryan Pace.  Is he worth keeping as a GM under the control of the guy you place above him?  Will he even agree to stay?  Start thinking top down.

If they aren't gonna do that then all that will happen is more of the same kind of chaos we saw on Sunday.  Well run teams don't work like that.  They won't allow it.  Fox and Nagy both should have been fired a year before they were (will be).  The pattern with Nagy has been clear since year two.

Face it.  GMcC and Teddy Bears can't hire top shelf NFL talent so we have Pace.  Pace hired Nagy who grows ever more incompetent with each passing game.  So we should leave this management team in place to hire another HC?  I'm a recovered alcoholic and I do know what the definition of insanity is.

32 of those jobs in the world...we offer the right package and we can hire just about anyone...including McDaniels.

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

32 of those jobs in the world...we offer the right package and we can hire just about anyone...including McDaniels.

Yup, and if it helps you just keep whistling that merry tune Mike.  But you're over looking the fact that we're most unlikely to be able to offer the right package that would attract anyone.   Ours seems to include Ted Phillips and McCaskey ownership.

This reminds me on an old joke.

Three women were having lunch one day when one woman noticed the huge diamond ring one of her friends was wearing an commented on it.

Her friend said "thank you dearie".  It's the famous Klopmann Diamond but it comes with it's very own curse you know".

"Really", said her friend.  "What the curse"?

"Mr Klopmann", responded the woman.

The Bears also have their very own curse.  Teddy Bears and GMcC.

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Yup, and if it helps you just keep whistling that merry tune Mike.  But you're over looking the fact that we're most unlikely to be able to offer the right package that would attract anyone.   Ours seems to include Ted Phillips and McCaskey ownership.

This reminds me on an old joke.

Three women were having lunch one day when one woman noticed the huge diamond ring one of her friends was wearing an commented on it.

Her friend said "thank you dearie".  It's the famous Klopmann Diamond but it comes with it's very own curse you know".

"Really", said her friend.  "What the curse"?

"Mr Klopmann", responded the woman.

The Bears also have their very own curse.  Teddy Bears and GMcC.

Yes this is absolutely true but we can't keep harping on it. It is what it is unfortunately.

That's why these numbnuts probably need to just hire the best big name candidate there is that's willing to accept the job.

That's likely the only way they're ever going to get this right as opposed to hiring these no name guys that aren't on anyone's radar

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Yes this is absolutely true but we can't keep harping on it. It is what it is unfortunately.

That's why these numbnuts probably need to just hire the best big name candidate there is that's willing to accept the job.

That's likely the only way they're ever going to get this right as opposed to hiring these no name guys that aren't on anyone's radar

Make Peyton Manning President of Football Ops and let his reputation be what helps attract people. 

Sounds like a joke to some I'm sure but I'd love a cerebral legend like him or Brees be involved. 

• Like 1