Our New Head Coach & GM

I listen to Daboll's weekly presser and every time I listen to him I think he is more and more the perfect fit here...putting Xs & Os aside is is just an intelligent, tough players coach who really seems to just get what is important...he doesn't really care about stats other than points that lead to wins...he wants smart competitive players who also value winning above their own numbers...he just fits the mould of what a head coach should be...

Getting back to the Xs & Os it is hilarious to hear how many questions Daboll gets about Buffalo's redzone "struggles" yeah must be terrible to have the 2nd highest scoring offence in football who have taken more redzone snaps than any other team...#firstworldproblems 😂

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Really impressed with what Kellen Moore did tonight with a backup QB against a really good Vikings defence...put the stats aside they play some excellent situational football and Moore's play calling is a huge part of that.

Just to add to this when you do look into the stats it's pretty phenomenal...419 total yards...50% on 3rd down with a QB starting his first game in primetime against a really good D...that's now both Belichick & Zimmer easily put to the sword by this young guys...yes again he has a ton of talent at the other offensive skill position and especially on that OL but basically every bit of that talent has been developed inhouse which is another massive plus point.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Just to add to this when you do look into the stats it's pretty phenomenal...419 total yards...50% on 3rd down with a QB starting his first game in primetime against a really good D...that's now both Belichick & Zimmer easily put to the sword by this young guys...yes again he has a ton of talent at the other offensive skill position and especially on that OL but basically every bit of that talent has been developed inhouse which is another massive plus point.

I also think it's telling that Moore is doing better with that talent than Garrett did.

This is his offense. He's designing and calling the plays. This isn't some young guy riding the coattails of a great HC.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I also think it's telling that Moore is doing better with that talent than Garrett did.

This is his offense. He's designing and calling the plays. This isn't some young guy riding the coattails of a great HC.

Very true...I am going to do a more in depth piece on Moore but one thing that is very telling so far is as much as he comes across as quiet and mild mannered he apparently has full control of the offensive room...those guys buy into him fully. 

• Like 1

Kellen Moore – Dallas Cowboys Offensive Coordinator

beffb053-6479-4c95-8a3f-34747fa9f464-USP

2019 Cowboys Offence Rankings

1st Overall in Total YPG - 431.5 YPG

6th Overall in PPG - 27.1 PPG

3rd in 3rd Down Conversion - 47.1%

2nd Overall in Passing YPG - 296.9 YPG

10th Overall in Passing Attempts - 597 attempts

3rd Overall in YPPA – 8.21 YPP

5th Overall in Rushing YPG - 134.6 YPG

8th Overall in Rushing Attempts - 449 attempts

5th Overall in YPRA - 4.5 YPG

2nd Best in Sacks Allowed – 23

2020 Cowboys Offence Rankings

14th Overall in Total YPG - 371.8 YPG

17th Overall in PPG - 24.7 PPG

19th in 3rd Down Conversion - 40.5%

8th Overall in Passing YPG - 260.1 YPG

2nd Overall in Passing Attempts - 639 attempts

22nd Overall in YPPA – 7.06 YPP

17th Overall in Rushing YPG - 111.8 YPG

15th Overall in Rushing Attempts - 430 attempts

22nd Overall in YPRA - 4.16 YPR

7th Worst in Sacks Allowed – 44

Coaching History

As a coach:

Strengths

Playcalling…Is there a better play caller in the NFL right now than Kellen Moore? I am not so sure there is…considering his lack of experience as a coach his feel for the game is truly exceptional…at times we get hung up on the design of a scheme we forget that most of the time it is about calling the right play at the right time to take advantage of a defence…for example 90% of NFL teams run a running back screen…but maybe only about 10% seem to be able to break 8-10 for big plays each and every season…concepts are the same for every team…but the play callers understand when to call it and how to attack the defence with them…Moore seems to understand exactly when to use this type of play…when to use misdirection…counters…play actions…deep shots and much more…his ability to attack defences in multiple ways could go back all the way to high school for Moore who was coached by his father who was a highly successful coach in his own right but in Kellen’s last two years of high school his dad allowed him to call his own plays…that continued into college where Moore had complete control over a Boise State offence that often didn’t have the physical talents to win but found a way through a combination of creativity and finding themselves in the right plays at the right time…again a lot of credit for this was given to Moore who’s ability to feel what a defence was looking to take away allowed him to attack them in a different way…

Moore’s ability hasn’t gone unnoticed by the elite of the elite either…Bill Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time and clearly one of the best defensive minds to ever be around football and this is what he has said about Moore…

On Kellen Moore's offense:

BB: They're balanced. They're good at everything. I think Moore is one of the better offensive coordinators that we've faced. He does a good job. It's not just the players. They have a good scheme. They're well balanced. They do a lot of things that complement other things that they do. They put a lot of stress on the defense.

On the balance of the Cowboys' offense:

BB: It's just the balance of what you have to defend. It's not just runs and passes. It's passes that complement other passes. It's runs that complement other runs. Runs that complement passes. It's everything. It's not just one thing.

Belichick normally just mumbles and doesn’t give anything away…when was the last time you heard him speak about an opposing offensive coordinator like this? I don’t remember him talking about a guy like this so he clearly has some respect for what Moore has built…as he should have considering the Cowboys went on to put up 35 points and the most yards every against a Belichick defence with 567 yards…when Belichick talks about complement plays he is absolutely right…some plays just look like basic plays but it is done for a reason…it is done to set up a play maybe on the next series…maybe in the 2nd half…maybe in 3 games time…Moore is playing Chess when most are playing Checkers.

Talent Development…I could write a full piece on the impact that Moore has had on Prescott alone…taking a 4th round QB who was being hurt by comparisons to Tim Tebow and questions about his ability to throw in the NFL to a $160 million dollar Franchise QB…Moore went from being a 3rd string QB behind Prescott in his early career to being the guy who refined his throwing technique and footwork to allow him to become one of the best downfield passers in all of football…for anyone who has once been part of a team and then stepped up to manage that team you will understand how difficult a transition that can be…you can’t just forget the relationship you had a team mates but at the same time must find a way to implement your ideas and show you are the boss when all is said and done…Moore has clearly done that with Dak saying the following back in 2019…

“[Moore] can be crazy creative. From the time he was a player to his time now, he sits over there, we’re watching plays and he’ll draw a play up and say, ‘Hey, this is a compliment off that.’ I mean that was the main reason I pushed for him to be the quarterback coach in the first place because I knew the intelligence he has in the game, how smart he is, how creative he can be. He’s a phenom when it comes to the game.”

As much as developing Moore as a QB coach then OC is impressive as well as talent like Zeke, Lamb, Cooper, Smith, Martin, Collins all those guys were pretty much so can’t miss prospects…but what about the players Dallas has drafted later and made into quality players…no one should get carried away with what Cooper Rush has done in one game but at the same time he looked well coached and developed against Minnesota and was undrafted…Tony Pollard might be the best #2 back in football and was a 4th round pick…Michael Gallup is their #3 WR who put up over a 1,000 yards in 2019 & then over 800 yards in 2020 was a 3rd round pick…Cedrick Wilson was a 6th round pick and Noah Brown a 7th round pick and I have no doubt both would start here…Dalton Schultz who has developed into a really good target over the middle of the field was a 4th round pick…Blake Jarwin who again is a backup but would probably start here was undrafted…Tyler Biadasz who is a quality starting centre was a 4th round pick…Terrence Steele who has for now beaten out Collins for the starting RT job was also undrafted…of the 24 current offensive players on the Cowboys roster 19 were drafted/signed as free agents by the Cowboys so 79%…to put that into perspective we have 25 offensive players on our current roster…13 of which were originally drafted/signed here so 52%…now of course good drafting plays a big part but to be achieving nearly an 80% hit rate on guys you give to your coaching staff is unheard of…coaching has to be the man reason behind that…developing guys and using their strengths while hiding their weaknesses and putting them in positions to help them win is exactly what a coach should be doing.

Natural Born Winner…All Moore has even done in football is win, in Highschool he led teams to back to back to back 12-1 seasons…he won state player of the year…was named all-league in his soph, junior & senior seasons…throw for 173 TDs to just 34 INTs…95 of his TDs going to his brother…he then went to Boise State…redshirted for a season then went 50-3 as a starter including a perfect 14-0 season in 2009…Moore throw for over 14,500 yards, 142 TDs & only 28 INTs…Moore never had the physical tools to play in the NFL but never stopped putting what is clearly an excellent football mind to use in helping team mates to the point where as above Dak pushed for him to become QB coach…one year of excelling at that and it was on to being retained by a HC who didn’t know him in Mike McCarthy because he could we the impact he was having on that offence and made him OC…what did he do from there? You guessed it, had the #1 ranked offence in the NFL…how many first time OCs have the best offence in the NFL their first year? Year two comes and that Cowboys offence is back on track to be one of the best again averaging 488 yards per game and 32.6PPG up until Dak went down…take away your two elite starting tackles in Tyron Smith & La’el Collins and it was obvious they would fall off…but only down to being league average…to be fair we would kill to be league average right now…get healthy in in 2021 they are back to blowing teams away and having the #1 offence in the league…this kid just excels and wins at everything he has done in football and with that kind of record why would he not continue that as a Head Coach?

Leadership…the key to being a successful head coach and something we maybe overlook at times when we see these schemes and the stats that they put up…Moore seems like a pretty soft-spoken mild-mannered guy who at times can seem even awkward…but let’s remember this is a guy who took a small college and killed some giants…he is a guy who put a full team on his back and dragged them to success…people say that as a player his demeanour never really changed…especially in a negative way…very rarely would he ever chew out teammates or get angry even with his own play…it’s just not who he is as Moore said when taking on the OC role in Dallas…

"At the end of the day, I think all of us, you got to be yourself and all that stuff. It's a communication room. We want to get in there, and we want to go through installs and just communicate together, talk together."

Moore has been himself and not tried to be more assertive or domineering…there is more than one way to skin a cat as a leader…making sure you are putting smart players into positions to win is just the first part of that…encouraging them…development them…empowering them are all significantly more important than shouting and being a Ra Ra guy…Moore will need to continue to develop that leadership style while staying his own man over the coming years but all indications show he has the confidence and intelligence to do that.

Weaknesses

Experience…2018 is when Moore got his first taste of coaching…now as much as it is highly impressive that he went from being a QB to being a QB coach at such a young age and at such a high profile team before making an even bigger leap to OC just one year later there is still a clear lack of experience when it comes to Moore as a head coaching candidate…there is far more that goes into it than simply calling offensive plays…Moore would need to have the passion and work ethic to have a hand in every phase of the franchise from offence, defence & special teams to significantly more media availability and everything in between…it is a lot for a young guy without much experience.

Coaching Connections…as I said Moore has only been a coach since 2018 and with only one franchise…you could go back to his playing career but again even that was short and with only the Lions & Cowboys…he simply hasn’t had enough time to make a lot of connections to fill out a coaching staff off his own back and would need some experienced well connected coordinators to help him out.

Potential Coaching Staff

As I said before this is where things get really tricky…firstly let’s talk about the guys with connections who I would rule out due to their existing links…

GM…Will McClay…the more research I did into McClay the more I saw that he could have been a GM years ago had he accepted an interview…plenty have approached him but he rejects them because he is happy in Dallas…McClay is already the GM there in all but name doing the day-to-day duties and being the top advisor to Jerry Jones…I have no doubt he is being paid like a GM as well so I doubt he leaves that role.

OC…Joe Philbin…the Cowboys OL coach would be a great additional to Moore’s staff given his years of coaching experience and history as a head coach in the league but Philbin is a Mike McCarthy guy since the GB days and I doubt he leaves McCarthy’s side to joint up with Moore.

And one guy he knows who I would rule out given his history…

GM…Brian Xanders…currently a senior exec for the Rams Xanders was the GM who oversaw the craziness of Josh McDaniels in Denver when he was head coach…known for being arrogant and trying to outsmart everyone else he is not the guy we want to help a young headcoach.

So who does Moore know?...

GM…Moore really has only been around the Dallas front office and with McClay a real long shot that leaves you with the likes of Lionel Vital & Alex Loomis (Mickey’s son)…they both aren’t really up to the standard we are looking for…it would be interesting to know who Moore shares an agent with or if he has reached out to people around the league…I doubt he has enough power to pick his own guy but as a Package deal it could make sense for him to do so.

OC…Scott Linehan…maybe not the sexiest choice but there is no doubt in his personal career no offensive mind had more of an influence on Moore…working with Moore in both Detroit & Dallas there are no doubts elements of his offence in what Moore is doing which should mean a pretty solid understanding of the concepts being taught…highly experienced we would just need to keep him away from play calling which would be easy with Moore are.

OC…Frank Pollack…I am always a fan of taking a head coach who works with QBs and pairing him with an OL coach at OC…Pollack is the running game coordinator for Cincinnati just now but knows Moore from their time in Dallas…Pollack could create a big physical OL to let Moore do his work.

OC…Adam Henry…Henry is currently the Cowboys WR coach and given the depth of talent they have at that position he is clearly skilled in developing these guys….not only could he have a position effect on the likes of Mooney but he knows the scheme inside and out so could help implement it throughout the offence…I also think he could be a great recruitment tool alongside Moore to get some of that offensive talent especially in the receiver room here.

DC…George Edwards…Edwards brings a lot of experience as a DC and did a great job for a number of years in Minnesota…he is currently a senior assistant on the Cowboys D and would more than likely move us back to a 4-3 D if he came here.

DC…Kris Richard…Richard is a guy Moore has had no direct contact with but Dan Quinn could hook him up with his former DB coach…Richard needs talent for his D to work and currently we still have that…Richard would massively help with our DBs and has done solid work in New Orleans.

DC…Teryl Austin…Austin is a guy I have liked for a long time and he has been part of some excellent defences…currently the DB coach in Pittsburgh he has also worked in Baltimore Austin would bring a more attacking style of defence and has worked with both 3-4 & 4-3 fronts…plenty of coaching experience and would be able to take full responsibility for that side of the ball and allow Moore to focus more on the offence.

AHC/STC…Rich Bisaccia…Moore is going to need an experienced assistant head coach with him to help him make decisions and learn…Bisaccia is highly experienced and currently running the show in Oakland…he will more than likely be out after the season and he would be an excellent fit here…both were on the Cowboys together…this one would be massive for me because Greg Olson is also in LV and he was the OC under Linehan in St. Louis…if Oakland moves on from both I would be really happy with them coming here.

Offensive Scheme & Philosophies

Kellen Moore is another coordinator who’s scheme is so versatile that it can’t be put in a box…when I first started watching the Cowboys I questions if it was all just down to having more talent than most teams on offence…as much as that helps it is so much more complex than that…because it’s so simple…I know it’s a contradiction but all the best offences looks simple at times…the Saints are the team I always come back to as the gold standard of offensive schemes…they have rolled in players off the street year after year when starters have went down and they were still able to move the ball and put up points…they use the same concepts every year and still no one seems to be able to work out how to stop their screen game…outside runs…play action shots over the middle of the field…out routes & slants…none of this is new or unique but what separates them is how they set up the play and how Payton calls it…

Moore’s offence is very similar in that it may all look very similar and have stable plays in it like the outside run & all verticals…Moore calls these plays 5 or 6 times a game…but he then calls 20 plays that look exactly like these plays that then throws in a counter run or a comeback on one side with a slant ran underneath to take the defender away…it looks so similar that the defence become locked in on one thing and Moore has the uncanny ability to call the change up play at exactly the right time…Moore also loves to us motion to give his QB tells of the coverage as well as to get his skill players into advantageous positions and take defenders out there comfort zone…for example Moore will line his RB up at WR more than most teams in the NFL…he then uses motion to give Dak a better idea of the coverage…if Dak then has the ability to change the play to a run if he gets the box he is looking for…if not he knows the coverage that is being played behind it and has the OL to allow him time to throw it deep if he sees man coverage…it’s really simple on screen…but the details that go into it is what makes it work…the fact the motion looks the same…the play action looks like it did on three other plays that were runs…the receivers have the exact same release as they did on a play that was a vertical before and all of a sudden the defence have had to respect the run because they knew that OL can open a huge hold off tackle for one of their RBs to run through…the CBs think it’s a vertical route from the release back up and then Dak’s throws a throw a TE screen to the other side of the action that they haven’t put on tape for the last 3 or 4 games which goes for 16 fairly easy yards…simple but effective…Moore also excels at using the talent he has at his disposal…Michael Gallup has been hurt this year so Dallas has used less 11 personnel…they switched to 12 using more TE sets…Black Jarwin then got banged up and now they are using a wishbone formation because they have seven very talented offensive linemen who they put on the field at the same time…they did it 4 times in the game against the Vikings…so surely with Zeke in the backfield and seven starting calibre OL on the field with a backup QB your running right? Nope…two runs…two passes…because Moore knew the impact it would have on the defensive box and used it as an opportunity to protect Rush and throw 1on1 to a WR…again it’s a formation on 4 plays that looks exactly the same as before but then doing something different with it…that alone stresses a defence before the play even starts…if we can then find more talent on the outside you then have the potential to be really productive.

What would we Need to Change to Help Moore’s Offence Succeed?

The offensive line would need to change above all else…Dallas’ OL is such a talented, versatile, smart, deep and physically dominating group that they make everything that the rest of that offence does so much easier…when it is 3rd & 4 for most teams running the ball is off the table…not for Dallas…you give them nickel and they can easily change where the line of scrum is by 3 yards and let their backs fall forward for the other two…and of course they are so good in pass pro that it opens up deeper throws even when the defence brings 5 on the blitz…our OL is no where near that standard and can barely keep Fields upright…we would need to change the entire make up of our OL and find bigger more talented players inside especially to pair with Jenkins & Borom who can hopefully take the next step…I would want to create a Monsters of the Midway OL…huge physical OL…Moore loves to run the ball and that wouldn’t change here given the talent we have at running back with Monty & Herbert which means teams start to load the box…when that happens Dallas have receivers who can take advantage of 1on1 coverage on the outside…we would need to find a classic WCO receiver who can run the route tree and find space against man coverage…Moore also uses the TE as a safety value a lot so we would need Kmet to step up or find another TE who could take advantage of those match ups…Moore’s offence has proven to be so versatile and focused on talent that I would expect him to get a QB & 5 Olinemen then his next 5 best players on the field as much as possible.

Conclusion

Kellen Moore is a risky pick given his inexperience as a coach…but it is difficult to look past the production of his offence over the last three seasons as well as the versatility and ability he has shown to develop players…his winning mentality from being a player to now being a coach also can’t be overlooked as he does what it takes to win…Moore might be soft spoken but he has the offensive room in the palm of his hand and they all buy into him and that is the most important thing for any head coach…as I said he is a risk but honestly all the signs point to him being the next Sean McVay…in my opinion he has a higher ceiling because of that history as a player and the versatility his offence has shown…you pair him with an experience DC and he really could be the key building block for this franchise for the next 30 years.

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

BB: It's just the balance of what you have to defend. It's not just runs and passes. It's passes that complement other passes. It's runs that complement other runs. Runs that complement passes. It's everything. It's not just one thing.

Well, that's pretty much what Nagy does, right!

Why would we need a coaching change? 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Kellen Moore – Dallas Cowboys Offensive Coordinator

beffb053-6479-4c95-8a3f-34747fa9f464-USP

2019 Cowboys Offence Rankings

1st Overall in Total YPG - 431.5 YPG

6th Overall in PPG - 27.1 PPG

3rd in 3rd Down Conversion - 47.1%

2nd Overall in Passing YPG - 296.9 YPG

10th Overall in Passing Attempts - 597 attempts

3rd Overall in YPPA – 8.21 YPP

5th Overall in Rushing YPG - 134.6 YPG

8th Overall in Rushing Attempts - 449 attempts

5th Overall in YPRA - 4.5 YPG

2nd Best in Sacks Allowed – 23

2020 Cowboys Offence Rankings

14th Overall in Total YPG - 371.8 YPG

17th Overall in PPG - 24.7 PPG

19th in 3rd Down Conversion - 40.5%

8th Overall in Passing YPG - 260.1 YPG

2nd Overall in Passing Attempts - 639 attempts

22nd Overall in YPPA – 7.06 YPP

17th Overall in Rushing YPG - 111.8 YPG

15th Overall in Rushing Attempts - 430 attempts

22nd Overall in YPRA - 4.16 YPR

7th Worst in Sacks Allowed – 44

Coaching History

As a coach:

Strengths

Playcalling…Is there a better play caller in the NFL right now than Kellen Moore? I am not so sure there is…considering his lack of experience as a coach his feel for the game is truly exceptional…at times we get hung up on the design of a scheme we forget that most of the time it is about calling the right play at the right time to take advantage of a defence…for example 90% of NFL teams run a running back screen…but maybe only about 10% seem to be able to break 8-10 for big plays each and every season…concepts are the same for every team…but the play callers understand when to call it and how to attack the defence with them…Moore seems to understand exactly when to use this type of play…when to use misdirection…counters…play actions…deep shots and much more…his ability to attack defences in multiple ways could go back all the way to high school for Moore who was coached by his father who was a highly successful coach in his own right but in Kellen’s last two years of high school his dad allowed him to call his own plays…that continued into college where Moore had complete control over a Boise State offence that often didn’t have the physical talents to win but found a way through a combination of creativity and finding themselves in the right plays at the right time…again a lot of credit for this was given to Moore who’s ability to feel what a defence was looking to take away allowed him to attack them in a different way…

Moore’s ability hasn’t gone unnoticed by the elite of the elite either…Bill Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time and clearly one of the best defensive minds to ever be around football and this is what he has said about Moore…

On Kellen Moore's offense:

BB: They're balanced. They're good at everything. I think Moore is one of the better offensive coordinators that we've faced. He does a good job. It's not just the players. They have a good scheme. They're well balanced. They do a lot of things that complement other things that they do. They put a lot of stress on the defense.

On the balance of the Cowboys' offense:

Belichick normally just mumbles and doesn’t give anything away…when was the last time you heard him speak about an opposing offensive coordinator like this? I don’t remember him talking about a guy like this so he clearly has some respect for what Moore has built…as he should have considering the Cowboys went on to put up 35 points and the most yards every against a Belichick defence with 567 yards…when Belichick talks about complement plays he is absolutely right…some plays just look like basic plays but it is done for a reason…it is done to set up a play maybe on the next series…maybe in the 2nd half…maybe in 3 games time…Moore is playing Chess when most are playing Checkers.

Talent Development…I could write a full piece on the impact that Moore has had on Prescott alone…taking a 4th round QB who was being hurt by comparisons to Tim Tebow and questions about his ability to throw in the NFL to a $160 million dollar Franchise QB…Moore went from being a 3rd string QB behind Prescott in his early career to being the guy who refined his throwing technique and footwork to allow him to become one of the best downfield passers in all of football…for anyone who has once been part of a team and then stepped up to manage that team you will understand how difficult a transition that can be…you can’t just forget the relationship you had a team mates but at the same time must find a way to implement your ideas and show you are the boss when all is said and done…Moore has clearly done that with Dak saying the following back in 2019…

“[Moore] can be crazy creative. From the time he was a player to his time now, he sits over there, we’re watching plays and he’ll draw a play up and say, ‘Hey, this is a compliment off that.’ I mean that was the main reason I pushed for him to be the quarterback coach in the first place because I knew the intelligence he has in the game, how smart he is, how creative he can be. He’s a phenom when it comes to the game.”

As much as developing Moore as a QB coach then OC is impressive as well as talent like Zeke, Lamb, Cooper, Smith, Martin, Collins all those guys were pretty much so can’t miss prospects…but what about the players Dallas has drafted later and made into quality players…no one should get carried away with what Cooper Rush has done in one game but at the same time he looked well coached and developed against Minnesota and was undrafted…Tony Pollard might be the best #2 back in football and was a 4th round pick…Michael Gallup is their #3 WR who put up over a 1,000 yards in 2019 & then over 800 yards in 2020 was a 3rd round pick…Cedrick Wilson was a 6th round pick and Noah Brown a 7th round pick and I have no doubt both would start here…Dalton Schultz who has developed into a really good target over the middle of the field was a 4th round pick…Blake Jarwin who again is a backup but would probably start here was undrafted…Tyler Biadasz who is a quality starting centre was a 4th round pick…Terrence Steele who has for now beaten out Collins for the starting RT job was also undrafted…of the 24 current offensive players on the Cowboys roster 19 were drafted/signed as free agents by the Cowboys so 79%…to put that into perspective we have 25 offensive players on our current roster…13 of which were originally drafted/signed here so 52%…now of course good drafting plays a big part but to be achieving nearly an 80% hit rate on guys you give to your coaching staff is unheard of…coaching has to be the man reason behind that…developing guys and using their strengths while hiding their weaknesses and putting them in positions to help them win is exactly what a coach should be doing.

Natural Born Winner…All Moore has even done in football is win, in Highschool he led teams to back to back to back 12-1 seasons…he won state player of the year…was named all-league in his soph, junior & senior seasons…throw for 173 TDs to just 34 INTs…95 of his TDs going to his brother…he then went to Boise State…redshirted for a season then went 50-3 as a starter including a perfect 14-0 season in 2009…Moore throw for over 14,500 yards, 142 TDs & only 28 INTs…Moore never had the physical tools to play in the NFL but never stopped putting what is clearly an excellent football mind to use in helping team mates to the point where as above Dak pushed for him to become QB coach…one year of excelling at that and it was on to being retained by a HC who didn’t know him in Mike McCarthy because he could we the impact he was having on that offence and made him OC…what did he do from there? You guessed it, had the #1 ranked offence in the NFL…how many first time OCs have the best offence in the NFL their first year? Year two comes and that Cowboys offence is back on track to be one of the best again averaging 488 yards per game and 32.6PPG up until Dak went down…take away your two elite starting tackles in Tyron Smith & La’el Collins and it was obvious they would fall off…but only down to being league average…to be fair we would kill to be league average right now…get healthy in in 2021 they are back to blowing teams away and having the #1 offence in the league…this kid just excels and wins at everything he has done in football and with that kind of record why would he not continue that as a Head Coach?

Leadership…the key to being a successful head coach and something we maybe overlook at times when we see these schemes and the stats that they put up…Moore seems like a pretty soft-spoken mild-mannered guy who at times can seem even awkward…but let’s remember this is a guy who took a small college and killed some giants…he is a guy who put a full team on his back and dragged them to success…people say that as a player his demeanour never really changed…especially in a negative way…very rarely would he ever chew out teammates or get angry even with his own play…it’s just not who he is as Moore said when taking on the OC role in Dallas…

"At the end of the day, I think all of us, you got to be yourself and all that stuff. It's a communication room. We want to get in there, and we want to go through installs and just communicate together, talk together."

Moore has been himself and not tried to be more assertive or domineering…there is more than one way to skin a cat as a leader…making sure you are putting smart players into positions to win is just the first part of that…encouraging them…development them…empowering them are all significantly more important than shouting and being a Ra Ra guy…Moore will need to continue to develop that leadership style while staying his own man over the coming years but all indications show he has the confidence and intelligence to do that.

Weaknesses

Experience…2018 is when Moore got his first taste of coaching…now as much as it is highly impressive that he went from being a QB to being a QB coach at such a young age and at such a high profile team before making an even bigger leap to OC just one year later there is still a clear lack of experience when it comes to Moore as a head coaching candidate…there is far more that goes into it than simply calling offensive plays…Moore would need to have the passion and work ethic to have a hand in every phase of the franchise from offence, defence & special teams to significantly more media availability and everything in between…it is a lot for a young guy without much experience.

Coaching Connections…as I said Moore has only been a coach since 2018 and with only one franchise…you could go back to his playing career but again even that was short and with only the Lions & Cowboys…he simply hasn’t had enough time to make a lot of connections to fill out a coaching staff off his own back and would need some experienced well connected coordinators to help him out.

Potential Coaching Staff

As I said before this is where things get really tricky…firstly let’s talk about the guys with connections who I would rule out due to their existing links…

GM…Will McClay…the more research I did into McClay the more I saw that he could have been a GM years ago had he accepted an interview…plenty have approached him but he rejects them because he is happy in Dallas…McClay is already the GM there in all but name doing the day-to-day duties and being the top advisor to Jerry Jones…I have no doubt he is being paid like a GM as well so I doubt he leaves that role.

OC…Joe Philbin…the Cowboys OL coach would be a great additional to Moore’s staff given his years of coaching experience and history as a head coach in the league but Philbin is a Mike McCarthy guy since the GB days and I doubt he leaves McCarthy’s side to joint up with Moore.

And one guy he knows who I would rule out given his history…

GM…Brian Xanders…currently a senior exec for the Rams Xanders was the GM who oversaw the craziness of Josh McDaniels in Denver when he was head coach…known for being arrogant and trying to outsmart everyone else he is not the guy we want to help a young headcoach.

So who does Moore know?...

GM…Moore really has only been around the Dallas front office and with McClay a real long shot that leaves you with the likes of Lionel Vital & Alex Loomis (Mickey’s son)…they both aren’t really up to the standard we are looking for…it would be interesting to know who Moore shares an agent with or if he has reached out to people around the league…I doubt he has enough power to pick his own guy but as a Package deal it could make sense for him to do so.

OC…Scott Linehan…maybe not the sexiest choice but there is no doubt in his personal career no offensive mind had more of an influence on Moore…working with Moore in both Detroit & Dallas there are no doubts elements of his offence in what Moore is doing which should mean a pretty solid understanding of the concepts being taught…highly experienced we would just need to keep him away from play calling which would be easy with Moore are.

OC…Frank Pollack…I am always a fan of taking a head coach who works with QBs and pairing him with an OL coach at OC…Pollack is the running game coordinator for Cincinnati just now but knows Moore from their time in Dallas…Pollack could create a big physical OL to let Moore do his work.

OC…Adam Henry…Henry is currently the Cowboys WR coach and given the depth of talent they have at that position he is clearly skilled in developing these guys….not only could he have a position effect on the likes of Mooney but he knows the scheme inside and out so could help implement it throughout the offence…I also think he could be a great recruitment tool alongside Moore to get some of that offensive talent especially in the receiver room here.

DC…George Edwards…Edwards brings a lot of experience as a DC and did a great job for a number of years in Minnesota…he is currently a senior assistant on the Cowboys D and would more than likely move us back to a 4-3 D if he came here.

DC…Kris Richard…Richard is a guy Moore has had no direct contact with but Dan Quinn could hook him up with his former DB coach…Richard needs talent for his D to work and currently we still have that…Richard would massively help with our DBs and has done solid work in New Orleans.

DC…Teryl Austin…Austin is a guy I have liked for a long time and he has been part of some excellent defences…currently the DB coach in Pittsburgh he has also worked in Baltimore Austin would bring a more attacking style of defence and has worked with both 3-4 & 4-3 fronts…plenty of coaching experience and would be able to take full responsibility for that side of the ball and allow Moore to focus more on the offence.

AHC/STC…Rich Bisaccia…Moore is going to need an experienced assistant head coach with him to help him make decisions and learn…Bisaccia is highly experienced and currently running the show in Oakland…he will more than likely be out after the season and he would be an excellent fit here…both were on the Cowboys together…this one would be massive for me because Greg Olson is also in LV and he was the OC under Linehan in St. Louis…if Oakland moves on from both I would be really happy with them coming here.

Offensive Scheme & Philosophies

Kellen Moore is another coordinator who’s scheme is so versatile that it can’t be put in a box…when I first started watching the Cowboys I questions if it was all just down to having more talent than most teams on offence…as much as that helps it is so much more complex than that…because it’s so simple…I know it’s a contradiction but all the best offences looks simple at times…the Saints are the team I always come back to as the gold standard of offensive schemes…they have rolled in players off the street year after year when starters have went down and they were still able to move the ball and put up points…they use the same concepts every year and still no one seems to be able to work out how to stop their screen game…outside runs…play action shots over the middle of the field…out routes & slants…none of this is new or unique but what separates them is how they set up the play and how Payton calls it…

Moore’s offence is very similar in that it may all look very similar and have stable plays in it like the outside run & all verticals…Moore calls these plays 5 or 6 times a game…but he then calls 20 plays that look exactly like these plays that then throws in a counter run or a comeback on one side with a slant ran underneath to take the defender away…it looks so similar that the defence become locked in on one thing and Moore has the uncanny ability to call the change up play at exactly the right time…Moore also loves to us motion to give his QB tells of the coverage as well as to get his skill players into advantageous positions and take defenders out there comfort zone…for example Moore will line his RB up at WR more than most teams in the NFL…he then uses motion to give Dak a better idea of the coverage…if Dak then has the ability to change the play to a run if he gets the box he is looking for…if not he knows the coverage that is being played behind it and has the OL to allow him time to throw it deep if he sees man coverage…it’s really simple on screen…but the details that go into it is what makes it work…the fact the motion looks the same…the play action looks like it did on three other plays that were runs…the receivers have the exact same release as they did on a play that was a vertical before and all of a sudden the defence have had to respect the run because they knew that OL can open a huge hold off tackle for one of their RBs to run through…the CBs think it’s a vertical route from the release back up and then Dak’s throws a throw a TE screen to the other side of the action that they haven’t put on tape for the last 3 or 4 games which goes for 16 fairly easy yards…simple but effective…Moore also excels at using the talent he has at his disposal…Michael Gallup has been hurt this year so Dallas has used less 11 personnel…they switched to 12 using more TE sets…Black Jarwin then got banged up and now they are using a wishbone formation because they have seven very talented offensive linemen who they put on the field at the same time…they did it 4 times in the game against the Vikings…so surely with Zeke in the backfield and seven starting calibre OL on the field with a backup QB your running right? Nope…two runs…two passes…because Moore knew the impact it would have on the defensive box and used it as an opportunity to protect Rush and throw 1on1 to a WR…again it’s a formation on 4 plays that looks exactly the same as before but then doing something different with it…that alone stresses a defence before the play even starts…if we can then find more talent on the outside you then have the potential to be really productive.

What would we Need to Change to Help Moore’s Offence Succeed?

The offensive line would need to change above all else…Dallas’ OL is such a talented, versatile, smart, deep and physically dominating group that they make everything that the rest of that offence does so much easier…when it is 3rd & 4 for most teams running the ball is off the table…not for Dallas…you give them nickel and they can easily change where the line of scrum is by 3 yards and let their backs fall forward for the other two…and of course they are so good in pass pro that it opens up deeper throws even when the defence brings 5 on the blitz…our OL is no where near that standard and can barely keep Fields upright…we would need to change the entire make up of our OL and find bigger more talented players inside especially to pair with Jenkins & Borom who can hopefully take the next step…I would want to create a Monsters of the Midway OL…huge physical OL…Moore loves to run the ball and that wouldn’t change here given the talent we have at running back with Monty & Herbert which means teams start to load the box…when that happens Dallas have receivers who can take advantage of 1on1 coverage on the outside…we would need to find a classic WCO receiver who can run the route tree and find space against man coverage…Moore also uses the TE as a safety value a lot so we would need Kmet to step up or find another TE who could take advantage of those match ups…Moore’s offence has proven to be so versatile and focused on talent that I would expect him to get a QB & 5 Olinemen then his next 5 best players on the field as much as possible.

Conclusion

Kellen Moore is a risky pick given his inexperience as a coach…but it is difficult to look past the production of his offence over the last three seasons as well as the versatility and ability he has shown to develop players…his winning mentality from being a player to now being a coach also can’t be overlooked as he does what it takes to win…Moore might be soft spoken but he has the offensive room in the palm of his hand and they all buy into him and that is the most important thing for any head coach…as I said he is a risk but honestly all the signs point to him being the next Sean McVay…in my opinion he has a higher ceiling because of that history as a player and the versatility his offence has shown…you pair him with an experience DC and he really could be the key building block for this franchise for the next 30 years.

Is this your work? 

If so, my good God where can I send you money for the read. Tremendous! 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, G08 said:

Is this your work? 

If so, my good God where can I send you money for the read. Tremendous! 

Thanks man...yeah all my own...I have really got back into football in general this year rather than just being Bears focused so this kind of thing is good for seeing how a lot of different teams are using their talent...hopefully some of the ownership are seeing the same things and we pick a guy who really fits what we need with Fields.

• Like 2

It is so tough to decide who would be a better fit for us between Daboll & Moore...I would be thrilled with either for different reasons but gun to my head I would struggle to say who I prefer...Ben Allbright still seems to believe Daboll is the fit for us.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:31 AM, dll2000 said:

IMO Fangio made the cowards move trading for Bridgewater instead of drafting Fields.   At very least he should have went with the young QB another year.

He deserves his fate.  Same thing as trading for Dalton.  Dalton would have been better IMO.

He thought he was going to win SB Ravens style - awesome D and game manager QB.    I think those days are past.   Too many ways to get flagged these days.

But Vic Fangio isn't the Broncos GM so any decision that was made to pass on Fields came from above him.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It is so tough to decide who would be a better fit for us between Daboll & Moore...I would be thrilled with either for different reasons but gun to my head I would struggle to say who I prefer...Ben Allbright still seems to believe Daboll is the fit for us.

I think either would be fine options though we probably have a better shot at Daboll.

Rumor has it that the Cowboys are very keen on keeping Moore in Dallas at all costs just short of promoting him to HC.

I'd like to see us at least request an interview with Moore.

Great write up btw.

Edited by topwop1
  • Madmike90 changed the title to Our New Head Coach & GM