Our New Head Coach & GM

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not even sure we can say that with any conviction, can we? Belichick has influence on every aspect of that team. 

Since Belichick strong points are on defense I'm thinking most of the offensive strength is due to McD and his influences but then that's more of an assumption on my part than known fact.

30 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears should do everything in their power to bring Jim Harbaugh into the organization. He's by far the best, most proven HC option. His teams play physical, balanced offense. Everyone blocks. Everyone runs hard.

I really like Harbaugh and he is the only college guy I would trust with this team right now but I feel it would be tough to get him out of Michigan right now.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Amen to this. 5-10 years ago I would've sold my house and children for him but it's clear that he is yet another vet HC who has had trouble adapting to the times. This is what makes Belichick so special and unique.

Same. The team developed so quickly it was like a college program that had a ton of 5 star recruits. Props to him for trying to adjust with Waldron but still. Not what I thought he was. 

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

At 70 years old when Carroll is done in Seattle he won't and shouldn't get another job.

I could see him returning to USC where his name and prestige allows him to be a bit more hands free. National titles, a Super Bowl ring, etc. He probably could train his replacement and be some overpaid consultant or executive role. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I am down to four guys to replace Nagy...any of whom I would be thrilled with...if it isn't one of them then I would be massively disappointed...in no particular order...

Kellen Moore

Josh McDaniels

Jim Harbaugh

Brian Daboll

Im good with adding Greg Roman and Byron Leftwich to that list too, but would rather Jim do something like the GM or VP of football operations role with Roman under him. 

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears should do everything in their power to bring Jim Harbaugh into the organization. He's by far the best, most proven HC option. His teams play physical, balanced offense. Everyone blocks. Everyone runs hard.

I like him quite a bit more than I do Ryan Day as an option for us and that's not just because he  outcoached him today and won.

I just think he's a better fit for the NFL and he has the track record to prove it. Plus he also has the pedigree of being a former pro who played the QB position.

Ryan Day had a brief and unsuccessful stint in the NFL as a position coach. I get that he oversaw Fields' development at Ohio State but how many college head coaches have produced good NFL QB prospects in the past. Doesn't mean they're necessarily good fits for the NFL now does it?

Harbaugh would also be able to assemble a far better staff no doubt.

I don't know why people are so opposed to the idea. He's exactly the type of leader this team needs.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I like him quite a bit more than I do Ryan Day as an option for us and that's not just because he  outcoached him today and won.

I just think he's a better fit for the NFL and he has the track record to prove it. Plus he also has the pedigree of being a former pro who played the QB position.

Ryan Day had a brief and unsuccessful stint in the NFL as a position coach. I get that he oversaw Fields' development at Ohio State but how many college head coaches have produced good NFL QB prospects in the past. Doesn't mean they're necessarily good fits for the NFL now does it?

Harbaugh would also be able to assemble a far better staff no doubt.

I don't know why people are so opposed to the idea. He's exactly the type of leader this team needs.

NFL fans have short memories. Jim’s worst season was an 8-8 campaign when his team was riddled with injuries. He lost his job because of front office politics. He’s always been a good coach and he’s a perfect fit for the Bears in so many ways.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

NFL fans have short memories. Jim’s worst season was an 8-8 campaign when his team was riddled with injuries. He lost his job because of front office politics. He’s always been a good coach and he’s a perfect fit for the Bears in so many ways.

Im not opposed to him I just really think he would be - especially after having total control at Michigan - be able to oversee the entire operations better than about anyone else. Plus with his history with Roman and what Roman worked with Jackson and Kaep....

Just sounds too damn good to be true. 

Harbaugh eh?    A UM Wolverine HC coaching a OSU Buckeye QB......kinky. 

Here's the details of the extension he signed last Jan.  Prior to this at $8 mil per year he would have been unaffordable but he took a massive pay cut to a base of $4 mil in his 5 yr extension.  He can buy out of his deal in 2022 for $1.5 mil as well.

$4 mil is what Nagy is getting but would the Bears pay his buy out?

After plenty of speculation throughout the season, Jim Harbaugh has officially signed a contract extension with Michigan.

As expected, the new deal features some pretty significant pay cuts. Wolverines reporter Orion Sang posted a chart of Harbaugh’s base salary and possible bonuses on Twitter Friday evening.

Jim Harbaugh’s five-year, $21 million extension is far cry from his previous contract which saw the coach receive a little over $8 million per year. With an incrementally increasing base salary of over $4 million, Harbaugh will get just over half of his original yearly salary.

While his base is significantly down, Harbaugh has plenty of incentives to succeed over the next five years.

Obviously, the largest bonuses come with wins in the Big Ten championship and national championship games ($1 million apiece). Coach of the year awards, Big East titles and New Years Six bowl appearances yield smaller results.

With this many incentives, Michigan put a cap on Harbaugh’s earnings at about $7.5 per year. The Wolverines buyout for the coach starts at $4 million in year one and decreases $1 million per year.

After Jim Harbaugh’s first six years with the program, an incentive-based lower salary is clearly the right choice.

Harbaugh has a history of taking good teams just far enough until they eventually fall in the postseason. During his six-year coaching tenure, Harbaugh has an embarrassing 1-4 bowl-game record.

From now on, the Wolverines coach will have to earn his keep.

Edited by soulman
2 hours ago, soulman said:

Here's the details of the extension he signed last Jan.  Prior to this at $8 mil per year he would have been unaffordable but he took a massive pay cut to a base of $4 mil in his 5 yr extension.  He can buy out of his deal in 2022 for $1.5 mil as well.

$4 mil is what Nagy is getting but would the Bears pay his buy out?

I think they would. They want stability. Harbaugh has an NFL track record. Plus he's a former Bear.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Im good with adding Greg Roman and Byron Leftwich to that list too, but would rather Jim do something like the GM or VP of football operations role with Roman under him. 

Roman & Leftwich would be decent hires especially since I feel they could bring really solid staffs with them but they aren't the knock it out the park type of appointment we should be looking to make...only those 4 guys would be IMO...

No way Harbaugh is ready to give up coaching...way too much fire there...if we even got 10 years out of him and for him to develop a young guy to take over from him that would be ideal.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I think they would. They want stability. Harbaugh has an NFL track record. Plus he's a former Bear.

I'm not sure that would mean much any longer plus he was somewhat of a flop in Chicago before becoming Captain Comeback at Indy.  He was kind of an '80s Mitch Trubisky.

The other issue is the kind of added bonus money he can earn at UM if he continues to succeed.

By my estimated he's likely to earn and additional $500k so far in 2021 for having won the Big Ten East, he should win another $1 mil as Big Ten Champion, and another $500k for UM's CFP appearance.  After beating OSU they should be ranked #2 nationally and a shoe in for that.

That's $2 mil in bonuses added to his $4 mil base and those same bonuses are available every year of his 5 year extension.  College coaches who win aren't cheap hires.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm not sure that would mean much any longer plus he was somewhat of a flop in Chicago before becoming Captain Comeback at Indy.  He was kind of an '80s Mitch Trubisky.

The other issue is the kind of added bonus money he can earn at UM if he continues to succeed.

By my estimated he's likely to earn and additional $500k so far in 2021 for having won the Big Ten East, he should win another $1 mil as Big Ten Champion, and another $500k for UM's CFP appearance.  After beating OSU they should be ranked #2 nationally and a shoe in for that.

That's $2 mil in bonuses added to his $4 mil base and those same bonuses are available every year of his 5 year extension.  College coaches who win aren't cheap hires.

It's more of a secondary factor to me. Bears could sell hiring Harbaugh as going back to their roots. He's a former player. And his teams play with a physical style that Bears fans would love.

I think the most important factor, though, is that Harbaugh is already a proven winner at the NFL level. He's a completely different type of hire from the NFL coordinators like Daboll or Moore. Bears can certainly hire a cheaper option. But with Harbaugh you pay the price to know you've settled the HC spot for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Madmike90 changed the title to Our New Head Coach & GM