Our New Head Coach

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Truthfully...Daboll...and only really Daboll...loads of other guys out there especially on the offensive side of the ball which for me is a must have questions marks either around experience, leadership or how much of a hand they are having in the success.

I worry about guys like Brady and Moore as they are so young and new to the scene. Moore has worked under Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy... hardly the mentors one would like.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I worry about guys like Brady and Moore as they are so young and new to the scene. Moore has worked under Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy... hardly the mentors one would like.

Same question marks hit Waldron & Kubiak...any of those four could be awesome head coaches but they would also be massive risks...Daboll is the guy who gives you a ready made HC because of his experience & production...

If you bring in Daboll & Schoen/Morgan at GM I also think you can almost take a rest year from spending big...let these guys sign solid talents and have Daboll build the scheme to fit...that's what happened in Buffalo...no one would say they had elite talent outside of Allen & Diggs but Daboll is making players better...you know like a good coach should be *cough Matt Nagy cough*

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Same question marks hit Waldron & Kubiak...any of those four could be awesome head coaches but they would also be massive risks...Daboll is the guy who gives you a ready made HC because of his experience & production...

If you bring in Daboll & Schoen/Morgan at GM I also think you can almost take a rest year from spending big...let these guys sign solid talents and have Daboll build the scheme to fit...that's what happened in Buffalo...no one would say they had elite talent outside of Allen & Diggs but Daboll is making players better...you know like a good coach should be *cough Matt Nagy cough*

I would love a Morgan-Daboll pairing.

Maybe grab Jerod Mayo to be DC or keep Desai.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I would love a Morgan-Daboll pairing.

Maybe grab Jerod Mayo to be DC or keep Desai.

Would be happy with with Schoen or Morgan...whoever Daboll wants...

Derrick Ansley is the DC I want.

Watching the Bills game tonight and a couple of things are really clear...

#1 this is probably the worst half of football they have played offensively all season and they still have over 240 yards of total offence...50% conversion on 3rd down and most importantly 20 points again a good Titans D that for the most part is playing pretty well.

#2 this offence must be a nightmare to game plan for...everything is on the table...they run inside & outside zone...power...misdirection runs with guys who aren't running backs...screens...tunnel screens to the WRs...quick outs...deep crosses...play action out the gun and under centre...RPO...option routes...about 30 different formations it is all on the table but at the same time everyone seems to understand their roles and not make mistakes...it is exceptional to watch and easy to see why they keep scoring over 35 points.

#3 Daboll is doing all this while finding out on the flight to Nashville that the Grandfather that raised him had died...three weeks after the Grandmother that raised him died...exceptional guy who said they would want him to be a professional and coach...got to respect that mind set.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Watching the Bills game tonight and a couple of things are really clear...

#1 this is probably the worst half of football they have played offensively all season and they still have over 240 yards of total offence...50% conversion on 3rd down and most importantly 20 points again a good Titans D that for the most part is playing pretty well.

#2 this offence must be a nightmare to game plan for...everything is on the table...they run inside & outside zone...power...misdirection runs with guys who aren't running backs...screens...tunnel screens to the WRs...quick outs...deep crosses...play action out the gun and under centre...RPO...option routes...about 30 different formations it is all on the table but at the same time everyone seems to understand their roles and not make mistakes...it is exceptional to watch and easy to see why they keep scoring over 35 points.

#3 Daboll is doing all this while finding out on the flight to Nashville that the Grandfather that raised him had died...three weeks after the Grandmother that raised him died...exceptional guy who said they would want him to be a professional and coach...got to respect that mind set.

The Titans defense haven't been good for about a decade now and they were down to scraps at DB in this game (especially when Jackson left the game). And calling a QB sneak with the game on the line when the OL was having trouble getting a push up front on most run plays all game while also doing pretty good in pass pro was a questionable play call at best. He had two better options here IMO. Keep to the strength of offense and call a pass play to get a first down or TD. Or kick an easy FG and trust your offense to move downfield in OT against a defense that hasn't been able to stop you.

If Daboll was on the Bears and made this call....we would be killing him for it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The Titans defense haven't been good for about a decade now and they were down to scraps at DB in this game (especially when Jackson left the game). And calling a QB sneak with the game on the line when the OL was having trouble getting a push up front on most run plays all game while also doing pretty good in pass pro was a questionable play call at best. He had two better options here IMO. Keep to the strength of offense and call a pass play to get a first down or TD. Or kick an easy FG and trust your offense to move downfield in OT against a defense that hasn't been able to stop you.

If Daboll was on the Bears and made this call....we would be killing him for it.

Lucky it wasn't Daboll making the call to go for it then...McDermott made the call because the Bills D couldn't stop the Titans' offence.

Also hindsight is 20/20...when you have a 6-5" 240lbs QB at the goal line a sneak is the call most would make...the call wasn't the issue...the fact Allen's feet slipped from under him was...that's not on coaching.

22 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

not your fault, this new "monday night football" experiment by the nfl probably wont last long

I never was big on these new hipster trends.

My Potential Head Coach Rankings through Week 6...

#1...Brian Daboll...Bills OC...Still the clear cut number one for me...experience, production, development of a QB all key things that we need here...players seem to love him as well which might be the biggest part of being an HC...biggest concern is any team with an opening will be after him and could be willing to give him more control than we will.

#2...Shane Waldron...Seahawks OC...I love his scheme especially given Fields skill set and when you dig into the number behind the numbers Waldron's offence is being really productive even with injuries and a terrible defence barely giving them the ball back...players really seem to have his back...very highly rated by McVay...his inexperience would be a major concern but at least I think he could put together a good staff.

#3...Kellen Moore...Cowboys OC...Offence is super productive and seems to add new innovation week after week...concerns would be does he even get out of Dallas or would Jones simply promote him as well as his inexperience as a coach overall and who he could bring with him...my other concern is just how much talent that Dallas offence has is something we couldn't mach here for at least a few years...that said if we want to get our own "McVay" this could be the guy.

#4...Greg Roman...Ravens OC...I didn't have Roman on my shortlist and still have major concerns...not because of the experience, production or ability to tailor to his offensive players...but because so many teams have already passed on Roman as a HC and apparently he is an out and out control freak who would struggle with managing the full franchise...that said you don't know what you don't know and Roman could be a major surprise if he is ever given the chance...staff he could bring with him could be sensational.

#5...Klint Kubiak...Vikings OC...Another guy pushed up the list because of the offence he runs and the production it is currently having...Kubiak brings as pure a form of the WCO as you could imagine and that fits Fields extremely well...Inexperience would be a major concern even being a head coaches son as would the caliber of staff he could bring with him.

#6...Byron Leftwich...Bucs OC...Staff he could bring with him could be excellent...love the fact he played in the league for so long...but how much is the Brady effect? I just don't see what real success dude has had outside of having the GOAT play under him.

#7...Joe Brady...Carolina OC...Brady's offence has fallen off a bit since last year as has his stock...still clearly a smart young offensive mind but seems to not be able to adapt to injury as well as some others have...concerns about his inexperience and the staff he could build would be valid.

#8...Kevin O'Connell...Rams OC...Everyone wants McVay's play book but do we want another guy who hasn't struck out on his own or called plays with that offence? I am not sure and can't make an argument for him over the likes of Waldron who came out the same system.

#9...Mike McDaniel...49ers OC...The more research in McDaniel I do the more I see a Pete Carmichael type...quirky personality and not sure he could command a room.

#10...Brian Callaghan...Bengals OC...a real outside bet but the work he has done with Joe Burrow shouldn't go unnoticed...decent experience level and links to coaches but again not a play caller.

#11...Josh McDaniels...Pats OC...doing a good job with Mac Jones...but I don't see how any franchise outside of NE could trust him.

Daboll will hopefully be the guy but if not I really hopefully the next guy is one of the other top 3 because I feel they are ahead of the curve at this point.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

My Potential Head Coach Rankings through Week 6...

#1...Brian Daboll...Bills OC...Still the clear cut number one for me...experience, production, development of a QB all key things that we need here...players seem to love him as well which might be the biggest part of being an HC...biggest concern is any team with an opening will be after him and could be willing to give him more control than we will.

#2...Shane Waldron...Seahawks OC...I love his scheme especially given Fields skill set and when you dig into the number behind the numbers Waldron's offence is being really productive even with injuries and a terrible defence barely giving them the ball back...players really seem to have his back...very highly rated by McVay...his inexperience would be a major concern but at least I think he could put together a good staff.

#3...Kellen Moore...Cowboys OC...Offence is super productive and seems to add new innovation week after week...concerns would be does he even get out of Dallas or would Jones simply promote him as well as his inexperience as a coach overall and who he could bring with him...my other concern is just how much talent that Dallas offence has is something we couldn't mach here for at least a few years...that said if we want to get our own "McVay" this could be the guy.

#4...Greg Roman...Ravens OC...I didn't have Roman on my shortlist and still have major concerns...not because of the experience, production or ability to tailor to his offensive players...but because so many teams have already passed on Roman as a HC and apparently he is an out and out control freak who would struggle with managing the full franchise...that said you don't know what you don't know and Roman could be a major surprise if he is ever given the chance...staff he could bring with him could be sensational.

#5...Klint Kubiak...Vikings OC...Another guy pushed up the list because of the offence he runs and the production it is currently having...Kubiak brings as pure a form of the WCO as you could imagine and that fits Fields extremely well...Inexperience would be a major concern even being a head coaches son as would the caliber of staff he could bring with him.

#6...Byron Leftwich...Bucs OC...Staff he could bring with him could be excellent...love the fact he played in the league for so long...but how much is the Brady effect? I just don't see what real success dude has had outside of having the GOAT play under him.

#7...Joe Brady...Carolina OC...Brady's offence has fallen off a bit since last year as has his stock...still clearly a smart young offensive mind but seems to not be able to adapt to injury as well as some others have...concerns about his inexperience and the staff he could build would be valid.

#8...Kevin O'Connell...Rams OC...Everyone wants McVay's play book but do we want another guy who hasn't struck out on his own or called plays with that offence? I am not sure and can't make an argument for him over the likes of Waldron who came out the same system.

#9...Mike McDaniel...49ers OC...The more research in McDaniel I do the more I see a Pete Carmichael type...quirky personality and not sure he could command a room.

#10...Brian Callaghan...Bengals OC...a real outside bet but the work he has done with Joe Burrow shouldn't go unnoticed...decent experience level and links to coaches but again not a play caller.

#11...Josh McDaniels...Pats OC...doing a good job with Mac Jones...but I don't see how any franchise outside of NE could trust him.

Daboll will hopefully be the guy but if not I really hopefully the next guy is one of the other top 3 because I feel they are ahead of the curve at this point.

I’m moving Moore up near the top because he’s been successful at several jobs, with varying degrees of autonomy, and because he’s running an offense inspired by his experience as a player. We’ve seen Dak become a top QB in that offense, and Fields is very similar as a QB.

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I’m moving Moore up near the top because he’s been successful at several jobs, with varying degrees of autonomy, and because he’s running an offense inspired by his experience as a player. We’ve seen Dak become a top QB in that offense, and Fields is very similar as a QB.

I'm just really concerned about how much talent he has to work with...Prescott..Zeke & Pollard...Cooper, Lamb & when healthy Gallup...Schultz & Jarwin...then that OL when healthy with Smith, Martin & Collins...even Williams & Biazdasz have really came along this season...I can't think of a franchise that have drafted better on the offensive side of the ball recently and I just don't see how we could compete with that level of talent...now the argument could be made he is elevating them and I don't doubt that but from what I have studied of their offence it is a lot guys just flat out winning 1on1 and we don't have anything like that talent.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm just really concerned about how much talent he has to work with...Prescott..Zeke & Pollard...Cooper, Lamb & when healthy Gallup...Schultz & Jarwin...then that OL when healthy with Smith, Martin & Collins...even Williams & Biazdasz have really came along this season...I can't think of a franchise that have drafted better on the offensive side of the ball recently and I just don't see how we could compete with that level of talent...now the argument could be made he is elevating them and I don't doubt that but from what I have studied of their offence it is a lot guys just flat out winning 1on1 and we don't have anything like that talent.

I'd be more concerned if all those players had super pedigrees, but many of them were mid-round picks who have outperformed expectations. Even guys like Cooper and Dak have played better under Moore than under other coaches. I think we have to give Moore some credit for that. And the Bears need to start bringing in that kind of talent.

Just now, abstract_thought said:

I'd be more concerned if all those players had super pedigrees, but many of them were mid-round picks who have outperformed expectations. Even guys like Cooper and Dak have played better under Moore than under other coaches. I think we have to give Moore some credit for that. And the Bears need to start bringing in that kind of talent.

I think he has clearly had a great impact on that offence and can't deny how great of a play caller he is...I just think it could take a few years to get us to that level and with such a young inexperienced guy I just wonder if that would maybe break his sprite a bit like we have seen with so many bright young minds in the past...coaches who have never had failures are always a risk to be head coaches...that said if it wasn't for Daboll being good across the board and Waldron coming from a background that I think fits schematically and could mean we get a ton of coaching talent to come with him Moore would be #1...I just don't see how he could build a great coaching staff...could bring George Edwards or Teryl Austin as DC but neither would be knock out hires...after that I don't know who else he is bringing.