Bears purchase land in Chicago suburb Arlington Heights

pwny

On 9/29/2021 at 7:00 AM, Shockwave said:

Recently drove my oldest daughter to Chicago to drop her off at UChicago for Grad School. Spent a week there touring and taking in the sites. It was by far the WORST city I have ever attempted to drive in. Now I've never driven in LA but compared to Boston, Providence, Orlando, Atlanta, Denver, New York City, Cleveland etc.. I was absolutely shellshocked at how difficult it was to get around the city. And that is saying something because Boston is a maze of twisty turny one way streets. The combination of the bike lanes and pedestrians that don't even look before darting across the street I was scared to go over 10 MPH in most areas. Eventually we just started taking the Metra everywhere. I guess long story short... my point is the city itself is so bad to drive around that any relief is good from my viewpoint

LOL

15 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I want to know where he was driving in NYC that wasn’t at minimum the same as Chicago. 

Exactly!  I used to drive a truck and drove through Chicago many times.  I didn't go into the deepest parts of downtown, but I got around in the city a decent amount.  My experience with the drivers in Chicago was that they drive fast, but they know how to drive.

In comparison, I was sent into New York City one time with a three-stop load for Long Island.  I felt extremely fortunate to have gotten out of there safely.  They have numerous bridges that are labeled as being 1-2 feet lower than they actually are - which is a big problem when you are driving a vehicle that is 13'6" tall.  Rush hour in NYC happens 24 hours a day, and I saw drivers making stupid moves that you wouldn't believe.  I have no problem going to Chicago, but after that one trip, I told my dispatcher that if they ever try to force me to go back to NYC, I would quit my job before going back there, and I meant it.

Not only that, but the pizza is way better in Chi-town.  ;)

Edited by Uncle Buck

14 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I want to know where he was driving in NYC that wasn’t at minimum the same as Chicago. 

I was laughing because people do cross streets wherever and it is really hard to get around if you don’t know what you are doing.  The people aren’t blindly crossing though, they know to avoid cars.  Just drive. 

And Chicago is actually laid out on a grid pattern and was fairly well planned.  It is really hard to get lost even before GPS was thing.

Having alleys and what not also helped a lot with sanitation.  NY reeks with garbage all over sidewalks.  

On 9/29/2021 at 6:03 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Having family in the area, from a convenience standpoint and travel flow, this would be better geographically.

That said, one of the coolest parts of Chicago is that the lakefront doesn't have any private property, and Soldier Field being right by all the major museums and the trails on this huge park that you can walk or bike all the way up to Navy pier is one of the best parts of the city. Plus you have the history of the stadium. So, I get it, but let's not pretend you aren't losing something by moving the team to the northwest side.

It’s a convenience for the suburbanites who don’t like the walk from Soldier Field to the Roosevelt station. What about the city folk who HAVE to take the L like @-Hope-mentioned? I’m actually more upset that they didn’t just make a better stadium when they remodeled in 2003.

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was laughing because people do cross streets wherever and it is really hard to get around if you don’t know what you are doing.  The people aren’t blindly crossing though, they know to avoid cars.  Just drive. 

And Chicago is actually laid out on a grid pattern and was fairly well planned.  It is really hard to get lost even before GPS was thing.

Having alleys and what not also helped a lot with sanitation.  NY reeks with garbage all over sidewalks.  

They really do though. I had to slam on my brakes numerous times for people who just blatantly darted out into the road. The bike lanes cause alot of havoc too, the bikers are mostly college kids and have no idea they need to obey traffic laws. I'm not saying driving through NYC isn't a nightmare in itself (which is also a grid pattern). Boston is truly worse then NYC though. You miss a turn you are spending the next 30 mins circling back because it's all one ways and twisting roads. Granted I'll admit I was driving around Chicago in a Tahoe that we had rented for the trip and the thing was a boat. But I stand by my statement. Worse city I've ever driven around in. 

20 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

They really do though. I had to slam on my brakes numerous times for people who just blatantly darted out into the road. The bike lanes cause alot of havoc too, the bikers are mostly college kids and have no idea they need to obey traffic laws. I'm not saying driving through NYC isn't a nightmare in itself (which is also a grid pattern). Boston is truly worse then NYC though. You miss a turn you are spending the next 30 mins circling back because it's all one ways and twisting roads. Granted I'll admit I was driving around Chicago in a Tahoe that we had rented for the trip and the thing was a boat. But I stand by my statement. Worse city I've ever driven around in. 

I haven't lived there in 20 years so may be right.  

When I lived there I got around okay though.  Mostly by train, feet and bus.   Only used car to leave city and get groceries.  

I'd have been sad at the prospect of the Bears leaving Soldier Field if it weren't for that Eyesore of a renovation they did to the place fifteen years ago.

As long as it's not a dome and maybe they do the proper thing and name it after the Papa Bear([BLEEP] naming rights), all's good.

4 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

I'd have been sad at the prospect of the Bears leaving Soldier Field if it weren't for that Eyesore of a renovation they did to the place fifteen years ago.

As long as it's not a dome and maybe they do the proper thing and name it after the Papa Bear([BLEEP] naming rights), all's good.

Were you also said when they left Wrigley Field, their original home of 50 years.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:00 AM, Shockwave said:

Recently drove my oldest daughter to Chicago to drop her off at UChicago for Grad School. Spent a week there touring and taking in the sites. It was by far the WORST city I have ever attempted to drive in. Now I've never driven in LA but compared to Boston, [B]Providence[/b], Orlando, Atlanta, Denver, New York City, Cleveland etc.. I was absolutely shellshocked at how difficult it was to get around the city. And that is saying something because Boston is a maze of twisty turny one way streets. The combination of the bike lanes and pedestrians that don't even look before darting across the street I was scared to go over 10 MPH in most areas. Eventually we just started taking the Metra everywhere. I guess long story short... my point is the city itself is so bad to drive around that any relief is good from my viewpoint.

Providence represent 

• Like 1