2021 Week Four GDT Steelers at Packers

Steeler Hitman

55 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m sorry but that would be stupid if they like one. 

Looks like the Steelers will have 4 major needs next offseason....QB/OL/CB/SS...possibly WR since JuJu and Washington are probably both gone....not to mention some secondary needs like #2 TE and Edge depth.

Theyll fill a few of those in FA but we won’t know what is needed til March.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Looks like the Steelers will have 4 major needs next offseason....QB/OL/CB/SS...possibly WR since JuJu and Washington are probably both gone....not to mention some secondary needs like #2 TE and Edge depth.

Theyll fill a few of those in FA but we won’t know what is needed til March.

I don’t think WR is a big need even if we lose JuJu and Washington. Diontae and Claypool are a pretty good #1 and #2. We’ll also have Pat. He’s going to start demanding a big share of targets. I think Gentry takes a big step next year too. Everything else I agree completely with. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

As I said, warts.  My dream would be to trade back and get a Olineman or one of the good S or CB in this draft.

I'd love to get a top OL in round 1 and C.Strong in Round 2 then use 3 and 4 to upgrade our DBs.
I know mock simulators are a bit suspect, to say the least, but it is clear the top QBs in this draft
appear to be sliding, relative to other positions. That could be good for us. 

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t think WR is a big need even if we lose JuJu and Washington. Diontae and Claypool are a pretty good #1 and #2. We’ll also have Pat. He’s going to start demanding a big share of targets. I think Gentry takes a big step next year too. Everything else I agree completely with. 

You got to be at least 3 deep at WR in today’s NFL...my guess is that they’ll use a top 3 round pick on it per usual.

Gentry finally made 53 in year 3...I don’t expect much of him going forward.

I think DL is going be a need soon. Heyward is getting up there, tyson might be done and Tuitt misses too much time and I can see him retiring/being washed by the time he's 30(2 yrs from now) Loudermilk/Carlos Davis(if they work out) might be the only current steeler D-linemen on the roster by 2023

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’m sorry but that would be stupid if they like one. 

I would be completely fine with beefing up the trenches and rolling with a stop-gap QB in 2022 and waiting to address QB in 2023 when the QB prospects are far superior. I absolutely do not want to burn a 2nd round pick on a QB we are just “ok” with in a weak QB draft class.

I'm willing for them to beef up the O-line with the 1st pick and bring in someone like Mitch trubisky, Miarota, tyrod, Minshew etc..(I think Canada could run his full offense with players like that) to compete with mason and see how that goes for a yr. I hope the Giants move on from Jones, I think he would be worth kicking the tires on. I want a mobile QB on this roster next yr over haskins to compete with Mason if we go down that road.

Edited by August4th

8 hours ago, AFF said:

You got to be at least 3 deep at WR in today’s NFL...my guess is that they’ll use a top 3 round pick on it per usual.

Gentry finally made 53 in year 3...I don’t expect much of him going forward.

I don't think it's absolutely a need to have 3 WRs if you have a TE and RB as good as we do. Look at the Chiefs WRs. They've got HIll and nobody worth mentioning. We will need WR depth, but I think we do a good enough job of finding those guys that I'm not too worried. 

Here's the thing though.....If they are sitting at 5 and really like the kid from Liberty, or Rattler, or the UNC kid....draft him.  Getting the kid you believe in there and having that 5 year contract is worth more than waiting because you never know when you will be in position to get it again.

This is the exact mistake the Giants made when they took Saquan.  They didn't go with the QB, so the next year they had to take a lesser QB because they weren't bad enough, and now they are stuck.

And just because you take one high in 2022 doesn't exclude you from taking someone else you may think is better.  Darnald was replaced after two years.  Rosen after 1 year.  Goff and Wentz barely touched their extensions before being moved.  Missing on a QB isn't the death blow it used to be.

So take the QB, sign the OL, and go from there.  It's easier to find OL, DB's, WRs, RBs, LBs, than it is QB's and EDGE.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

I think DL is going be a need soon. Heyward is getting up there, tyson might be done and Tuitt misses too much time and I can see him retiring/being washed by the time he's 30(2 yrs from now) Loudermilk/Carlos Davis(if they work out) might be the only current steeler D-linemen on the roster by 2023

Heyward isn’t cuttable for 2 more years and Tuitt restructure made cutting him after this season probsbly not worth it....plus they have decent depth in Wormley next year and a longer term project in Loudermilk as well.

I forgot about Alalu truthfully so we’ll have to see how Biggs/Davis do.

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think it's absolutely a need to have 3 WRs if you have a TE and RB as good as we do. Look at the Chiefs WRs. They've got HIll and nobody worth mentioning. We will need WR depth, but I think we do a good enough job of finding those guys that I'm not too worried. 

Hill is also a top 3-5 WR abd Kelce is the best TE in football...Claypool and Johnson are good WRs but not elite(Johnson could be AB lite).

The Steelers tend to like those 2nd and 3rd round WRs...I’m guessing they’ll draft another one....however without knowing who’s a FA next offseason save for Allen Robinson, I’d be ok for paying up for the right one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Getting the kid you believe in there and having that 5 year contract is worth more than waiting because you never know when you will be in position to get it again

This I absolutely agree with. If you believe the player is good and is your franchise guy -- take him. That should be no questions asked. My concern is that there is no one worth taking and you take one just to take one because you don't draft top 5-10 very often. 

Honestly, if we are top 5 and we don't buy into any guy being franchise worthy -- Gimme that Dolphins deal. Move back and let someone else take a QB you don't believe in and collect future firsts so that you have a package to move up and take someone you do believe in or have all the ammunition you need to rebuild talent around a Carr-like stopgap. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

This I absolutely agree with. If you believe the player is good and is your franchise guy -- take him. That should be no questions asked. My concern is that there is no one worth taking and you take one just to take one because you don't draft top 5-10 very often. 

Honestly, if we are top 5 and we don't buy into any guy being franchise worthy -- Gimme that Dolphins deal. Move back and let someone else take a QB you don't believe in and collect future firsts so that you have a package to move up and take someone you do believe in or have all the ammunition you need to rebuild talent around a Carr-like stopgap. 

Maybe. But that’s why saying now you’d move down because a guy has a flaw is a silly idea to me. First off from a fan perspective we can only go off tape and interviews pre/post game. NFL teams can go much more in depth. 

And diving into these guys warts, some of them are coachable, and some are starting to prove to be wrong. Like Willis starting 1.5 years. There’s plenty of NFL QBs that are decent with that experience (Brady, Murray, Burrow, Tannehill). Take someone like Spencer Rattler. I’ve heard some of his warts being the taking unnecessary risks with the ball. Kinda like Big Ben, ARod, Stafford, Mahomes. Like, these generational, Cant-miss, no flaw QBs are so damn rare that you will wait forever for one. Most the time what you are looking for is the guy with the flaw you feel you can improve. He’ll look at this year:

Lawrence - Bulk

Wilson - Holds onto the ball and stares guys down

Lance - Didn’t start many games

Jones - Not athletic

Fields - Cant read a field 

If you were looking and waiting for a new flaw guy then those last 4 shouldn’t have been first half of the first round picks.