2021 Week Four GDT Steelers at Packers

Steeler Hitman

If you truly believe in a QB take him...but you have to surround him with talent.

Its one reason I liked what the Steelers did with 4 straight Offensive picks in this past draft. You secured your RB/TE and hopefully at least 1 OL with those 4 picks.

In FA next year, I’d love to get at least 1 OL and 1 DB(since we can’t draft them for the most part)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Maybe. But that’s why saying now you’d move down because a guy has a flaw is a silly idea to me. First off from a fan perspective we can only go off tape and interviews pre/post game. NFL teams can go much more in depth. 

And diving into these guys warts, some of them are coachable, and some are starting to prove to be wrong. Like Willis starting 1.5 years. There’s plenty of NFL QBs that are decent with that experience (Brady, Murray, Burrow, Tannehill). Take someone like Spencer Rattler. I’ve heard some of his warts being the taking unnecessary risks with the ball. Kinda like Big Ben, ARod, Stafford, Mahomes. Like, these generational, Cant-miss, no flaw QBs are so damn rare that you will wait forever for one. Most the time what you are looking for is the guy with the flaw you feel you can improve. He’ll look at this year:

Lawrence - Bulk

Wilson - Holds onto the ball and stares guys down

Lance - Didn’t start many games

Jones - Not athletic

Fields - Cant read a field 

If you were looking and waiting for a new flaw guy then those last 4 shouldn’t have been first half of the first round picks. 

Honestly, my comment has nothing to do with ignoring warts or anyone in particular. I just mean it in general...if you are the team and you don't think anyone has FRANCHISE build, take the far more talented guy and wait or get a package to aim for a better stock in the future. I am okay with that. 

The list you mentioned before about it not being a death blow is a bit of an unknown at this point. The Cards needed the first overall pick to get a game changer in Murray, the Rams had to trade 2 firsts + Goff (a medium okay QB), the Jets still might suck, and the Eagles also still might suck, but just differently with a running QB. 

So far, the best solution to replacing your missed 1st round pick QB is to suck so bad you get the first overall pick next time or trade your future firsts and take on a top 10 salary to get your guy. 

My bigger problem is that QB is overvalued right now, but rightly so because it is immensely important. But a top 10 QB this year maybe the 50th best player in the draft. Taking that guy (if you don't believe in him) to check a box when you could take the 4th best overall talent at a T or DE/DT (making that up) is the absolute wrong move to me. 

If your choices are someone you don't fully believe in at QB vs a game changer talent like Thibodeaux, Hamilton, Neal, or Stringley -- I would rather you pass on the box checking and take the better player. 

But this is all just spitting out junk because the Steelers believe that Mason Rudolph was a first round talent, so they are going to like someone in this draft too. 

I like more of the Cowher/Seattle/KC model of getting that good team then getting QB.  Sure, if you fall in love with a QB then get him but I remember that the Steelers said ( true or not) they had a 1dt round grade on Rudolph.  If they draft a QB like Ridder or Willis, Tomlin is so risk adverse that they would waste them.

i do not see any QB in this draft that is a day 1 starter or even a year 1 starter.  I could be wrong ( and often am) but all of these QBs need some training.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I like more of the Cowher/Seattle/KC model of getting that good team then getting QB.  Sure, if you fall in love with a QB then get him but I remember that the Steelers said ( true or not) they had a 1dt round grade on Rudolph.  If they draft a QB like Ridder or Willis, Tomlin is so risk adverse that they would waste them.

i do not see any QB in this draft that is a day 1 starter or even a year 1 starter.  I could be wrong ( and often am) but all of these QBs need some training.

I agree with all these points. I think we've got the bones of a good team. We just need a few extra pieces, namely QB. I also agree that this year's QB is pretty weak. It really stinks that we'll have so much money, Ben off the roster, a great defense, solid weapons, a high draft pick, but a bad QB class. Maybe we grab a difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. We need a Dlinemen and CB. A stud EDGE guy would be awesome too. Ride with Haskins or Mason next year, probably be average, then make a major swing in the next draft for a QB. That's kind of a KC model. I doubt Mason and Haskins will be as competent as Alex Smith was, though. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

This I absolutely agree with. If you believe the player is good and is your franchise guy -- take him. That should be no questions asked. My concern is that there is no one worth taking and you take one just to take one because you don't draft top 5-10 very often. 

Honestly, if we are top 5 and we don't buy into any guy being franchise worthy -- Gimme that Dolphins deal. Move back and let someone else take a QB you don't believe in and collect future firsts so that you have a package to move up and take someone you do believe in or have all the ammunition you need to rebuild talent around a Carr-like stopgap. 

Yep, if you don’t like it...get a few 1s and a 2nd or 3rd and fill in other spots at the skill positions or OL. Use FA for mainly defensive holes except for an upper tier FA on the OL.

At some point you call the trainer and his team into the office and ask "sup?".

This is not an endorsement of any kinda to fire the training staff, but you don't get this run of bad luck with a specific kind of injury without the idea that there might be a local cause. Maybe they added a new exercise during the week or found a new stretching style that is putting groins at risk. Don't know. I'd probably ask at least. 

• Like 2

We should have traded up for Fields when we had the chance. First (Najee) and 5th (Buddy Johnson) plus 1st and 3rd next year could’ve gotten it done. 

I said this leading up to the draft but Fields would almost be a lock to be the #1 overall pick this year. That’s not a bad price to pay when you think of it that way. 

Then with Ben off the books we would have plenty of cap space to address o-line and CB in the offseason. 

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

We should have traded up for Fields when we had the chance. First (Najee) and 5th (Buddy Johnson) plus 1st and 3rd next year could’ve gotten it done. 

I said this leading up to the draft but Fields would almost be a lock to be the #1 overall pick this year. That’s not a bad price to pay when you think of it that way. 

Then with Ben off the books we would have plenty of cap space to address o-line and CB in the offseason. 

No thanks trading up for Fields.   

Fields fell for numerous reasons.

He would get destroyed behind this line and might hinder his development going forward.

If we traded up for Fields, we would be in pretty much the same situation we are in now...but without a probable top 10 pick in the draft next year.   Sure we MIGHT have our long term QB...but our line might be a mess for years as well.   

The reality is...this is not a good place for developing a young QB right now.   

We shouldve drafted Lamar Jackson a few years ago (which I was in favor of) and we have our QB and keep him away from our biggest rivals.

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

We shouldve drafted Lamar Jackson a few years ago (which I was in favor of) and we have our QB and keep him away from our biggest rivals.

I am just curious, but do you think Tomlin would have bought in like Harbaugh? I really dislike Harbaugh, but the one thing I think he absolutely nailed was buying 100% into Jackson. The coordinator, the structure, the style, the players -- everything. 

I don't think Lamar succeeds in the NFL without that buy into completely revolutionize the style of which the NFL is played behind one player....it's also why I question them trying to become more of a passing team, but that's another topic for another day. 

Tomlin's "the standard is the standard" talk makes me think he may not have bought in as much to Lamar and rather would have expected Lamar to fit in more to the NFL. But I really don't know. 

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I am just curious, but do you think Tomlin would have bought in like Harbaugh? I really dislike Harbaugh, but the one thing I think he absolutely nailed was buying 100% into Jackson. The coordinator, the structure, the style, the players -- everything. 

I don't think Lamar succeeds in the NFL without that buy into completely revolutionize the style of which the NFL is played behind one player....it's also why I question them trying to become more of a passing team, but that's another topic for another day. 

Tomlin's "the standard is the standard" talk makes me think he may not have bought in as much to Lamar and rather would have expected Lamar to fit in more to the NFL. But I really don't know. 

Good point...and you could be 100% right.

However, I think you need to adapt to Fields as well.   And at least a few years ago, Lamar wouldve had time to adapt and we wouldn't have had to trade up.    No way Id give up that much for Fields when we have no OL, and his best RB wouldve possibly been Benny Snell.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Ben meet the bus. 

The one fourth down throw to Juju, I'd like to know who he was supposed to throw to, exactly, especially with one of the 7% of pressures Green Bay had in the game was on that particularly play and one of Ben's OL was getting walked right back into his lap.

If Ben is making these decisions, he does need to be benched because he is legit seeing ghosts and it's not going to get better behind this OL. If he is playing the way he is coached, the coaching is terrible. Taking away Ben's ability to audible was a terrible idea. Taking away his no-huddle package was a terrible idea.

The one strength Ben should have at this stage of his career is his experience, and the team has done everything to neuter that. And Ben is either not comfortable enough in the new scheme to trust what he is seeing or he's just not able to trust his OL.