Report: Colorado State, Air Force eyeing move to AAC

CWood21

15 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

This move seems so weird.  AAC lost their three best programs, is likely to lose Memphis, and is not conveniently located to those schools at all.  Mountain West is a better conference with the changes and travel is easier.  Is their Commish just so inept that he could lose teams like this?

where is memphis going?

9 hours ago, ianlewis16 said:

That just seems like a good fit. 

To me it does. I thought Cincinnati, BYU, Central Florida and Memphis should have been brought in years ago insteadof staying at 10. Big 12 would be much better off if they had added teams and been at 14 before the latest defection.

Looks like Colorado State and Air Force are staying in the Mountain West, which makes more sense to me. They should be proactive about adding some schools. Something out if Texas, maybe Tulsa.

On 9/30/2021 at 7:50 PM, Beck Bristow said:

Nothing guaranteed, but if Big 12 expands again as has been suggested,  Memphis seems the most likely candidate. 

Memphis seems to consistently be on the outside looking in.  Boise State is apparently holding out for a Big 12 invite.  There was talk that Colorado State's market would make them appealing to the Big 12.  Just don't see Memphis being someone that the Big 12 is tripping over.

4 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

To me it does. I thought Cincinnati, BYU, Central Florida and Memphis should have been brought in years ago insteadof staying at 10. Big 12 would be much better off if they had added teams and been at 14 before the latest defection.

Looks like Colorado State and Air Force are staying in the Mountain West, which makes more sense to me. They should be proactive about adding some schools. Something out if Texas, maybe Tulsa.

IF they're going to poach from Texas (which Tulsa isn't), they're better off trying to poach someone like UTSA or North Texas.  But the Mountain West doesn't have a ton of appeal right now.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

IF they're going to poach from Texas (which Tulsa isn't), they're better off trying to poach someone like UTSA or North Texas.  But the Mountain West doesn't have a ton of appeal right now.

Sorry.  Read that as "Something out of Texas(UTSA, UTEP, Rice, SMU, North Texas) or maybe Tulsa. 

MW suffers the same way the Pac has been. Just not enough exposure to the rest of the country. They were right on par with the old big east, before losing Utah, TCU and BYU. Not getting back into Texas right away was a mistake. They really should be proactive and see what they can do to strengthen the conference before losing Boise, SDSU or the Colorado schools. 

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Memphis seems to consistently be on the outside looking in.  Boise State is apparently holding out for a Big 12 invite.  There was talk that Colorado State's market would make them appealing to the Big 12.  Just don't see Memphis being someone that the Big 12 is tripping over.

Memphis is really a best of what's left type school,  but there's definitely potential there. Colorado State is no where near where it could be, but they need to get things going in the right direction before they'll make sense as a Big XII candidate. Expanding into Florida really makes it hard for them to move west at all. Any conference expansion is really on potential and alumni at this point. BYU was the last big brand to be brought in. 

• 3 weeks later...

If anything, Air Force should join the Patriot League for their Olympic sports, bringing their football program into the ranks of the FBS independents.

Air Force would join the Patriot League despite being far removed from its Northeastern base because Army and Navy are also in the conference (except for football).

The federal government, which funds the three service academies, would help the fully private schools in the PL with their travel costs to and from Colorado Springs in return for the PL letting Air Force in.