Gibson too Fragile for Full Time R B ?

RSkinGM

I heard — per the guy on Instagram, so take it with a grain of salt 😂 — that it’s mostly precautionary and for rest purposes, so hopefully he’s okay. 

It’s tough, because he’s not really getting a heavy workload as it is. I would love to have another high-end RB to split the load with AG, but honestly, in this offense, I’m not sure how much work there would really be for that guy.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

I heard — per the guy on Instagram, so take it with a grain of salt 😂 — that it’s mostly precautionary and for rest purposes, so hopefully he’s okay. 

It’s tough, because he’s not really getting a heavy workload as it is. I would love to have another high-end RB to split the load with AG, but honestly, in this offense, I’m not sure how much work there would really be for that guy.

Agree.  Turner's offense seems to eschew using a running back as a running back.  So I am not sure if there is a point to adding another back.  It isn't like we are using patterson.  I would personally like to see more emphasis on the running game and particularly running between the tackles.  Take some pressure off the qb.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like he'll play this week with the injury . day to day week to week. Yoy know, we have a great history of moving R Bs to receivers . The two greats -Bobby Mitchell and Charley Taylor. Maybe Gibson should follow --at some point .  

I’d be completely okay drafting the Texas or either Georgia backs. These guys are all gifted and the georgia backs split the backfield already. Both can catch as well. That said I think if they tried to run Gibson on RPO’s instead of the 22 dive old 2 yards and a cloud of dust run style we run maybe he could use his talent in the open field and actually not have to run every snap he does into and through a NT, DE, LB every play maybe he would hold up. Maybe screen him creatively and give him option routes. He’s made for space and we run him up the Gut like we have the Cleveland Browns OL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’d be completely okay drafting the Texas or either Georgia backs. These guys are all gifted and the georgia backs split the backfield already. Both can catch as well. That said I think if they tried to run Gibson on RPO’s instead of the 22 dive old 2 yards and a cloud of dust run style we run maybe he could use his talent in the open field and actually not have to run every snap he does into and through a NT, DE, LB every play maybe he would hold up. Maybe screen him creatively and give him option routes. He’s made for space and we run him up the Gut like we have the Cleveland Browns OL.

Apparently our line is tops in run blocking win rate, and the second team is not even close.  I’ll have to relocate the article I read this past week. 

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Apparently our line is tops in run blocking win rate, and the second team is not even close.  I’ll have to relocate the article I read this past week. 

Really that’s crazy. Because it seems like Gibson is always being hit at the LOS rarely After that. They do pull well on sweeps but we don’t do many of those. I see us gain positive yards but we aren’t consistently running even when it’s effective. Taylor would be exciting improvising on RPO’s. We need to let him play his game and see what he does. We’re playing him into a system instead of playing to what he and these backs do well. The so good with JD but they can do much more with Taylor and AG and be more effective

On 9/30/2021 at 3:26 PM, RSkinGM said:

Man, toe last year, shoulder week 2 and now out with a shin injury. Will he always be dinged? Worried he can't take 15+ carries a game and survive.  

Mark my words, that shin injury is going to be a problem all year.

I think he has loads of talent. The problem with him is his durability.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

💯 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Mark my words, that shin injury is going to be a problem all year.

I think he has loads of talent. The problem with him is his durability.

All RBs get injured & play through injuries. I’m with @ripsean21 they are using Gibby wrong, they’re using him too much in between the tackles instead of more off tackle or in space. They need to draft a tough in between the tackles RB next draft in the mid to late rounds - hate to say it again, but we miss Barber in this role.

Luckily if Gibby is limited we have JD who is coming off his best game in a WFT uniform where he had 110 yards combined rushing and receiving and he averaged 5.6 ypc.

I was shocked they Patterson only got one carry last game. They gave him 1 carry, he got 5 yards and then didn’t give him one more carry…

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Edited by turtle28

What comes to my mind the most when thinking about this topic was taking Clinton Portia out of a zone blocking 1 cut and go scheme and putting him into Gibbs power man up the gut 2 yards and a cloud of dust scheme. Gibson is fighting through injury because they legit pound him like he’s a 235 plus back with no speed and don’t even try to work him in space. Gibson is a tough guy who has shown you can build around him and he’s clearly a leader.
That said if this staff would use he JD and Taylor to their skill sets we could really do some exciting things with the 3 coming out of the backfield. Out offense isn’t creative outside of 6 plays a game. They need to incorperate those 6 plays into about 55% of their scheme and pre snap and personnel. We should be lining up with 2 backs most the game given what we have out wide and with Thomas hurt even without Thomas hurt this should be a thing. I know they planned on having Samuel to be even more creative but even still with all the guys healthy this should be our base with a QB like Taylor. We have put Taylor in a box as of late and while Taylor is sometimes dangerous you have to allow him to do what he does best while he learns these things your forcing him to try. With Gib and JD we should be RPO and play action a lot more. Yes we screen well. But if we actually got exotic with RPO and split backfields and motions out pre snap we could do even better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

What comes to my mind the most when thinking about this topic was taking Clinton Portia out of a zone blocking 1 cut and go scheme and putting him into Gibbs power man up the gut 2 yards and a cloud of dust scheme. Gibson is fighting through injury because they legit pound him like he’s a 235 plus back with no speed and don’t even try to work him in space. Gibson is a tough guy who has shown you can build around him and he’s clearly a leader.
That said if this staff would use he JD and Taylor to their skill sets we could really do some exciting things with the 3 coming out of the backfield. Out offense isn’t creative outside of 6 plays a game. They need to incorperate those 6 plays into about 55% of their scheme and pre snap and personnel. We should be lining up with 2 backs most the game given what we have out wide and with Thomas hurt even without Thomas hurt this should be a thing. I know they planned on having Samuel to be even more creative but even still with all the guys healthy this should be our base with a QB like Taylor. We have put Taylor in a box as of late and while Taylor is sometimes dangerous you have to allow him to do what he does best while he learns these things your forcing him to try. With Gib and JD we should be RPO and play action a lot more. Yes we screen well. But if we actually got exotic with RPO and split backfields and motions out pre snap we could do even better.

Agreed.  I’d also like to see a fullback, or at least Settle/Payne act like one, in the red zone and on short yardage situations.  Tired of seeing us stopped in those situations running the ball out of jumbo sets from the shotgun.

• Like 1