Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

Good honestly.  I didn't like the idea of him aging in Green Bay.  I agree with everyone who wants a legitimate receiving threat at tight end.  Not Cook, not Bennett, not some other 29, 30 or older TE, but a long-term solution at the position.  Just not a first round pick. 

Edit: And before people tell me you need to use a first round pick to get one, the two best receiving tight ends in football were a 2nd and 3rd round pick. 

And before people tell me that was before the proliferation of receiving tight ends, no.  It wasn't.  Kelce was taken three years after Gronkowski.  So was Jordan Reed, also a third round pick.  Hunter Henry was taken 6 years after Gronkowski in the second round.  We should go after one in the second or third round of this year's draft. 

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Dang...would have been nice to get a TE in the 2017 draft class that was deep and talented.  Not liking the thoughts of the TE position for 2018 being Lance Kendricks as the only returning player.  

well, at least it's better than Kendricks AND Rodgers.

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Dang...would have been nice to get a TE in the 2017 draft class that was deep and talented.  Not liking the thoughts of the TE position for 2018 being Lance Kendricks as the only returning player.  

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

well, at least it's better than Kendricks AND Rodgers.

Would be nice to have a 2nd year TE in the system and ready for a bigger role.  Maybe someone on the PS or Michael Clark can develop into a pass catching TE type players.  Sandland could also be an option.

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Would be nice to have a 2nd year TE in the system and ready for a bigger role.  Maybe someone on the PS or Michael Clark can develop into a pass catching TE type players.  Sandland could also be an option.

You're talking like we needed to kknow a guy with a 3 year deal was gonna retire.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Not really.  The 2017 TE draft class was very talented and very deep.   It generally takes TE a few years to develop and produce.  Having 1 in the pipeline for when Bennett/Kendricks contracts were done would have been nice.  

Sure. But then we signed TWO free agents leaving RR as a 3rd TE. IDK how anyone can look back and say wow we messed up there. You're planning on having MB for more than a year. You gonna draft a guy to be TE4, who has real promise, to sit for multiple years? What's the damn point?

There's tons of legit complaints, but after signing double TE's, idk how not drafting one with legit potential (first 3 rounds) is something you can say straight faced.

Dude won't retire anyways, watch.

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Sure. But then we signed TWO free agents leaving RR as a 3rd TE. IDK how anyone can look back and say wow we messed up there. You're planning on having MB for more than a year. You gonna draft a guy to be TE4, who has real promise, to sit for multiple years? What's the damn point?

There's tons of legit complaints, but after signing double TE's, idk how not drafting one with legit potential (first 3 rounds) is something you can say straight faced.

Dude won't retire anyways, watch.

I see where you are coming from.  I just looked at this TE class as a deep and talented one to try to find a TE that would be ready for when Bennett/Kendricks contracts were done.  

As to whether Bennett will actually retire or not, that is something we shall see.  

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I see where you are coming from.  I just looked at this TE class as a deep and talented one to try to find a TE that would be ready for when Bennett/Kendricks contracts were done.  

As to whether Bennett will actually retire or not, that is something we shall see.  

He's a different kinda cat so who knows. But I've heard this all before too.

Archived