Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If Seattle doesn't want Graham and Bennett wants to go to a contender...   ;) 

that's a trade i could get on board with in a heartbeat. Doubt it but would do it easily, although what are the costs per player?

4 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

This is an example of a FA signing that didn't work out, but didnt kill the cap or destroy the team, like so many anti-FA fans are afraid of.

His retirement leaves 4.2 million in dead cap in 2018 and 2.1 in 2019. The Packers could try to fight that though.

It's not "destroying" the cap but it's still 6m less that we could have used to resign somebody or get a low-mid tier FA.

6 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

I had hight hopes for Bennet and it is too bad he really has not fit in well. I do think he should give it 1 more year with Rodgers. 

The fit has little to do with Rodgers and the offense, at least from Bennett's perspective. This scheme needs a Jared Cook. It does not need a wealthy man's Richard Rodgers, though that's neither here nor there.

The fit he's struggling with is the culture of the organization (not so much the leading bodies, but the internal staff that players interact with daily) and the GB community. This was never a good personality fit from the beginning. 

10 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

This is an example of a FA signing that didn't work out, but didnt kill the cap or destroy the team, like so many anti-FA fans are afraid of.

And if I wanted to nitpick I could say we could have gotten so and so for this same money etc etc like usually goes on when we do this with our own.

29 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Read that and just thought, okay. Gladly get rid of him and get the signing bonus money back. I’ve liked Kendrick’s better since the Seattle game. He seems to be moving better.

Do we get the signing bonus money back by default or do the Packers have to do something about it? I don't know how common / uncommon that is.

35 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Do we get the signing bonus money back by default or do the Packers have to do something about it? I don't know how common / uncommon that is.

They have to pursue it. Very simple. Rules are in the CBA... most teams do it, some opt not to with stars. But quitting on the team 8 weeks in? Yeah we’ll take that money now.

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The fit he's struggling with is the culture of the organization (not so much the leading bodies, but the internal staff that players interact with daily) and the GB community.

Hmm?

Not sure what to make of this.

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The fit has little to do with Rodgers and the offense, at least from Bennett's perspective

The fit he's struggling with is the culture of the organization (not so much the leading bodies, but the internal staff that players interact with daily) and the GB community. This was never a good personality fit from the beginning. 

Pretty strong statement.

I have no reason to dispute it, but it sure would be great to get some clarification as to what it is about "the GB community" that was never a good personality fit for Martellus Bennet from the beginning. 

And I can't hep but wonder if the "culture" problem lies more with "the GB community" including "the internal staff that players interact with daily" or with Bennett himself. 

I wonder this because Bennett, who grew up in Texas, started his career in Dallas, where he "hated" Cowboy TE Jason Witten and does not have fond memories of his experience ("Bennett was unable to push Witten out of playing time in Dallas. He would contend that was on the coaches. Others might contend Bennett didn’t produce when given the opportunities.") http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4754867/martellus-bennetts-comment-that-he-hated-jason-witten-has-no-affect-on-dallas-te

According to the Dallas Morning News, "most people around Dallas may remember Bennett as that underachiever who lacked maturity." https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/08/03/former-cowboys-te-martellus-bennett-says-always-hated-jason-witten-throws-shade-team 

I also wonder because while in Chicago Bennett had a problem with then teammate Kyle Fuller which led to quite the altercation ("One of Bennett’s most infamous moments in Chicago occurred during the 2014 training camp when he tossed promising rookie first-round pick Kyle Fuller to the ground with a violent rage.  He was subsequently suspended and fined by the team.") http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/16/lamarr-houston-martellus-bennett-go-at-it-on-day-2-of-bears-patriots-practices/

He later expressed his frustration over his time with the Bears by eloquently announcing “We just had a bunch of b****es on the roster — that’s why we didn’t win games — and coaches liked the b****es.” http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/martellus-bennett-says-bears-had-bunch-bs-jay-cutler-isnt-leader

It is also true that Bennett seems to have enjoyed his time in NY and his 1 year with the Patriots. Perhaps Bennett is only a fit with the even numbered teams he has been on (1 Dallas, 2 NY Giants, 3 Chicago, 4 NE, 5 GB). Or maybe it is something about the Northeast that makes him a better fit. Who knows.

So again, it would be great to get further information as to why some believe Bennett's problems this season are related to some undefined "cultural" issues with "the GB community" and "internal staff."  

10 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Pretty strong statement.

I have no reason to dispute it, but it sure would be great to get some clarification as to what it is about "the GB community" that was never a good personality fit for Martellus Bennet from the beginning. 

And I can't hep but wonder if the "culture" problem lies more with "the GB community" including "the internal staff that players interact with daily" or with Bennett himself. 

I wonder this because Bennett, who grew up in Texas, started his career in Dallas, where he "hated" Cowboy TE Jason Witten and does not have fond memories of his experience ("Bennett was unable to push Witten out of playing time in Dallas. He would contend that was on the coaches. Others might contend Bennett didn’t produce when given the opportunities.") http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4754867/martellus-bennetts-comment-that-he-hated-jason-witten-has-no-affect-on-dallas-te

According to the Dallas Morning News, "most people around Dallas may remember Bennett as that underachiever who lacked maturity." https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/08/03/former-cowboys-te-martellus-bennett-says-always-hated-jason-witten-throws-shade-team 

I also wonder because while in Chicago Bennett had a problem with then teammate Kyle Fuller which led to quite the altercation ("One of Bennett’s most infamous moments in Chicago occurred during the 2014 training camp when he tossed promising rookie first-round pick Kyle Fuller to the ground with a violent rage.  He was subsequently suspended and fined by the team.") http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/16/lamarr-houston-martellus-bennett-go-at-it-on-day-2-of-bears-patriots-practices/

He later expressed his frustration over his time with the Bears by eloquently announcing “We just had a bunch of b****es on the roster — that’s why we didn’t win games — and coaches liked the b****es.” http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/martellus-bennett-says-bears-had-bunch-bs-jay-cutler-isnt-leader

It is also true that Bennett seems to have enjoyed his time in NY and his 1 year with the Patriots. Perhaps Bennett is only a fit with the even numbered teams he has been on (1 Dallas, 2 NY Giants, 3 Chicago, 4 NE, 5 GB). Or maybe it is something about the Northeast that makes him a better fit. Who knows.

So again, it would be great to get further information as to why some believe Bennett's problems this season are related to some undefined "cultural" issues with "the GB community" and "internal staff."  

I would think his short term stints don't allow for him to really let loose on who and what he is and also don't let him cause any substantial problems. With that said, i would have rather had cook back after being here already for a season was surprised that we went the route we did. But also i'm happy we brought in Kendricks to back up this move should it not pan out. Kendricks seems to have much better speed.

I really wish we'd just let Kendricks start and come to a mutual agreement where we let Bennett go find his own team this year.  Kendricks is averaging 15 yards a catch on 6 catches and I think what we'd lose in run blocking we'd make up for in a receiving option. 

Archived