Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

23 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I really wish we'd just let Kendricks start and come to a mutual agreement where we let Bennett go find his own team this year.  Kendricks is averaging 15 yards a catch on 6 catches and I think what we'd lose in run blocking we'd make up for in a receiving option. 

what is the mechanism to allowing Marty leave barring a trade?  Why would we release a player and incur the dead money  (4.2 and 2.1 in 2018 and 2019) on a player who is still an NFL quality starter?

Trade seems like the only option right?  He can retire (which has same cap implications as a release) and then go on the "reserve-retired" list but we still retain his rights and have dead money on the books. If he "unretires" then you have a situation similar to Marshawn Lynch this year and the trade to Oakland.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

what is the mechanism to allowing Marty leave barring a trade?  Why would we release a player and incur the dead money  (4.2 and 2.1 in 2018 and 2019) on a player who is still an NFL quality starter?

Either a trade or a scenario in which Bennett just retires because it doesn't seem like he's fully interested in even playing.  He could just agree to not fight for the money that we'd try to get back in the event of his retirement. 

Yeah, this is going to go swimmingly with Martellus from here on out.

Asked why he won’t answer questions this week, Martellus Bennett said, “Nothing to talk about.” He announced potential retirement Saturday.

When asked what led to his decision to possibly retire after the season, he said: “Life.” And then he left.

Looks like a no go for Martellus Monday night.

"Bennett is battling a shoulder injury that prevented him from practicing on Thursday and Friday. McCarthy said Bennett was taking a “visit or two” to get more information on the ailment."

https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Packers-Lions-Injury-Report-Morgan-Burnett-Yes-Martellus-Bennett-Probably-No-109911476

FWIW, former Packer Gary Ellerson claimed, during his afternoon show out of Milwaukee yesterday, that the Packers are not pleased with Bennett’s retirement talk and are giving him time away to “go figure it out … what you want to do.”

From 5:00 minute mark on.

http://www.1057fmthefan.com/media/audio-channel/packers-lions-what-are-you-confident-concerned-and-curious-about

I may be one of the few, but I was tickled pink when I heard him say he might retire. He has been a flop here since day 1. He was one of the few players that sat during the national anthem during his time here. His brother is a liar and another kneeler, so it's in the family. It's too bad Jarod Cook played hardball with us, he clearly was a better player for this team, and it's not even close. His famous playoff catch was made because he knew Aaron and Aaron knew him. I still ticked he didn't come back. This past week Jarod had over 100 yards at halftime, does Bennett even have 100 yards for the season?

Just now, cooters22 said:

I may be one of the few, but I was tickled pink when I heard him say he might retire. He has been a flop here since day 1. He was one of the few players that sat during the national anthem during his time here. His brother is a liar and another kneeler, so it's in the family. It's too bad Jarod Cook played hardball with us, he clearly was a better player for this team, and it's not even close. His famous playoff catch was made because he knew Aaron and Aaron knew him. I still ticked he didn't come back. This past week Jarod had over 100 yards at halftime, does Bennett even have 100 yards for the season?

I don't even disagree with you about being happy Bennett has decided to retire, but everything about this post makes me want to disagree with you.  Especially the fact that you couldn't spell Jared correctly, and you had two tries.  This kind of post is why we need a dislike button. 

Archived