SNF: Goat Bowl, Brady v Belichick, Most overhyped Week 4 game - ever?

Matts4313

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

You can win with “friendly” coaches too. Off the top of my head: Tony Dungy, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin (he’s tough and demands accountability, but he’s “player friendly”).

Jimmy Johnson was not a friendly coach. Troy hated his guts for 3 years until he finally committed to him. He treated everyone as an asset. He was a ball buster. Troy had to become the ball buster when Jimmy left because Switzer was a joke. None of those other guys have multiple rings as a head coach.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I like when Brady throws awesome bombs that are missed, dropped, and called back due to penalties and people pretend Mac Jones ‘played better’.

Mac had more efficient stats but Brady was better. It wasn’t really close.

Brady played better by virtue of the fact that he pushed the ball downfield with some success (though not nearly as much as he usually does).

But it's not like Mac was significantly worse. He performed well in a big game, despite having pressure in his face for most of it. I think that's the part people are kind of overlooking when evaluating him. His throws aren't flashy, but he's being pressured frequently. Only Carr, Cousins and Dak have faced more blitzes this season. Only Wentz and Allen have taken more hits, and both those guys have an average time to throw of 2.88 seconds, compared to Mac's 2.67.

Bottom line is that Mac is probably doing about as well as you'd expect out of a rookie in his specific situation. 

4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Jimmy Johnson was not a friendly coach. Troy hated his guts for 3 years until he finally committed to him. He treated everyone as an asset. He was a ball buster. Troy had to become the ball buster when Jimmy left because Switzer was a joke. None of those other guys have multiple rings as a head coach.

Jimmy seems friendly on Fox, but that’s totally different than being a friendly coach. Seems like he was a “my way or the highway” type of coach.

• Like 1

I have to be honest, I thought it was going to be a blow out and kind of was hoping for it too. But actually I thought NE looked in control for a lot of the time. 

Hats off, that squad is bottom 15 but played  the Bucs tough all the way.

wtf was BB doing with that DL? Interesting tactics 

I’m not shocked the game was close. Belichick has nullified every QB at one point or another from Manning, to Rodgers, to Mahomes, to Warner etc. He made his bones doing that going back to when he was a DC giving the Niner’s fits when Montana was there. 

Jones played well when the situation called for it. I wish they abandoned the run earlier. I know the pressure was in Jones face all night but it was a better option than wasting a down get stuffed at the line. The OL just hasn’t been consistent since Scar left. 

All in all crazy game and the atmosphere in the stadium was so surreal. I don’t think I’ve ever been part of a more conflicted crowd in my life. They went from massive cheers when Brady took the field and got his tribute, to deep boos when the game started, to giant cheers again when Brady broke the record, to boos again and it went back and forth until the end when the game was over and Brady was cheered off the stadium. You could tell Brady was emotional after the game on the field and later seeing his press conferences. 

Crazy hype. Glad I got to see Brady play one last time in Gillette. Game scored the second highest ever viewership for the Sunday Night football on NBC. The only game that beat it was a week 17 game between two big markets the Cowboys and Redskins, which do well regardless in ratings consistently, in what was effectively a playoff game and was the last regular season game. Insane the second biggest was a week 4 game 

8 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Why are teams blitzing you so much? Is it a Mac thing where DCs have identified something or is it just because he’s a rookie?

imho the WRs don't scare anyone and the oline has been suspect this year, the Pats are not punishing teams for being overly aggressive. In general Mac is doing fairly well against the blitz though, but they still can't score.