Underrated Music Artists/Bands

AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Wearing a Nirvana shirt is definitely a fashion thing. It contributes to my take that the memory/idea of Nirvana has achieved greater acclaim than the Nirvana that existed.

On a side note, I’ve seen a couple of younger black people wear Skynyrd shirts. And I’ve see a lot of people wear Beatles shirts who probably never really listened to them. 

That’s why I brought it up.

12 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

And I’ve see a lot of people wear Beatles shirts who probably never really listened to them. 

The Beatles sold over 2 million albums in 2020.  They have made a big comeback with kids 10-18 in recent years.  My 14 year old twins could rattle off names to at least half a dozen Beatles songs if they heard them and they don't even listen to them, they are just that engrained in pop culture.

40 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The Beatles sold over 2 million albums in 2020.  They have made a big comeback with kids 10-18 in recent years.  My 14 year old twins could rattle off names to at least half a dozen Beatles songs if they heard them and they don't even listen to them, they are just that engrained in pop culture.

I began listening to them in elementary/middle school in the 90’s. I think they’ve always been big with different age groups.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

"Comeback"?

Were they ever out of vogue with any age group? Serious question.

The ones that come to mind for me immediately are some that are already legends and well known, but I think still don't get enough credit.  Chuck Berry (I will die on the hill that if any one person invented rock, it's Berry, and it's not close), Jethro Tull (see my avatar), Van Morrison, etc.

But if I had to settle for more obscure, then a few come to mind:

Billy Woods: In my extremely subjective opinion, he's the best rapper alive right now.  No one sounds like him.

Open Mike Eagle: I will never get how he didn't hit it big in the mid 2010's.

Kool Keith: Should be considered one of the GOAT, and probably influenced like every weird rapper that ever came after him.

Mdou Moctar: Algerian guitar player who is crazy good.  Middle East meets Hendrix.

Billy Strings: Bluegrass guitarist who's gotten a lot of hype lately, deserves all of it.  Maybe the most skilled guitar player I've ever seen, and I've seen Clapton and King in concert.

Young Fathers: A sort of hip hop group from Scotland.  Won some major awards, but never got much press.  Really unique sound.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:18 PM, Tetsujin said:

I think if it wasn’t for Nirvana’s Nevermind, and Cobain’s suicide, The Smashing Pumpkins would’ve became the iconic alt. rock group of the 90’s. They were a lot better musically than Nirvana, IMO.

Alice in Chains is better than both of them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

Oh, ok. I’ll change my opinion accordingly.

Honestly, you're right about one key thing - Nirvana gets too much credit for supposedly reinventing or revitalizing rock or whatever the ****. They were just the most famous in a long succession of post-punk and post-hardcore bands that toiled in the underground throughout the 80s. Kurt was aware of this. That's why he was always so uncomfortable being in the limelight. 

23 hours ago, Daniel said:

Billy Woods: In my extremely subjective opinion, he's the best rapper alive right now.  No one sounds like him.

agree 100%. you might **** with 2015-current version of lil ugly mane if you haven't peeped his stuff. he actually just shocked the tf outta me and dropped a great non-rap album last night. but imo he's billy woods closest contemporary in terms of delivery. his non-rap album he dropped like 12 hours outta nowhere is beautiful tho too

https://liluglymane.bandcamp.com/album/volcanic-bird-enemy-and-the-voiced-concern

think mach-hommy is kinda in the same realm as billy too. billy delivery's is way more exciting but hommy has similar lyricism.

nickelus f is great too. he's got the longest catalog of **** i like of anyone.

and MIKE. even tho his more recent stuff has been less good imo. 

those are probably my favorite 5 

• Like 1