Week 04 2021 - GDT - Giants (0-3) @ Saints (2-1) in NEW ORLEANS!!!

Just now, Fray32 said:

Giants played a great game. No one on the defensive line was winning any battles down the stretch.

It happens. The Giants weren't a bad team, just never executed at the end of games, else they could've been 2-1 as well.  Saints either blew teams out or lost horribly.  Giants overcame their close game issues and won, Saints lost.

We'll win next week.

• Like 2
Just now, Raves said:

It happens. The Giants weren't a bad team, just never executed at the end of games, else they could've been 2-1 as well.  Saints either blew teams out or lost horribly.  Giants overcame their close game issues and won, Saints lost.

We'll win next week.

I like your confidence.

Poor defensive plays all day today. Missed tackles, blown coverages, and not much pressure on the QB by the defense. That said, we still should have won this game.

Payton needs to stop getting cute with his playcalls with Taysom Hill. Hill has shown he is terrible throwing deep for several years...Yet Payton let's him throw one for an interception today when Winston was finally getting into a groove carving up the Giants defense. Just awful coaching there.

Your running game was effective and Jameis played solid. Our defense was pretty worn down by the end; Jones just found ways to keep us afloat, despite the playcalling.

Best of luck going forward.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fray32 said:

Giants played a great game. No one on the defensive line was winning any battles down the stretch.

Did we even get a sack today? I could go on by asking if we even got a knockdown.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Poor defensive plays all day today. Missed tackles, blown coverages, and not much pressure on the QB by the defense. That said, we still should have won this game.

Payton needs to stop getting cute with his playcalls with Taysom Hill. Hill has shown he is terrible throwing deep for several years...Yet Payton let's him throw one for an interception today when Winston was finally getting into a groove carving up the Giants defense. Just awful coaching there.

Maligned as he is for being a meme and a gimmick, there is absolutely no question that Hill makes this offense better. I have zero problems with his usage and hope they continue to use him as a passer. That particular throw was not great but let's be real it could just as easily fallen incomplete -- great contested catch by James Bradberry. Not at all the worst throw I've seen from a Saints qb this season 👀

And for the record, I do not believe Hill should be the starter in case that's what it sounds like. He can't be the guy, but the offense straight up produces in short spurts when he checks in.

1 minute ago, Fray32 said:

Maligned as he is for being a meme and a gimmick, there is absolutely no question that Hill makes this offense better. I have zero problems with his usage and hope they continue to use him as a passer. That particular throw was not great but let's be real it could just as easily fallen incomplete -- great contested catch by James Bradberry. Not at all the worst throw I've seen from a Saints qb this season 👀

Sure I like using him on offense, but having him throw deep just isn't it. This isn't an isolated incident, his deep attempts are almost always way underthrown. Winston has displayed an excellent deep ball for us so far this season when given the chance. Literally the play before the Hill interception, Winston dropped in a dime to Kenny Stills for a deep touchdown that was nullified by a holding penalty.

I'd even argue Hill's deep throw could easily be considered the worst throw by a Saints QB this season. He faced no pressure when throwing. He had a ton of time to let the play develop. He had Harris wide open if he puts it in front of him. Instead he underthrows him. Gives up an easy interception for the DB to make a play on, and that play likely had a significant role in the outcome of the game. If he either puts in a better pass that isn't an easy underthrown interception, or simply decides to not take the risk and run it there, we may see a different result from the game today. 

1 minute ago, Fray32 said:

And for the record, I do not believe Hill should be the starter in case that's what it sounds like. He can't be the guy, but the offense straight up produces in short spurts when he checks in.

Yes he is a good power back when he checks in. He can even do some solid work catching the ball for us, but as a passer he just leaves so much to be desired. Winston showed a ton of promise today as it seemed Payton let Winston open things up a bit more. I can't wait to see how he does once we get our OL healthy and Michael Thomas back on the field. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

It was not a great contested catch by Bradberry, it was an expected contested catch by Bradberry.  This wasn't battling against Thomas or some other highly drafted WR, this was against an UDFA that Hill drastically underthrew to even give him a chance to intercept it.  If it was a good throw then Bradberry's best play would've been just to break it up, not have a great chance at intercepting it.

Yea, Taysom's deep balls are terrible, even the ones he completes.  No lie, his deep balls are so bad, I'd literally rather have old man Brees attempting a 45 yarder.  Taysom is great in all the other ways he is used, and has a  good intermediate bullet pass, but his deep ball is straight garbage.  Almost worse than his short ball.

The call by Payton was fine in the sense a good throw there could have been a completion.  On the other hand, the call was terrible because it required Taysom to throw a deep ball.

The Saints biggest issue right now is the painfully obvious lack of trust Payton has in Jameis. He played the end of that game to not let Jameis throw the game away, which in the end cost us the game. Payton needs to get over it, Jameis is our QB. RIDE WITH HIM. If he throws picks, he throws picks. He was playing some great ball though and you took the ball out of his hands.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

The Saints biggest issue right now is the painfully obvious lack of trust Payton has in Jameis. He played the end of that game to not let Jameis throw the game away, which in the end cost us the game. Payton needs to get over it, Jameis is our QB. RIDE WITH HIM. If he throws picks, he throws picks. He was playing some great ball though and you took the ball out of his hands.

Yup! Winston was 74% passing on the day, which is great! In fact, it may be his best game he's played.
He's 64% on the season, which isn't great, but he's improving rather than imploding.

He's also 8-2 on TD - INT ratio which is the best in his career.

I kinda get why Payton is still holding him back a bit, you don't want him to get cocky, but he played a really great game Sunday. You gotta let him roll with the 2 minute and play to win rather than playing not to lose, which never works for our Saints. Never! Our defense can't do it, they never do.

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yup! Winston was 74% passing on the day, which is great! In fact, it may be his best game he's played.
He's 64% on the season, which isn't great, but he's improving rather than imploding.

He's also 8-2 on TD - INT ratio which is the best in his career.

I kinda get why Payton is still holding him back a bit, you don't want him to get cocky, but he played a really great game Sunday. You gotta let him roll with the 2 minute and play to win rather than playing not to lose, which never works for our Saints. Never! Our defense can't do it, they never do.

100%. Jameis looked fantastic, you have to let him roll. You killed the momentum with the Taysom INT and then you almost punished Jameis for it and took the ball out of his hands. We are living and dying with Jameis this year. Let’s get an accurate view of what he is! You won’t know if you have your franchise QB if you baby him all year. Is he the same Jameis or has he actually improved? 

I also was a bit frustrated taking the ball out of Winston's hands after the Hill interception. I was encouraged to see Winston open things up more and hopefully it continues to trend that way especially with Thomas (and even Smith I suppose) coming back soon to give our WR group a much needed talent boost.

Even more frustrating for me was giving Kamara zero targets in the pass game. Not even a screen or anything other than a backwards pass on the first possession which was essentially a HB toss play (that went for a good chunk of yards). Having a guy like Kamara and not utilizing his versatile skillset is wastes so much of his ability for us. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I also was a bit frustrated taking the ball out of Winston's hands after the Hill interception. I was encouraged to see Winston open things up more and hopefully it continues to trend that way especially with Thomas (and even Smith I suppose) coming back soon to give our WR group a much needed talent boost.

Even more frustrating for me was giving Kamara zero targets in the pass game. Not even a screen or anything other than a backwards pass on the first possession which was essentially a HB toss play (that went for a good chunk of yards). Having a guy like Kamara and not utilizing his versatile skillset is wastes so much of his ability for us. 

We need to go back to Kamara getting 10-12 carries and being far more involved in the passing game 

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

We need to go back to Kamara getting 10-12 carries and being far more involved in the passing game 

When Kamara moves in open space, it reminds me a lot of Pierre Thomas, virtually untouchable! So many yards happened so quickly. But sunday, they kept in between the tackles. I understand Jones got hurt (or something), but throw Taysom Hill between the tackles, he was clearly doing a great job, and get Kamara out in space.

That said, he still rushed for over a hundred yards, which is impressive, no doubt.