Week 4 GDT - Bears vs Lions

Sugashane

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Phil on TNLN is pounding table for Daniels to move to center.   I think Daniels should have been center from jump, but not sure if he will be able to adapt if moved back there now.  Last time Bears did that Daniels did poorly. 

Well, the time has come to decide.  Even having added muscle bulk Mustipher is still not the guy.

Daniels is due an extension so they should figure out longer term how they plan to use him.  He would be less costly as an OC but since he's played more OG it's more likely the averages for that spot will dictate the negotiations. 

I dunno that I'd make that move now as opposed to in the offseason but I believe that if he knows he's gonna play OC and we leave him there he can handle it now that he's also added some muscle bulk.  He's playing at 325-330lbs now.

Two more options are Bars and Eiselen.

Even though Ifedi has improved his inconsistencies as a pass blocker keep saying move him to OG or don't re-sign him at all if we're certain that Jenkins will be able to play in 2022.  He's gonna get a shot at either RT or LT and I believe Borom will as well leaving Ifedi as odd man out.

34 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well, the time has come to decide.  Even having added muscle bulk Mustipher is still not the guy.

Daniels is due an extension so they should figure out longer term how they plan to use him.  He would be less costly as an OC but since he's played more OG it's more likely the averages for that spot will dictate the negotiations. 

I dunno that I'd make that move now as opposed to in the offseason but I believe that if he knows he's gonna play OC and we leave him there he can handle it now that he's also added some muscle bulk.  He's playing at 325-330lbs now.

Two more options are Bars and Eiselen.

Even though Ifedi has improved his inconsistencies as a pass blocker keep saying move him to OG or don't re-sign him at all if we're certain that Jenkins will be able to play in 2022.  He's gonna get a shot at either RT or LT and I believe Borom will as well leaving Ifedi as odd man out.

Mustipher is bad and causing problems.  

Bears need to figure out how to get best 5 on field.  Should have been done in offseason and camp.

You need to do all out drills early in camp and figure out who your best are.   

This just picking guys to play who you think are best and hoping they do well in games is a stupid, asinine system. 

Win your job through live drills and use pre-season football, especially if a guy doesn't have a history of success.  Best player plays.

Show you are the best.  It isn't that complicated.  Laymen can see who is winning a live rep.  

No one can tell me if every DL dominates Mustipher in games that wouldn't happen in Bears practice too. 

So either they aren't doing live work OR they don't know what they are looking at OR they are playing politics with positions.

• Like 2

I would keep Daniels at guard in all honesty...he was a killer at Iowa in that zone blocking scheme...that is what he does best...Whitehair is the same...college OT who moved inside because of a lack of length but he is also all about movement skills...it's easy to see on film...we run outside zone the OL looks really good...we run power the OL looks really bad...run more zone!!! Lean into the factor one of Lazor's first jobs in the NFL came under Mike Holgrem...bring as much WCO as we can...and in the off season get a proper centre...Liderbaum & probably even Stromberg will be out our reach but a guy like Alec Lindstrom or Dohnovan West would make a ton of sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Phil on TNLN is pounding table for Daniels to move to center.   I think Daniels should have been center from jump, but not sure if he will be able to adapt if moved back there now.  Last time Bears did that Daniels did poorly. 

My concern just remains that he might not be strong enough to handle big NTs, but thinking on it this might be the best spot for that. He can still get assistance from either uncovered OG and he has the athleticism to pull either way. Linder is an example of how much that opens up blocking schemes. Whitehair can pull from OG but as a C I am not sure he can make it to the EDGE consistently there, and Mustipher is slower than either of them so he is really limited in pulling. At OG he would be able to at least pull to his own side or to get a DT on the weak side I think.

Reps are huge. I don't want them to do what they did to Kyle Long and work them at only one spot then drop them somewhere completely different. I know Long played RT at Oregon and Daniels has a lot of experience at C but they need reps to be comfortable when they jump back there.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would keep Daniels at guard in all honesty...he was a killer at Iowa in that zone blocking scheme...that is what he does best

But Daniels was an OC at Iowa and he was drafted to play OC.   When he struggled there we moved him to OG but he was also playing at around 305lbs then not 325lbs like he is now.

24 minutes ago, soulman said:

But Daniels was an OC at Iowa and he was drafted to play OC.   When he struggled there we moved him to OG but he was also playing at around 305lbs then not 325lbs like he is now.

Agreed.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

Dude was lucky Daniels couldn't catch him clean. I jumped a guard early in camp my freshman year when they switched me to safety. Second time I tried it (maybe two weeks later) dude caught me and basically powerbombed me when he slammed me down. Concussed the hell out of me and I felt like I had brainfreezes off and on through the season.

Cool to see this kind of thing from the safety of my couch though. lol

• Like 2

I was fine with the OL heading into the season before Jenkins and Borom went down with injuries, but after that it got pretty ugly. We had sign a 40 year old to play LT and move Ifedi to RT.  I've been saying all along that we have good depth on the interior line but lack depth at tackle (as most teams do). 

I was okay with Jenkins-Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair-Ifedi/Borom

But now after the injuries and Mustipher struggling, if it were me I would move Whitehair back to center, keep Daniels at LG, move Ifedi back to RG (where he played his best last year), and trust Castillo to bring up someone from a PS squad to RT like he did last year with Mustipher. Even he wanted to keep Ifedi at RT and start Bars at RG for a few games to get the new guy acclimated in practice, I would be fine with that.

This would keep Bars and Mustipher on the roster as solid interior depth players. And so is Albright IMO (even tho he wasn't had a chance this year he showed it last season) while also taking away the weakest link in the OL right now which is Mustipher and replacing him with Whitehair who had the best season of career in 2018 at Center.

This would atleast provide more depth on the OL while also helping to mitigate the damages that Fields is taking in the backfield.

Our OL is not great but one thing I like about our players on the OL is that they're versatile. Whitehair can play any interior spot. Daniels can play Center and LG. Ifedi can play RT and RG. Bars can play anywhere.

My biggest concern here (with my own approach) is that I feel our run game would take a big hit and move backwards, while it's going forward and is ultimately the driving force of our offense. We are currently 9th in the league in avg yards per game and T-6th in the league in rush TDs and I'm a strong believer in "don't fix what isn't broken". So while I do think this would bolster the pass pro, I also think it would hurt the run game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soulman said:

I know Daniels played centre at Iowa but I think in the pros much like Whitehair snapping the ball and setting was where he struggled...the move to guard allowed him to set far quicker...for me I just think moving around these guys again is just asking for more issues instead of keeping them at guard and drafting a capable centre.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I know Daniels played centre at Iowa but I think in the pros much like Whitehair snapping the ball and setting was where he struggled...the move to guard allowed him to set far quicker...for me I just think moving around these guys again is just asking for more issues instead of keeping them at guard and drafting a capable centre.

If that's what it takes sure but it won't help us now.

But I also believe that either Daniels or Whitehair can handle OC just fine playing in a zone scheme.  In fact Daniels athleticism is nearly ideal for it.  But for some reason we keep changing our run blocking schemes.  When he stick with zone blocking we look good.

Pass pro is another matter but it doesn't help when 5 OL are tasked with blocking 6 or 7 rushers and we don't use TE or RB to chip or pick up a blitz.  Until they can get that settled Fields should probably be kept under OC far more than playing in shotgun.

Overall there's been too much shifting around that's been done.  It's nice to have OL with that kind of versatility but no one settles into one spot for long.  If Castillo is convinced that Whitehair and Daniels are his OGs then by all means draft a true OC.....again.

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Dude was lucky Daniels couldn't catch him clean. I jumped a guard early in camp my freshman year when they switched me to safety. Second time I tried it (maybe two weeks later) dude caught me and basically powerbombed me when he slammed me down. Concussed the hell out of me and I felt like I had brainfreezes off and on through the season.

Cool to see this kind of thing from the safety of my couch though. lol

They put your big *** at safety? LOL