New Kicker needed

Just now, offbyone said:

It is a crime they didn't even bring in competition during camp.  Cause you are dead on, it is tough to find a kicker in October.  

Add it to the "maybe the coach shouldn't also be the GM" file.

• Like 2

I’m something of a Hopkins apologist, as you all know. At least in the sense that I will continue to reiterate that a below-average full-time NFL kicker is still better than most/all of the guys languishing out on the street looking for a job. 

The big thing I don’t understand is why they  didn’t have a kicker in camp and don’t have a kicker on the PS. What’s the harm with this? Bring in as much talent to test out as possible. No one could reasonably look at Hopkins the way you might look at a guy like Tress Way — where it’s absolutely pointless to bring in street FAs because there’s no chance they beat out the incumbent. There are plenty of kickers in the world better than Dustin Hopkins, and as much I suspect that the vast majority of those guys are already gainfully employed elsewhere, there’s always a chance you might latch onto one who has thus far slipped through the cracks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m something of a Hopkins apologist, as you all know. At least in the sense that I will continue to reiterate that a below-average full-time NFL kicker is still better than most/all of the guys languishing out on the street looking for a job. 

The big thing I don’t understand is why they  didn’t have a kicker in camp and don’t have a kicker on the PS. What’s the harm with this? Bring in as much talent to test out as possible. No one could reasonably look at Hopkins the way you might look at a guy like Tress Way — where it’s absolutely pointless to bring in street FAs because there’s no chance they beat out the incumbent. There are plenty of kickers in the world better than Dustin Hopkins, and as much I suspect that the vast majority of those guys are already gainfully employed elsewhere, there’s always a chance you might latch onto one who has thus far slipped through the cracks. 

Yup. I'm of two minds. One is that I like to see guys play through slumps. Like pitching in baseball. Or hitting in baseball for that matter. But the other mind tells me that at some point, you gotta "cut bait" and treat the FG kicker as if you would any other position. The problem is that if you wanted to "bench" a kicker, you can't. You gotta cut them to see who else is out there. When there are limited roster spots for players (P, K, QB) I'd like to see, at some point, a variation of what I offered before in the way of locked roster spots for an "extra" player at that position. These would be extra spots that the team could carry that could not be raided like the PS. But would practice and develop with the team. 

22 hours ago, offbyone said:

To me it isn't even that.  It is just bad player evaluation.  Like at what point do you recognize collins isn't your best option.  

Because you see him day in and day out putting in the work in front of you. He's doing everything you ask of him in practice. You're close with him.

And that's the problem: Bill Belichick being a notable exception, coaches cannot separate the player as a person from the player in terms of plus and minuses to the team.

It's why some of railed against giving Rivera final roster control. Sometimes you need someone to be the "bad guy" and it's a lot easier if it is someone in the "front office" instead of the guy who you've been busting your tail in front of for months.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

When there are limited roster spots for players (P, K, QB) I'd like to see, at some point, a variation of what I offered before in the way of locked roster spots for an "extra" player at that position. These would be extra spots that the team could carry that could not be raided like the PS. But would practice and develop with the team. 

Until that time, though, you have to put someone on the practice squad to push the guy on the active roster. The fact they don't have anyone, especially in the era of COVID restrictions, is borderline irresponsible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Sometimes you need someone to be the "bad guy" and it's a lot easier if it is someone in the "front office" instead of the guy who you've been busting your tail in front of for months.

If anyone has seen the movie "Moneyball" there's a great scene where Brad Pitt is trying to teach Jonah Hill how to tell someone they've been let go, traded, moved down to minors, etc... 

The first few moments of this are what we're not getting with the Coach-as-GM dynamic we have now.