Post Game Thoughts. Browns.

cconocool

3 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I just think Zim has reached his peak and to me its pretty obvious Weve had a lot of talented rosters and the farthest weve gotten is the NFCCG (which is no slouch to get to and should be pretty proud of) but the only reason why we got there is because of a play that was dubbed a "miracle" I want something fresh and an offensive minded HC who can scheme to our strengths and can create a weekly scheme that can attack a defense weakness Weve done that this year ie the Seahawk game but It clearly didnt really work out this week

I dont have any stats or profound statements to debate why I want a new HC I can however notice mediocrity/ purgatory and thats what this team is with ZIm imo maybe even include Spielman too

Purgatory isn’t a bad problem to have if you’re the Wilf’s. The Vikes are talented, even very good some years, but the end game is revenue and the Zimmer led Vikes are selling out and they keep things interesting every year. Spielman isn’t going anywhere until he announces his own retirement and I’m thinking that may end up being the case for Zimmer, unless he becomes disinterested and there’s a mutual parting. 

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

What’s with Cook, Mattison and Kendricks? Figured that Hill, Cleveland and Vigil are all terrible.

Mattison and Cook, but especially Mattison missed so many chip blocks that it was ridiculous. Kendricks I think was missed tackles. 

Hill is irredeemable. He’s such a mess fundamentally, and it’s leading to poor play from Cleveland. The positive around Ezra is that he isn’t getting beat physically, or at least rarely. When he gets beat it’s been because he was late recognizing something, which is entirely understandable for a guy in his 4th game at the position. 

Luke Braun on Twitter did an excellent breakdown of the o-line yesterday. And one common thing from Ezra seemed to be that he was so worried about Hill that he’d be giving Hill help and be late to switching or recognizing a stunt. 

PFF grades are always interesting after the film breakdowns come out. Those grades definitely need to be taken with a grain of salt, imo, especially around OL and CB play. But I don’t know how you can possibly give Hill a better grade than Cleveland after what I watched. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

First step is firing the GM.  Next step is gathering a pool of candidates. I would use a consulting firm to help with that process. How I would interview them would depend on their current employment situation; I might have to travel to meet them in their city. I would keep the interviews under the radar as much as possible. 

Guys that are currently employed by NFL teams I would be limited in gauging their interest via informal discussions.

"Guys that are currently employed by NFL teams" would be 99.9999975% of GM candidates, right? You can't talk to them yet so why create the havoc of firing your GM mid-season?

If it is just in the spirit of anger toward Spielman then the Wilfs have to take a step back from that anger and run the business like a professional organization and wait until the season ends.

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Purgatory isn’t a bad problem to have if you’re the Wilf’s. The Vikes are talented, even very good some years, but the end game is revenue and the Zimmer led Vikes are selling out and they keep things interesting every year. Spielman isn’t going anywhere until he announces his own retirement and I’m thinking that may end up being the case for Zimmer, unless he becomes disinterested and there’s a mutual parting. 

As a fan its a problem but if youre an owner who only cares about making money than yes that statement is correct ie the Twins organization

And I completely agree with that statement as well that the Vikings have a lot of talent on this roster I just personally think we need something fresh to get even more out of that talent and bring it to the next level. The talent we have on offense we can easily put up points with the the big boys in this league

I also dont get how Zim is known as a DB guru and has yet to coach up an elite or even high end DB besides Rhodes, something just doesnt add up to me there

4 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I also dont get how Zim is known as a DB guru and has yet to coach up an elite or even high end DB besides Rhodes, something just doesnt add up to me there

I don't think Harrison Smith becomes elite without Zim. Anthony Harris was a UDFA and performed like a top flight safety for multiple years under Zim. Terrance Newman had a career resurrection here. Injuries to Mike Hughes and Jeff Gladney's legal trouble have nothing to do with Zimmer. This is a tired narrative.

2 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

"Guys that are currently employed by NFL teams" would be 99.9999975% of GM candidates, right? You can't talk to them yet so why create the havoc of firing your GM mid-season?

If it is just in the spirit of anger toward Spielman then the Wilfs have to take a step back from that anger and run the business like a professional organization and wait until the season ends.

I do not believe that 99.9999999975% of GM candidates are currently employed in the NFL.

People in the league talk to each other frequently. There will be opportunities to talk to guys informally and/or indirectly. 

The GM has already done almost all of his job for the year. The team would be fine without him. Firing the guy creates the opening for all to see. This is how you find out the pool of candidates and get going.  It would be ideal to have the new GM in place when the next offseason begins. Waiting to make the move puts the team in a worse situation for the future.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I do not believe that 99.9999999975% of GM candidates are currently employed in the NFL.

People in the league talk to each other frequently. There will be opportunities to talk to guys informally and/or indirectly. 

The GM has already done almost all of his job for the year. The team would be fine without him. Firing the guy creates the opening for all to see. This is how you find out the pool of candidates and get going.  It would be ideal to have the new GM in place when the next offseason begins. Waiting to make the move puts the team in a worse situation for the future.

I agree, if the season is a lost cause it makes more sense to fire the GM during the year since that work is mostly done. I’m fine riding out the year with the head coach, but i think the GM has to go first, the coach surely knows he’s a lame duck at that point. If the intention is to clean house, and we need more season to make that assessment, seems more logical to start making arrangements with the front office very early so they have time to put together a plan with the head coach search and front office staff before the offseason begins.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Jayron Kearse, Kyle Rudolph, Stefon Diggs, and the list goes on. 

Add to that the TE that went to the Giants, Rhett Ellison. He companied about toxic leadership with the Vikings indirectly through his father. But you know his father got that idea by talking with his boy.

You know that for every incident that makes it to the public realm, there are probably 10 that do not. It generally isn't good for the careers of the players so most will wisely bite their tongues.  Generally, it has to be pretty bad before a player will say something.

Edited by Cearbhall