Post Game Thoughts. Browns.

cconocool

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They aren’t good at playing chess. Zimmer and his coaching staff don’t do a well enough job game planning for their specific opponent. This game against the Browns was a prime example. 

They had an opposing coach who not only had an intimate knowledge of the Vikings’ players, knowing their strengths and their weaknesses, but he also had a deep knowledge of the offense. And what did the Vikings do to counter that knowledge? Nothing. They ran the same offense that they always have. No new wrinkles, no new formations, nothing to challenge Stefanski and his defense. 

Finally haha

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

What specific coaching decisions this season are worthy of dismissal?

Just wondering how much of the following is attributed to Zimmer or his influence. 

1) fighting to retain barr

2) not retaining Reilly Reiff

3) prioritizing two DL/NT over OL in free agency

4) going with a rookie OL as basically your singular OL improvement hope

5) Bradbury selection/play

6) Bringing in Peterson at a high cost over OL (or other offense FA)

7) Going with Breeland over Danzler

8 ) trading a 2nd last year for a DE for 7-8 games (panic move)

9) looks like he is not involved in offensive game planning

10) Word is that he doesnt have much conversations with Cousins

11) Clock management, TO management and challenges win % … has always been very bad 

12) keeping / having Kubiack as the offensive coordinator

Basically the only thing that management has done correctly this off-season, is keep Hunter happy (via decent extension) and retain Everson cheaply. Everything else looks to be a mistake/oversight

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Before this week klint had the #3 rated offense in the nfl 

Through 4 games we are #16 in points per game. 

Remember last years stats that everyone, Vikings have the 5th best offense in the league. The stat was 5th most yards (not points), and we are #15 right now

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Through 4 games we are #16 in points per game. 

Remember last years stats that everyone, Vikings have the 5th best offense in the league. The stat was 5th most yards (not points), and we are #15 right now

And after 3 weeks they were 8th. They had one bad game offensively. 

30 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Just wondering how much of the following is attributed to Zimmer or his influence. 

11) Clock management, TO management and challenges win % … has always been very bad 

Basically the only thing that management has done correctly this off-season, is keep Hunter happy (via decent extension) and retain Everson cheaply. Everything else looks to be a mistake/oversight

I mean, half of this has nothing to do with coaching and is about personnel/offseason stuff, and outside of #7 and #11, the coaching stuff is just factually incorrect.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I mean, half of this has nothing to do with coaching and is about personnel/offseason stuff, and outside of #7 and #11, the coaching stuff is just factually incorrect.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

It’s a fallacy to think the coach has not influenced off-season personnel moves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

So maybe check the stats when you remove the two best games, so the cherry picking stats continue. 

It’s not cherry picking to say that the offense was performing very well through the first three games and one bad game has skewed the average. 

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Ok? What is your point?

JD you are my least favourite poster on this forum. All you do is ask "your point?" Or "give a valid argument"

But you never give an argument in your favour. Get off the forum if you're not going to put your opinion out there you are so boring 😴 

The coaches influenced our off-season moves and that's why we're a bad team.

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

On top of these Zimmer has been seriously lacking leadership towards the end of his tenue. He's called out Kirk in a post game press conferences and in the post game of the browns he was totally unbothered that we just got run over.

"I've never had a bad Defense" <- this quote is still in Zimmers head, the guy is in denial. If you can't identify strengths and weaknesses you have no hope at being a HC.

• Like 2

I have read all the arguments here. After thinking it over, I have to agree with the people that are calling for a change in leadership. I believe that change ought to start at the GM level. Some that have a problem with some people having the opinion that the team needs a change in leadership seem to be blindly defending the Vikings leadership. They (the people with a problem some others' opinions) are presenting no evidence to support their position that the leadership shouldn't be changed. They (the people with a problem some others' opinions) are very bad at debating. 

I don't agree that the coaching is complete dreck, but I also think that the philosophy of the organization is wrong. It is going to take a new GM to change that.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

@viking - Since it doesn't seem like the moderators @gopherwrestler/ @Heimdallr are going to stop you from following me around the forum, name calling, harassing me via PMs, and generally acting childish, I'll say this - there is an ignore feature if you don't like me. You never have to read another one of my posts.

As far as debating this point, I don't think that anything Mike Zimmer has or hasn't done THIS SEASON has risen to the level of a fireable offense. There are several acute reasons that the vikings are 1-3 as opposed to 3-1 or 2-2 that have nothing to do with bad coaching.  I've said as much in multiple threads.

In a debate, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. I'm not the one saying he should be fired. I don't think that any of the reasons presented so far have been convincing.

@Cearbhall if you're going to claim that someone is bad at debating, A: say it, and B: see the statement above about burden of proof.