Week 5: Packers WIN @ Improved Bengals; Improve to 4-1

FAH1223

49 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

HaHa !
I was referring to flight attendant service time, not drinking time. On a 65 minute flight, you might get 3 visits in the 30 minute drinking window

65 minutes is enough time to drink a 12 pack if you have your own cooler handy

I was reading a tweet this morning, I dont recall who sent it.

Curley Lambeau to Johnny Blood McNally:  "I'll give you $100 per game, and $110 if you don't drink the night before"

Johnny Blood McNally:  "I'll take the $100"

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Les Punting said:

What does a player have to do to get benched around here?  

Royce Newman might have the teams least impressive tape thus far, maybe the least impressive tape of any IOL. Despite general competence, he's clearly not physical enough and is getting beat every which way because of it. The data are in. He needs a year.  

Patrick might have to play C this week, if not he should be playing RG. He shouldn't be riding the bench behind an obviously overmatched rookie, especially considering that it's likely only for a few weeks, until DB returns. Then Runyan likely flops to RG permanently with Jenkins back to LG.

Newman is heading to the bench sooner or later. I'd prefer he did his developing in the offseason, not on the field. He's hurting the offense while a proven player is wincing on the sideline. 

I don't think I'd ever see someone pounding the table for Lucas Patrick.  Interesting.

• Like 1

Patrick was sorely over-matched in the NFCCG last year so it should think that it's amusing that someone is wanting to replace one over-matched player for another.

Also, if Dennis Kelly is really a JAG, then why did we keep him on the roster when Jenkins, Runyan, Turner, and Braden could play RT. At this point, I'd rather go with Turner at RG and Kelly at RT if Kelly isn't the JAG some of us feel he is and Newman is really that bad...

Edited by Joe

Like so many games early in season, I feel like this is totally a tossup game.  I could imagine their offense sustaining a lot of long, time-consuming drives and our defense not being able to make 3rd-down stops with limited pressure and vulnerable corners in absence of Jaire.  So that there aren't a ton of possessions, and if we don't convert some of our 3rd downs against a solid defense, we could get beaten, perhaps decisively.  Could also imagine it being a game where our offense is able to get things done and score, and their imperfect offense gets stopped a couple of times and the Packers win.  

Who knows?  It's the NFL, it's a matchup league, and teams are always in flux anyway.  Not knowing, that's the fun of it.  

I think it's crucial and on the offense to win this game.  Offense needs to score on a lot of it's possessions, and score TDs, not just FG's.  Whatever the line alignment is, with or without Jenkins, whether he's at center or tackle, the offense needs to keep drives moving.  Rodgers is going to need to convert on some perhaps difficult throws.  Converting on a big play or two would certainly help; thus far we're already 3-1 but the deep ball has been predominantly inaccurate.  So a couple of bigger shots that succeed might make a big difference, too.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, craig said:

Like so many games early in season, I feel like this is totally a tossup game.  I could imagine their offense sustaining a lot of long, time-consuming drives and our defense not being able to make 3rd-down stops with limited pressure and vulnerable corners in absence of Jaire.  So that there aren't a ton of possessions, and if we don't convert some of our 3rd downs against a solid defense, we could get beaten, perhaps decisively.  Could also imagine it being a game where our offense is able to get things done and score, and their imperfect offense gets stopped a couple of times and the Packers win.  

Who knows?  It's the NFL, it's a matchup league, and teams are always in flux anyway.  Not knowing, that's the fun of it.  

I think it's crucial and on the offense to win this game.  Offense needs to score on a lot of it's possessions, and score TDs, not just FG's.  Whatever the line alignment is, with or without Jenkins, whether he's at center or tackle, the offense needs to keep drives moving.  Rodgers is going to need to convert on some perhaps difficult throws.  Converting on a big play or two would certainly help; thus far we're already 3-1 but the deep ball has been predominantly inaccurate.  So a couple of bigger shots that succeed might make a big difference, too.  

Agree with much of this.  This is a BIG game for Cincy.  Hopefully, Packer fans travel.  Just going through the motions won't get this one done.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

Interesting thoughts. I think the defense will do their part today, in my eyes the number one matchup/key for today is the Packers OL. I could see them struggle today and if that is the case the Packers will be in a battle to pull this one out. OL dominates, the Packers win. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:
Not surprised. Guy has now missed 3 games for an ankle injury that didn't require him to miss a single snap during the game he suffered it...smh.

A. Quick sideline analysis may not have nailed the seriousness.
B. Playing thru (and with) an injury is often not as hard as it would appear (depends on the injury certainly.....)
C. And playing on it may have exacerbated the injury.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

A. Quick sideline analysis may not have nailed the seriousness.
B. Playing thru (and with) an injury is often not as hard as it would appear (depends on the injury certainly.....)
C. And playing on it may have exacerbated the injury.

I think he's ready to play but the Packers are looking at the Bears next week and their pass rushers so they're giving Jenkins another week off. It's the way they've handled injuries all season (and frankly for years). 

• Like 1