How to fix this

deeluxx3

8 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I don’t really think it’ll happen. We reached the AFCCG and he’s done nothing to improve this team. 

I'll just say if we go down that road, we are looking at a major rebuild. Not trying to be like a downer or pessimistic about change.

It would just be a whole change when you look at the contracts and players.  
Tanny would likely be gone, a whole new offensive line. Defense would be overhauled and changed. Would Derrick still be here?

We are stuck until the bottom falls completely out. Like 1-16 bad. 

Until then it will be patchwork stuff, drafts hoping for someone to hit.

We need a surefire franchise changing QB to see crazy change. Got a HOF RB. Tanny is great. But we will need lighting in a bottle to be anything more than what we've seen. 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'll just say if we go down that road, we are looking at a major rebuild. Not trying to be like a downer or pessimistic about change.

It would just be a whole change when you look at the contracts and players.  
Tanny would likely be gone, a whole new offensive line. Defense would be overhauled and changed. Would Derrick still be here?

We are stuck until the bottom falls completely out. Like 1-16 bad. 

Until then it will be patchwork stuff, drafts hoping for someone to hit.

We need a surefire franchise changing QB to see crazy change. Got a HOF RB. Tanny is great. But we will need lighting in a bottle to be anything more than what we've seen. 

i think we are looking at a major rebuild at this point. we built a short window and we've blown it due to the decisions we made the past two offseasons. simple as that.

And I'm participating in this discussion simply for conversation sake. lol I don't think we need to fire Robinson. 

But you also have to think about the Ownership and decision maker group. What do they want the image of their team to be?  
"Tennessee Tough"

So fire Robinson, Vrabel and then go hire another guy that believes in running the football first and defense.  
I know it was fake interview process with Murlakey, but even the guys they were interviewing, none of them screamed new age offense.  

When Vrabel was interviewed, it was Matt LaFleur and Steve Wilks.  Steve Wilks is out the league I believe. 
Until we are forced a dragged into a new offense with a truly dynamic QB we are going to continue to look how we look. 

Nothing you can do with the defense at this point until Vrabel is either fired or gives up complete control and finds a DC this offseason. I don’t know everyone else’s opinion and I know people will hate this but it’s time to start rebuilding the OL. Still holding out hope for Lewan but I’m tired of his trash play on top all the dumb **** on Twitter. Both Saffold and Jones are getting up there in age and both are hurt damn near every game. Nate Davis is what he is. A good run blocker but is absolutely a liability in pass-pro. Quessenberry also is what he is. A career journeyman who shouldn’t be anything higher than a PS guy. It’s pathetic that he’s even starting despite this team drafting a 1st round RT and a 2nd round OT in the past 2 years. I’m holding out hope that Radunz goes nuts this offseason in the weight room and becomes our LT. I’m hoping the same with Brewer at center. Both Davis and Radunz should be the only players who are guaranteed roster spots next season on that OL but I’d damn sure be doing a better job getting depth in here to compete with Davis.

To seriously participate in this discussion, there are things that need to change.

Acting like firing everyone in a collective group that is 31-23 over the last three years (2-2 in playoffs) and made the playoffs two of three years is an obviously ridiculous take.  Like, no more needs to be said on that.  If you're in that group, have fun, not engaging you.

Drafting: Robinson's draft strategy is to look for players who will contribute in two years.  Rookies rarely make big impacts, so that is a fine approach to take generally, but I do think he needs to ease off of that, and focus a bit more on immediate needs.

Coaching: This is the one that's most drastic change that's needed.  The defense is what it is.  It's definitely better than it was last season, but that's not a huge surprise.  I do like some of what is going on with the front seven.  They're getting creative with some blitzes, especially with Landry, and doing a pretty good job dialing up pressure.  The thing that still needs to change is the DBs scheming.  It's been a problem for some time, it continues to be a problem, and I'll complain about it until something is done.  Most of the Jets' gains came from broken plays downfield, largely because of the scheme we run not being effective.  Take that single element away, and you have a much more limited performance by them.

That's about it, honestly.  The other big problem I see is injury.  And there's only so much you can do about that.  Our OL is in big trouble, with Lewan, Saffold, and Jones all having missed time with injury and are clearly affected when they are playing.  That's gonna make it hard to do much on offense in run or pass, but clearly pass protection is the bigger issue.

We've been saying how disastrous injuries could be to our receiving corps since it's really top heavy, and now we're in that situation.  What did you expect?  Not disaster?

Add to that that Hooker was lost immediately, and injuries to both Dupree and Weaver making our Edge group super thin again, and we aren't getting any favors on defense either.

I think things will be much, much better when we return a couple of the playmakers we're really missing.

I'm not saying Robinson is horrible, but acting like his seat shouldn't be hot when he's failed to draft a 1st round player he's wanted to resign is ridiculous.

I get that he drafts for the future, but last year yielded one contributor so far. This year's is going to be nothing at all for at least a year. For a team that's supposed to be in their window that's just terrible.

He's drafting for the future and then forces himself to reach for an OT that wouldn't have started last year even if it wasn't the worst pick ever.

The Isiah Wilson pick on it's own is enough to make your seat hot. Was a joke of a pick the second it was made. No one thought that guy could play football but the Titans.

Drafting long-term backups at RB and LB as high as the 3rd round is just moronic. Low value positions and there's not a roster spot for them to start for years without injury.

Edited by TitanSS

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I'm not saying Robinson is horrible, but acting like his seat shouldn't be hot when he's failed to draft a 1st round player he's wanted to resign is ridiculous.

I get that he drafts for the future, but last year yielded one contributor so far.

So out of Kristian Fulton, Chris Jackson, Larrell Murchison, Aaron Brewer, Nick Westbrook-Ikhine, and Teair Tart, only one of those is a contributor?

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So out of Kristian Fulton, Chris Jackson, Larrell Murchison, Aaron Brewer, Nick Westbrook-Ikhine, and Teair Tart, only one of those is a contributor?

Other than Fulton, literally all of those guys are replacement level players. Just because they play (too much) for us, doesn't mean they're valuable contributors.

We need difference makers. Not just JAG contributors. 

I know we got money tied up in other spots, but we took the field with pretty much an all undrafted receiving core.
Firsker, Hudson, Pruitt (5th round) Batson, NWI, Chester Rogers.

Reynolds was the highest drafted guy and he was 4th round. 

They played at a honorable level, but obviously not good enough to win us a game. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I know we got money tied up in other spots, but we took the field with pretty much an all undrafted receiving core.
Firsker, Hudson, Pruitt (5th round) Batson, NWI, Chester Rogers.

Reynolds was the highest drafted guy and he was 4th round. 

They played at a honorable level, but obviously not good enough to win us a game. 

On the same token, maybe that's why you don't hand a starting job to Anthony Firkser and look to actually replace Jonnu Smith with a real TE1

18 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Other than Fulton, literally all of those guys are replacement level players. Just because they play (too much) for us, doesn't mean they're valuable contributors.

We need difference makers. Not just JAG contributors. 

tart's a pretty solid nose tackle, and we haven't had one of those in ages. but agreed on the rest

12 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

On the same token, maybe that's why you don't hand a starting job to Anthony Firkser and look to actually replace Jonnu Smith with a real TE1

I know the plan didn't go as he thought, But I'd imagine he thought he'd have AJ, Jullio, Reynolds and Fitzpatrick (all drafted guys) to surround the one undrafted TE. 

But hey it is what it is. 

A failure right now. 

22 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

tart's a pretty solid nose tackle, and we haven't had one of those in ages. but agreed on the rest

He also was a UDFA who didn’t make the roster out of camp. Maybe I’m being unreasonable, but if feels pretty generous to give Robinson a ton of credit for him. 

I'm not trying to be nit-picky here and get into semantics, just trying to step back and truly evaluate this defense/roster

Let's say Tart is a "solid" nose tackle.

Then what does that make Harold Landry the OLB?

To me...Landry is a SOLID olb. Makes a couple plays here and there, is a small piece of a bigger puzzle. Not a game wrecker.

Tart is not nearly as good of a NT as Landry is an OLB. 

I do think we collectively overrate our talent, myself included. We all love David Long. How many teams does David Long really start on? How many teams does Tart really start on?

These are good players -- Long especially -- but who do we really have on our entire team where it's not like...yeah, I think we can reasonably upgrade at that position.

Guys we cannot reasonably upgrade over (meaning they're above-average starters): Tanny, Henry, AJ, Julio, Saffold, healthy Lewan, Simmons, Landry, Byard (I guess), Autry (perhaps). Jury out on Fulton.

I guess my point is...on paper there's some exciting players on offense. But defensively, we're a snoozefest and overall do lack talent IMO.