How to fix this

deeluxx3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

So out of Kristian Fulton, Chris Jackson, Larrell Murchison, Aaron Brewer, Nick Westbrook-Ikhine, and Teair Tart, only one of those is a contributor?

I guess I forgot the word quality.

Outside of Fulton the next best player you mentioned was an undrafted free agent run-stuffing NT. The rest are fringe roster guys.

• Like 1

you're all not wrong that we lack talent on defense, and that a lot of these guys are replaceable, but at the same time with the personnel we have there's simply no excuse not to be an average defense. that's where the coaching (or lack thereof) comes in- they're not elevating this group at all. the opposite, really. it's both/and.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

you're all not wrong that we lack talent on defense, and that a lot of these guys are replaceable, but at the same time with the personnel we have there's simply no excuse not to be an average defense. that's where the coaching (or lack thereof) comes in- they're not elevating this group at all. the opposite, really. it's both/and.

it's 100000% on the coaches

This should be nothing better/worse than a middle-of-the-pack defense. But they lack the three things any defense needs: discipline, organization and physicality.

• Like 1

Our overall defense wasn’t that great with Pees either but we were respectable as an overall defense. Hell, we probably had less talent at EDGE especially in his final season and he still somehow made it work. He knew what to do with the secondary unlike Vrabel. When we do blitz now, it isn’t fooling anyone. I think Coombs was a good DB coach too and then he leaves and we bring in another Houston bum to coach the secondary. The coaches on the staff are just flat out garbage IMO. All Vrabel’s buddies…. There’s talent on this defense. Talent to least be a middle of the road defense and not give up 27 points to the god awful Jets. A good DC probably has this defense top 16 at least. Our edge depth sucks even before the injuries but a good DC schemes up more than 1 sack against the fricken Jets. I bet if this was Schwartz defense, they’d be playing a hell of a lot better than what they are now. 

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Our overall defense wasn’t that great with Pees either but we were respectable as an overall defense. Hell, we probably had less talent at EDGE especially in his final season and he still somehow made it work. He knew what to do with the secondary unlike Vrabel. When we do blitz now, it isn’t fooling anyone. I think Coombs was a good DB coach too and then he leaves and we bring in another Houston bum to coach the secondary. The coaches on the staff are just flat out garbage IMO. All Vrabel’s buddies…. There’s talent on this defense. Talent to least be a middle of the road defense and not give up 27 points to the god awful Jets. A good DC probably has this defense top 16 at least. Our edge depth sucks even before the injuries but a good DC schemes up more than 1 sack against the fricken Jets. I bet if this was Schwartz defense, they’d be playing a hell of a lot better than what they are now. 

yeah, i'd say pees actually had us playing above our talent level given what we had in the front 7 at the time. dearly wish he was still here, we'd probably be flirting with a top 10-15 unit if so.

guys PLAYED for Pees

They loved Pees

I think guys respect Vrabel. They don't love Vrabel. They sure as hell don't love Bowen. Only Vrabel does.

It's a total cliche'...sure...but man, there's something about watching a totally in-sync defense that just ROCKS with the DC. Like that great Broncos/Wade Phillips from like 6 years ago, Salah's 49ers when they went to the SB. When it's just 100% the DC's group and he kicks a$$ with it.

While our D wasn't at that level of greatness, they loved playing for Pees like that

It's also a huge indictment on Vrabel as a whole that he came in as a defensive coach, and the defense is the worst unit on the team. Basically ran off Pees who actually had our defense playing at a respectable level so he could have more control and turned the unit into the worst in the league. Made no changes to the coaching staff, and we're better than last year, but being a little bit better than worst in the league shouldn't be the standard. Like others have said, we have enough talent on the defense to at least be a middle of the road unit. Harold Landry is a pro bowl caliber player on a defense with a better scheme. Byard went from being a Pro Bowl safety to basically invisible. Losing Coombs as our secondary coach was an absolute killer. The whole decline of the unit is 100% on Vrabel. and the way he has handled it.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

My opinion & I know I’m be killed for saying this, but Schwartz as a D coordinator was overrated, if you look at the stats, & just look em up, under Schwartz only thing we were good at were sacks, stopping the run, & turnovers. Our Achilles heel always was pass defense we were bend but don’t break & we played against quality passing teams we broke. Check the stats we would always be top 10 in sacks run defense somewhere in the middle in turnovers & pass defense always in the 20’s. 
Schwartz defense was Tampa 2 cover 2, with interior pressure from Albert Haynesworth Tony brown & Jason Jones, with our DE’s playing Jim Washburn wide 9 scheme threatening the edge with speed, that’s why we could plug so many DE’s in our system & they had success, kearse who was a 1 trick pony, vandenbosch, Babin, Travis laboy, Jacob Ford, Dave ball bunch of no name guys who all only had success playing within our scheme. Schwartz was good with talent you surround him, my honest opinion our best DC was Gregg Williams 

Edited by TitanRedd

18 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

My opinion & I know I’m be killed for saying this, but Schwartz as a D coordinator was overrated, if you look at the stats, & just look em up, under Schwartz only thing we were good at were sacks, stopping the run, & turnovers. Our Achilles heel always was pass defense we were bend but don’t break & we played against quality passing teams we broke. Check the stats we would always be top 10 in sacks run defense somewhere in the middle in turnovers & pass defense always in the 20’s. 
Schwartz defense was Tampa 2 cover 2, with interior pressure from Albert Haynesworth Tony brown & Jason Jones, with our DE’s playing Jim Washburn wide 9 scheme threatening the edge with speed, that’s why we could plug so many DE’s in our system & they had success, kearse who was a 1 trick pony, vandenbosch, Babin, Travis laboy, Jacob Ford, Dave ball bunch of no name guys who all only had success playing within our scheme. Schwartz was good with talent you surround him, my honest opinion our best DC was Gregg Williams 

I’m not saying Schwartz is some great DC but he’s a hell of a lot better than bozo crew we got running the show now. I’m well aware of Schwartz defense….

28 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’m not saying Schwartz is some great DC but he’s a hell of a lot better than bozo crew we got running the show now. I’m well aware of Schwartz defense….

Yeah I understood your point but what I’m saying do you think we have enough talent for Schwartz to turn it around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Justin615$ said:

Janoris Jenkins needs to be cut immediately. Just watched him from the past week and Holy moly. Dude is 10 yards off the receiver and many times has already started back peddling before the snap. Just awful

Where is the feisty corner we were promised? I would almost welcome a couple of DPI's just to have him play more aggressive. 

30 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Janoris Jenkins is a pretty good CB. Not great, but a starter. Something with our defensive coaching is making all of these guys suck or putting them in positions where they can't consistently win.

Nothing new.

jenkins had good days against seattle and indy, and when he played tight to his man he was more or less exactly what we expected him to be. it’s just completely beyond my imagination to understand why, in the second half of the jets game, we just decided to go right back to everything we know doesn’t work. total insanity.