Week 4 Postgame: Big Ben sucks, Packers don’t?

mikebpackfan

I guess we are talking about Cincy already, but just to wrap up this one…

Positives:

-O was moving the ball great as long as they stuck with the run game first. 
-was nice to see Cobby get some key 3rd down catches.

-the O-line (apart from the one terrible play early) looked really good again. Plenty of time for Rodgers throughout the game and almost always positive runs. 
-more pressure from the Z-less D, including the return of Keke.

-thank heavens for iffy offsides penalty. 

-the Tomlin-Rodgers exchange was pretty great. 

Negatives:

-offense really sputtered after first drive of second half.  Rodgers missed some easy-for-Rodgers throws and 33 fumbled. No good. 
-Jaire’s injury.  Looks good so far, but I’m still gonna hold my breath. 
-the zebras. Pretty awful again.  

Ugly:

-CBS showing that GD Jets game and then not taking any commercials for the entire 1st Q, so folks outside WI missed the whole thing. So stupid, they gotta figure out a different way. Fortunately for me, I figured out I could see it on the Game mix channel, but it sucks for those that couldn’t. 

Edited by mikebpackfan

1 minute ago, HyponGrey said:

On to Cincinnati??? 

Big positive in Bojorquez.

YOOO

How bout that punt out of the endzone to the opposing 37.  That was sick.

Somehow this is still a terrible special teams team.  FG blocking looks deplorable, kickoff coverage has to be the worst in the league.  But the punt unit looks GOOD!

Edited by skibrett15

The FG blockers are bunched so tight, I don't get it.  They could each add 6 inches and no NFL guy would still have any chance to skinny through.  Weird.  

I thought Dillon looked very good.  On the running series, I almost thought I might rather have Dillon carrying the ball than Jones.  

I liked how on a 3rd-and-1, on a Jones series, MLF brought in Dillon for that one... And he got the first.  

Nice win. 

The pass rush looks likely to be a problem against good passing teams.  

I thought Rodgers missed a number of throws 2nd half.  Made some great throws as always.  And didn't need to be at his best today, given how bad Pittsburgh's offense was.  But just had some misfires or late throws.  Obviously the play-action throw to Tonyan, he was a mild wide open, but Rodgers held it too long, and then underthrew badly.  There was a 3rd-down to Adams that he threw out of bounds, didn't need to be so far out of bounds, Adams had good space, plus if Rodgers had let it rip a little sooner the window wouldn't have been semi-closing.  A couple other ones where it seemed the throws and the balls were just a little late.  

I really like Meyers.  I think his size and power at center might enable some short-yardage stuff that we weren't necessarily strong at in past?  

44 minutes ago, craig said:

I really like Meyers.  I think his size and power at center might enable some short-yardage stuff that we weren't necessarily strong at in past?  

Linsley was a pretty strong guy in the middle. You’re right though, we’ve really never had such a massive center and it should help hold that space for gotta have it short dives.  I’ve also been impressed with Meyers and he should only get better. Seems like a very bright guy to go along with that wide load he’s driving around.

Deguara had a pretty rough start to this one. Whiffed badly on a block that would have helped us moved the chains and had a few other plays out of rhythm. He’s an intriguing player in this offense but I hope he starts to find his role sooner than later. 

Amari found  work on some motion stuff and also he had a nice block and blitz pickup. Keep it going, young man!

AJD looks hungry, feed that man!

It was great to get Lazard going. He does so much dirty work, let him get his hands on a few.

EQ looks physically strong but did not show the best hands. He’s still a mystery to me and I don’t know if he can develop for us.  We think enough of him to elevate him from the PS so hopefully we make a decision with him soon. 

Speaking of decisions, we currently are carrying two LS.  The guy starting has not been impressing and might be telegraphing his snaps letting the kick blocking unit get a jump on us. Either he improves or see what the PS guy has got. 

43 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Speaking of decisions, we currently are carrying two LS.  The guy starting has not been impressing and might be telegraphing his snaps letting the kick blocking unit get a jump on us. Either he improves or see what the PS guy has got. 

I'm pretty sure this LS thing and always was just a matter of time. Makes too much sense

11 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

YOOO

How bout that punt out of the endzone to the opposing 37.  That was sick.

Somehow this is still a terrible special teams team.  FG blocking looks deplorable, kickoff coverage has to be the worst in the league.  But the punt unit looks GOOD!

Just a matter of time before a big kick gets block.  We're playing with fire and about to get burnt.  Truth be told we probably got burnt yesterday, but the refs bailed us out with the flag.  If I'm LaFleur I'm making major adjustments to that right side coverage.