MNF: Raiders (3-0) @ Chargers (2-1) -

RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Oak... Las Vegas Raiders
    • San... Los Angeles Chargers

3 minutes ago, A_Biased_Fan said:

Just took a look at the box, was it a full checkdown charlie game?

Yea there really wasn't many big plays. The Raiders had their chances with Ruggs over the top a few times but Carr missed him. Herbert also overthrew a wide open Williams for an easy 6 early on.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AteBoxx said:

The Raiders should be 1-3 right now with Gruden on the hot seat but it's amazing what a little luck can do

Doesn't he have 6 more years on his contract? I think he has 2 more seasons after this at the earliest if they can't become a consistent 10+ win team

I think it's fair to make the following observations:

1.  Vegas' D was really exposed vs. a topflight passer today.    Lamar is a dual threat, but not a pure passer.   Obviously Big Ben is a shell of his former self, and we know what Brissett is (or isn't).  Their pass rush is still really strong, but their pass coverage is going to be an issue (yes I know they lost their CB's, but they were getting beat even with the 2 in there).  Frankly, Herbert left points on the field, with that missed wide open Mike Williams bomb.

2.  On the other side of the ball, the Raiders OL is also in big trouble.  Alex Leatherwood was panned as a reach pick especially given who else was on the board, and man, he's looked bad in pass pro.  He can still improve, but that could be another failed 1st rounder for Gruden/Mayock.   Again, it's been covered up by the fact that MIA/PIT (who were missing Watt for the last 3 Q's, and Watt already had a sack and a few pressures in 1Q) couldn't mount much pressure (Watt injury really changed that game flow).

3.  On the flip side, man Herbert is coming into his own.   Made so many great throws, and again hung in there vs. pressure.   He's going to skyrocket in the MVP race after the last 2 games.   

4.  Brandon Staley has to be the lead contender for COY, and he's LITERALLY the anti-Lynn in terms of game management. I don't even fault the failed fake punt, that was just an unbelievable play by Renfrow.    Staley put the ball in Herbert's hands rather than punt 3x....and it paid off each time.   It's so refreshing to see the Chargers play to win..instead of Lynn's "don't lose" mentality that invariably lost.

5.  Derwin James is rounding into form, and that's a problem.  The Chargers D can be soft against the run sometimes, and they need to clean up their deep ball coverage vs. true elite speedsters (they did a great job vs. Tyreek, but honestly Ruggs should have had 3 bombs, and 2 TD's - that's on Carr).  But the secondary with James, Adderley, Davis & Harris Jr, are playing at a high level, and when Samuel gets his game legs under him, he's going to be a baller, too.    They blew 3 deep balls, but they were overall stifling.   The last 2 games serve notice how good this group is, combined with a great pass rush, is real trouble for opposing O's with ANY OL deficiencies.

6.  It wasn't his fault, but man, Carr is still not an upper-echelon QB.   He's an asset, don't get me wrong, but he just comes up small so many times, with curious decisions.   Throwing short of the sticks on the 4th down play, and the missed deep balls, you just don't see that from truly elite QB's.  I can see why there were reports Carr was offered in the Watson sweepstakes before the whole off-field stuff came up (and back when HOU's FO wouldn't return phone calls).   I think he's a good, but not elite guy.   

7.  The crazy part - Chargers had this dominant game without either Keenan Allen or Mike Williams going off.    This is going to be a signature game (along with last week) for Herbert's case for MVP.  It's also a huge feather in GM Telesco's hat that guys like Drue Tranquill and T Rashawn Slater had solid games - Slater was a gift that fell into their lap, but he's been great at leveraging BPA (Derwin James being another example).   They still had assignment issues with the interior OL & RT, that needs to get fixed ASAP (3x they let a blitzer come in unchecked while the G/RT didn't block anyone - and 2x Herbert still got rid of the ball, crazy).   Slater has stabilized that OL along with Corey Linsley (duh).  Tranquill was a terror on pass rush in the 1H, and he added some much needed grit to their run D.

If ppl thought last week was a fluke, doubt no more - Chargers are legit SB contender.    Herbert a legit MVP candidate.   DEN passing on getting a real top 6-8 QB (or a QB with that ceiling in the draft) could haunt them - it's going to be Herbert/Mahomes in the top 5 for a long, long time, barring injury. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea there really wasn't many big plays. The Raiders had their chances with Ruggs over the top a few times but Carr missed him. Herbert also overthrew a wide open Williams for an easy 6 early on.

When Herbert missed that throw, I thought that was the one that we would regret missing.

That was a game you wanted to see as a Charger fan.

Just as the Raiders made it close, the Chargers took it away. That would have never happened in the last few years. Last year that would have been a close loss, and another blown lead.

The Chargers defense might be weird as I said earlier, but when it comes to scoring it is legit. Also, Dak, Mahomes and Carr have been held in check.

Brandon Staley bring a certain je ne sais quoi to the Chargers. He cares nothing about their previous struggles or reputation.

• Like 2