Week 5: Kneecap Bitin' Lions (0-4) at VIKINGS (1-3)

swede700

15 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

You were OK with not going for anything at the end of the first half?

You were OK not going for the throat after the defense got the 4th down stop and we ended up missing the FG?

Lots to be desired from the coaching staff today. Way too conservative way too early.

Agreed on Herndon. 

I've seen our team punch themselves in the face repeatedly enough to be okay with a conservative approach, especially against a bad team like Detroit.

Now, if it were Green Bay, you pretty much play the game like its your Superbowl. You have to take extra risks I think.

24 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I've seen our team punch themselves in the face repeatedly enough to be okay with a conservative approach, especially against a bad team like Detroit.

Now, if it were Green Bay, you pretty much play the game like its your Superbowl. You have to take extra risks I think.

We can't even execute a conservative approach correctly. Cook and Mattison have fumbled with that approach. Granted, Cook was down but the point remains. The advantages are with the offense. I understand running the ball 2x, 1st time to get DET to burn their final TO and a 2nd time (not to Ham though) to get to the 2-minute warning. Perhaps it is hindsight but being conservative in those situations hasn't exactly played out how it should.

How one can be pleased with Zimmer and Kubiak yesterday is beyond me. That screenshot on the previous page of 6 or so runs at 2nd and 8 or longer is absurd. Easily Kubiak's worst game as a play caller.

Green Bay is a terrible comparison, Rodgers has repeatedly marched them down the field time and time again. The team that hasn't won a SB in their franchise history should be the team taking the risks.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

We scored 1 touchdown today. There’s a good chance he turns more out of those opportunities than even what Mattison did. 

Both Cook and Mattison have been dangerously close to breaking one. My brother and I were talking about it during the game yesterday. 

Mattison's longest run of the season was yesterday at 48 yards, Cook's is 17 but he's been soooo close to busting one. Hopefully he can break a few during this tough stretch of games.

I'd love to see more of a RBBC approach with these two, hell put them on the field at the same time.

• Like 1

All I can simply say about yesterday's game is (as a caller quoted on Fanline after the game and as that soundbite plays on PA's show all the time) you play around with a bad team, bad things happen. They got away with it yesterday, but they cannot let that happen again. 

I don't know if it's in Zimmer's DNA to not play it close to the vest, but he needs to re-think some things...if he can't do it necessarily this week vs. the Panthers, he'll have some time over the bye week to reevaluate what he's been doing.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't know if it's in Zimmer's DNA to not play it close to the vest, but he needs to re-think some things...if he can't do it necessarily this week vs. the Panthers, he'll have some time over the bye week to reevaluate what he's been doing. 

Bingo, he needs to do some self-scouting over the BYE to see where he can improve, adapt, change, etc. 

Sadly, that likely won't happen and it will ultimately cost him his job.

35 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

We can't even execute a conservative approach correctly. Cook and Mattison have fumbled with that approach. Granted, Cook was down but the point remains. The advantages are with the offense. I understand running the ball 2x, 1st time to get DET to burn their final TO and a 2nd time (not to Ham though) to get to the 2-minute warning. Perhaps it is hindsight but being conservative in those situations hasn't exactly played out how it should.

How one can be pleased with Zimmer and Kubiak yesterday is beyond me. That screenshot on the previous page of 6 or so runs at 2nd and 8 or longer is absurd. Easily Kubiak's worst game as a play caller.

Green Bay is a terrible comparison, Rodgers has repeatedly marched them down the field time and time again. The team that hasn't won a SB in their franchise history should be the team taking the risks.  

Zimmer is what he is. I think he's a good coach but probably isn't the guy for us going forward. I think he either retires or mutually parts ways after the season.

Kubiak is still learning. His first 15 scripted plays have worked like a charm, as we've scored on every first possession through 5 games this year. He needs to adjust a bit better later in the game and not run on 2nd and long unless its just to kill time, but he's fine and still learning I imagine.

These next 7 games will tell us more about our coaching though than the first 5 I believe.

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Kubiak is still learning. His first 15 scripted plays have worked like a charm, as we've scored on every first possession through 5 games this year. He needs to adjust a bit better later in the game and not run on 2nd and long unless its just to kill time, but he's fine and still learning I imagine.

2nd half points by the offense:

Bengals - 17
Cardinals - 3
Seahawks - 9
Browns - 0
Lions - 3

He's been garbage in the 2nd half and he's got a long ways to go. I saw it on Twitter, someone pointed out that Zimmer hired a Senior Offensive Assistant (Kubiak?) when Stefanski was OC but hasn't done that with Klint Kubiak. I think that has proven to be a mistake. 

This team should be putting points up almost at will with a more aggressive OC. We have so much talent on offense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

2nd half points by the offense:

Bengals - 17
Cardinals - 3
Seahawks - 9
Browns - 0
Lions - 3

He's been garbage in the 2nd half and he's got a long ways to go. I saw it on Twitter, someone pointed out that Zimmer hired a Senior Offensive Assistant (Kubiak?) when Stefanski was OC but hasn't done that with Klint Kubiak. I think that has proven to be a mistake. 

This team should be putting points up almost at will with a more aggressive OC. We have so much talent on offense.

They have a senior offensive assistant...Rick Dennison.