Let's Talk A Bit About This Guy......

soulman

This Chicago Bears player is proving all doubters wrong

Nobody, not even Robert Quinn can say that his 2020 season with the Chicago Bears was up to his standards. Considering how rough of a year it was, it was fair for him to receive criticism. Quinn signed a big deal and in his first year, he did not deliver.

However, for how poor Quinn was in 2020, it was fair to say that there may be more out there from Quinn in 2021. Still, it was easy for many, including me, to say that Quinn got a big deal, he is now older, and it is unlikely for him to live up to his deal. However, through four games of 2021, it is looking like Quinn is proving everybody wrong, as he has been excellent.

Quinn has recorded a partial sack in every game and may have had his best game in a win against the Lions. Quinn had a strip that led to Chicago getting the ball. He had a huge run-stuff as well.

One of the biggest questions with Quinn entering this year was whether he could make an impact in the running game because he was non-existent there last season. He has been much improved, and much more present in that area.

Beyond that, Quinn has just been more consistent in causing pressure, another area where he struggled last season.

It is fair for us to consider that 2020 was a bad year for many, and Quinn was one of those. Beyond his injury issues, which many pointed to, we do not know the protocols and life-changing events that have affected people. Quinn looks healthier, but even on the field looks like a different player altogether. 2020 was a tough year for many, and Quinn was another, which makes it easier to forgive that year and embrace his new look in 2021.

It is early, but the first four games of Quinn’s 2021 are the best four games he has played with Chicago. They are performances reminiscent of why the team signed him. If he can keep this up, it will be a huge impact on the defensive perception.

I'll eat some crow and be glad to do it.  Quinn has surpassed any expectations I may have had for him already.

The potential was always there but were injuries, age, and even desire catching up with him?  Apparently not.

He's playing about 10lbs lighter this season at 245lbs (listed) and to me he looks much quicker off the snap and more athletic.  He looks and plays far more like the OLB/Edge guy we expected him to be and no longer a strictly 4-3 DE.  He's even been playing to run much better.

If he can keep this up and remain 100% healthy he's gonna be a difference maker for the defense this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soulman said:

I'll eat some crow and be glad to do it.  Quinn has surpassed any expectations I may have had for him already.

The potential was always there but were injuries, age, and even desire catching up with him?  Apparently not.

He's playing about 10lbs lighter this season at 245lbs (listed) and to me he looks much quicker off the snap and more athletic.  He looks and plays far more like the OLB/Edge guy we expected him to be and no longer a strictly 4-3 DE.  He's even been playing to run much better.

If he can keep this up and remain 100% healthy he's gonna be a difference maker for the defense this year.

Same. I'd rather be wrong and in it benefit the Bears than correct when it is a detriment to them. If Nagy could be a HoF coach with multiple Super Bowls and make me look like the biggest ***hat on the forum then I'd happily welcome it.

Quinn is playing like we had hoped he would last year, and if he had played this way (assuming his ankle issues were legit) then he would have been happily welcomed and cheered. Even if he only was a plus passrusher and mediocre run stuffer we'd have been happy (since that was the general notion of what was expected). I hope he gets to continue this level of play. We have numerous holes and having two EDGE like Mack and Quinn playing like this means we can focus elsewhere.

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If Nagy could be a HoF coach with multiple Super Bowls and make me look like the biggest ***hat on the forum then I'd happily welcome it.

You want him to morph into Bill Belichick?  Is that what you're saying.....LOL.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I wonder how much of this is also Sean Desani putting Quinn in a position to be successful. I've seen a fair amount of stunts for Mack as well helping him get easy chances to pressure the QB. I've so far been impressed by Desani's DC work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

what does quinn have to do this season overall for him to go from "definite cap casualty" to keeping him next year?

It's all about health with Quinn...if he can stay injury free then he will continue to have his speed and that is what his game is all about...

I can't think of a single person who saw this turn around coming...he looks like a stud out there and not just because of the 4.5 sacks in 4 games...Quinn last season only had 6 QB hits...he has 7 already this year...he didn't have a single TFL in the run game last year...he already has 3 this year...Quinn is making the game easier for everyone else which is what he needs to do given his contract.

• Like 2

I didn't completely write him off due to the injuries (I mean, he had a productive resume coming in and for him to drop off as much as he did last year was hard not to believe that injuries didn't play a factor) but it was still a legit concern given his age (an age where pass rushers start to decline.

I'm glad he's playing well and proving me wrong though.

8 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I wonder how much of this is also Sean Desani putting Quinn in a position to be successful.

Combination of both from what I've seen. Look at the first play vs the Browns. Stefanksi called a good play design that would ordinarily turn into to decent gain, but Mayfield's first read was stifled because Quinn recognized the play and stayed home to stuff the TE instead of committing to the run or rush and did a good job of thwarting the play.  IMO, Stefanski expected Quinn to bite on the play fake and rush the QB while JJ took the deep route and in turn open up the lane for TE.

This is an example of both Desai's scheme working in tandem with a player trusting his instincts on a play.

• Like 1