Bostic and McTyer out for the year

ARTMONK HOF

25 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Getting rid of Moreland was dumb. At this point, it might be wise for Rivera to admit his mistake and offer a draft pick for Jimmy. Rivera had a good off-season last year but letting go of small role players like KPL, Fabian Moreau and Jimmy Moreland is hurting this team. 

My love for JFM is unparalleled on this forum. Trust me. But even as much as I love the guy, I'm not going to trade away a draft pick (which wouldn't be a 7th, it would be at least a 5th given that he is a proven player who ranked 3rd in many metrics last year in the slot) to get back something I just had only a few weeks ago. The problem with this situation (not just with Jimmy but with many players like this) is that even if you do realize your mistake (and I'm not sure the F.O. does at this point), the smart move is to move on and either let the player go to FA later (at which time, if they are still playing well you try to sign them) or you find a replacement in the meantime and don't worry about signing him when he comes up for FA in a year or two. Either way, unless the player flames out and is out of work, you're not getting him back without paying a premium. And "Sell low, Buy High" is not a good recipe for roster composition.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, offbyone said:

No we are good, we got apke in the closet :)

This is true. He's such a great gunner that we can stop punt returners on the 15 before they get going and make it to the 30. So instead of our swiss-cheese defense giving up 70 yard drives for TDs, they now give up 85 yard drives for TDs.

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

My love for JFM is unparalleled on this forum. Trust me. But even as much as I love the guy, I'm not going to trade away a draft pick (which wouldn't be a 7th, it would be at least a 5th given that he is a proven player who ranked 3rd in many metrics last year in the slot) to get back something I just had only a few weeks ago. The problem with this situation (not just with Jimmy but with many players like this) is that even if you do realize your mistake (and I'm not sure the F.O. does at this point), the smart move is to move on and either let the player go to FA later (at which time, if they are still playing well you try to sign them) or you find a replacement in the meantime and don't worry about signing him when he comes up for FA in a year or two. Either way, unless the player flames out and is out of work, you're not getting him back without paying a premium. And "Sell low, Buy High" is not a good recipe for roster composition.

That's fine, I probably wouldn't do it for a 5th rounder either. It's pretty hard to gauge his value tbh. He was a roster cut after all. You think if they could have gotten a 5th rounder for him,... they would have. I agree you shouldn't "Sell Low, Buy High" but you are dealing with draft picks with such low value... Does it even matter? Our defense is awful, they need to do something

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, taylor made said:

That's fine, I probably wouldn't do it for a 5th rounder either. It's pretty hard to gauge his value tbh. He was a roster cut after all. You think if they could have gotten a 5th rounder for him,... they would have. I agree you shouldn't "Sell Low, Buy High" but you are dealing with draft picks with such low value... Does it even matter? Our defense is awful, they need to do something

That late before Week 1, every team knows it can just wait for the waiver wire. They aren't trading. And especially not for a player with "Injury Designation". 

We do need to do something though. But what? Who is out there that we can get and not pay an arm and a leg for?

6 hours ago, taylor made said:

/shrug... We've had a corner-back go down... what's a 7th rounder? 

Moreland hasn’t even played this year bc of his knee injury and now he has an “illness” while several players on the Texans has COVID-19. I’m not sure it’s a good time to even trade a conditional 7th for him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

That is, incidentally, 29 more snaps than Jimmy Moreland has been able to get with the worst team in the league so far. I thought it was rather silly to cut him as well, but at this point I think we’re making that guy into much more than he is. 

yup-uhuh.gif 

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think losing Bostic will hurt more than we expect

not-likely.gif

• Like 3

I listened to the Junkies this morning on 106.7 The Fan & they have Rivera on every Tuesday morning around 8:30, I think Kevin Sheehan does too, as I try to and have caught both interviews Rivera has given to each radio station before.

Anyways, Rivera said they are looking to upgrade the LB position because of the loss of Bostic. It sounded like they’re looking to do it anyway possible whether that’s by signing a FA, making a trade or signing someone off another teams practice squad.

For the time being they are bringing up Jordan Kunaszyk off their practice squad who arguably should’ve make the 53 man roster over Daryl Roberts anyway.

If I had to guess this is a good sign for Khaleke Hudson starting at WLB w/ Jamin Davis at MLB & Holcomb at SLB calling the defense.

I’m very exited to see Hudson finally get his shot, like Reaves, I don’t think there was any reason why he shouldn’t have been playing more at WLB over Bostic the first month of the season, especially on passing downs.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think losing Bostic will hurt more than we expect, but it’s probably necessary for the greater good. They were going to keep putting him out there, and if the defense is going to suck anyway — which sure seems like it will be the case — they may as well let Jamin Davis work through a lot of the growing pains this season. 

The only way Bostic’s injury will hurt this defense is because he’s like a coach on the field for our young LBs - Davis & Holcomb. It is true, this is a big deal but when a player can not fulfill his responsibilities from play to play in coverage they are a liability on the field.

There’s no doubt in my mind that offensive coordinators tell their QBs to target wherever Bostic is in coverage every single down first before going to their second read. I’m sure they also do this to Landon Collins when he’s in intermediate to deep coverage rather than when he’s around the line of scrimmage playing like a LB.

This leads me to Khaleke Hudson, Hudson & Davis also may not have the experience that Bostic has but athletically they can make all the plays that we’d need/want any Lb to make and they’re also better in coverage than Holcomb as well. Holcomb has the ability to be a great coverage linebacker bc he’s athletic but, his recognition in his zone is awful.

From what I’ve seen of Davis this year his recognition in his zone has come a long away in a short amount of time and from the videos I showed of Hudson’s play last year he also is good in coverage and has great recognition in his zone.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:29 AM, turtle28 said:

Moreland hasn’t even played this year bc of his knee injury and now he has an “illness” while several players on the Texans has COVID-19. I’m not sure it’s a good time to even trade a conditional 7th for him.

He was up for Week 3. They just didn’t play him, except for a few snaps on ST. He obviously hasn’t had much of a chance to start competing for playing time, but as of now he’s 3rd-string (CB5/6) for them. I always liked the kid, so I hope he plays a lot and plays well. I’m getting a little tired of hearing about him, though, like cutting him is the reason the defense has been straight cheeks or something. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

He was up for Week 3. They just didn’t play him, except for a few snaps on ST. He obviously hasn’t had much of a chance to start competing for playing time, but as of now he’s 3rd-string (CB5/6) for them. I always liked the kid, so I hope he plays a lot and plays well. I’m getting a little tired of hearing about him, though, like cutting him is the reason the defense has been straight cheeks or something. 

Yeah, I like Jimmy too, but I definitely agree if we had him our D would still suck. We’ve underperformed at every level of our D so far this year and just bc we would’ve kept our slot corner from last year that isn’t going to make up for how inconsistent our DL has been and how awful our LBs, safeties and starting corners have been.

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

I want it on the record, counselor, that although I'm probably his biggest fan on FF, I do not keep bringing him up. However, I do discuss him when others bring it up (like now for instance), but I'm not necessarily going to keep pounding the table since I can't get him back. I said my peace when he was let go and I stand by that assessment, but I'm not going to continue to bring him up out of the blue.

And you're right, missing one player isn't one of the reasons we've been bad. I think it has to do with the current players not playing their assignments and mixed up communications on what people's roles are on a given play call. That has a lot to do with the players. But I am going to blame coaching as well. And not just for the inability to get the guys on the field to perform better, but also in roster composition. Maybe letting Moreland, Darby, KPL, et al go in favor of these other players  who are not working out is the key? That's the fault of the coaches and GM making that decision.

Either way, for the guys who are here right now, I just hope they figure out so we can win some games.