Week 5 GDT: Titans @ Jaguars

TitanLegend

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I wonder if they’d let Evans run the ball. Of all the coaching criticisms, the one that probably deserves more attention is how pitifully predictable our offense is based solely on who is in at RB. In 102 snaps, McNichols has 6 carries. In 210 snaps, Derrick has 113 carries. 

I've saw a thread earlier today pointing out plays from last week showing that Derrick Henry is still really bad in pass pro. It's something he's struggled with since coming into the league. Seems to struggle with identifying who he needs to block. He also needs to be in open space to really be valuable as a receiver so he can get a few steps to get going.

I agree that we need to be less predictable. A lot of it comes with our personnel/alignments. I watched the Jets game with my brother (49ers fan) and he was laughing at how many plays he predicted run or pass in a row based on the offenses alignment. He then pointed out to Todd Downing that he is allowed to throw on first down lol. We threw a lot more towards the end because we were losing so the stats around that are going to be misleading.

I felt like Arthur Smith was predictable a lot of times and just when I thought I knew that he was going to run it again he would call some PA pass and get a big splash play. Even outside of the Jets game where we didn't have our top two WRs, Todd Downing doesn't have that. Everything is always predictable. Even his PA passes... you can tell when they're coming. We're one of the worst teams at generating splash plays this season. Were one of the best last year.

9 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I've saw a thread earlier today pointing out plays from last week showing that Derrick Henry is still really bad in pass pro. It's something he's struggled with since coming into the league. Seems to struggle with identifying who he needs to block. He also needs to be in open space to really be valuable as a receiver so he can get a few steps to get going.

Yeah, I do get that McNichols is the third-down back for a reason. Despite the increase in catches, it’s not like Derrick is suddenly a dynamic receiver lol.

But I also feel like you could have McNichols in on non third down passing downs (2nd and 10, 1st and 15 plus) and you might even hit on a run in those spots. And then there’s the Derrick can never be on the field on third down rule. Which I get on 3rd and 10 when it’s an obvious passing situation. But 3rd and 5 or closer? At least occasionally mix him in.

Also, I get we want the ball in our best player’s hands, but Henry being on pace for a league record in carries and touches in a season is definitely concerning.

Hopefully Evans can come in healthy, be productive and be able to still some touches from Henry.

17 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

We're one of the worst teams at generating splash plays this season. Were one of the best last year.

This is the heart of the offensive problems. You have to hit explosive plays. You can’t play for third and short on every set of downs, which seems to be the current plan. We had 30 first downs on Sunday. We lead the league in total plays ran. But you just can’t rely on converting five third downs on every touchdown drive. It’s just not sustainable. 

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

This is the heart of the offensive problems. You have to hit explosive plays. You can’t play for third and short on every set of downs, which seems to be the current plan. We had 30 first downs on Sunday. We lead the league in total plays ran. But you just can’t rely on converting five third downs on every touchdown drive. It’s just not sustainable. 

This goes back to that Peyton Manning quote from the first MNF game we talked about on here. He mentioned he tried to avoid ever getting to third down. Todd Downing is calling plays to get into third down and manageable. That's all fine and dandy and maybe you convert a lot of third downs, but if you have five of them in a drive like you mentioned, all it takes is one mistake by any one player. Could be the C with a bad snap, OT missing a block, WR dropping a ball beyond the sticks, bad throw, or even just a bad play call into what the defense called. We accept that all of those things are going to happen every game, it can't be completely avoided, but we're given them too many chances to happen on third-down and it's killing drives. 

First down run, second down run on second and long, pass on third and medium... This sequence of plays needs to be removed from our playbook.

Edited by TitanSS

Just now, -Hope- said:

i genuinely don't even think it's reverse psychology. if the jets and zach wilson could do it, the jaguars and trevor lawrence sure as hell can too.

We can, but you’re definitely underselling your squad. Y’all still are going to be at the top of this division by seasons end (as much as it sucks to say) with likely double digit wins.

You guys get way too low after an L. Bad teams beat good teams all the time, it’s the NFL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

With these injuries and what not. We gonna be a dope team next year!

Healthy Farley, Healthy Bud, Healthy Julio and AJ.

Whew!  Let the 22-23 Hype season start!!!

22-23 will be cool

But imagine 23-24 when all of our 2022 draft picks finally are healthy enough to play

• Like 1