Week 5 GDT: Titans @ Jaguars

TitanLegend

32 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The Bud Dupree thing... injuries aside we're paying him 20m each of the next two seasons. He's probably worth about 60% of that when he's 100%. We shell out a ton of money to free agents to make up for failing to draft well and it's going to start getting harder to retain our own guys.

2022 cap room: 25m with only 38 players counting towards the cap (out of 51 players)

2022 free agents:

• Harold Landy
  • Ben Jones
  • Jayon Brown
  • Geoff Swaim/Anthony Firkser/MyCole Pruitt
  • Rashaan Evans
  • David Quessenberry
  • Teair Tart
  • And several rotational guys that are getting snaps.

You'd think we would at least need to bring back Jayon Brown and Harold Landry. I worry about overpaying for guys like Dupree who, even when healthy, probably don't completely solve our pass rushing needs. He would make me second guess drafting an EDGE (even though I still want to) because we're going to need to be cheaper at some of the other positions we have to fill with Dupree's/Landry's upcoming salaries at the position.

i think jayon is replaceable, tbh. he's one of the guys i think we overrate a little just because rashaan is so goddamn bad lol

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

i think jayon is replaceable, tbh. he's one of the guys i think we overrate a little just because rashaan is so goddamn bad lol

I don't think he's a dynamic playmaker that you can't live without, but he's by far our best coverage ILB and is one of the better ILBs in coverage in the league. I think we really miss his speed right now.

Also, would be going forward with David Long and Monty Rice with no one behind them at ILB and David Long as a 2023 FA. I think Long is more overrated as a player. He's better than what Evans has been giving us and has had some good splash plays, but is undersized, not that athletic, and not that great in coverage. 

I think we're better off resigning Brown and letting Long walk in 2023 and hoping Brown/Rice works past that.

That aside, we need more athlete's in our front seven. It's clear when any play goes near the sideline that Landry has been the only person in our front seven with any sort of speed.

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Looks like we’ve already phased Jayon out anyway because for some reason this staff is obsessed with Evans. Evans wouldn’t play a single snap if I was coach and I’d be seeing what we have in Rice. Jayon and Long would start but Rice would play sparingly on early downs.

I think he's just hurt. I don't think he's practiced in awhile. They've let him see a few snaps when it's an obvious passing situation, but that's it until he's fully healthy it looks like.

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I think he's just hurt. I don't think he's practiced in awhile. They've let him see a few snaps when it's an obvious passing situation, but that's it until he's fully healthy it looks like.

Yea I guess so. Still would rather Rice play than ever seeing that bum Evans ever play again.