The Good, the Bad the Ugly vs. the homeless Chargers

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This has been obvious for years. Get consistent pressure and he does indeed kind of panic/shut down the rest of the game, even if pressure isn’t coming anymore. Not hating, just the truth. Carr’s been pretty good lately, but that is a major flaw you have to live with if you want him as your QB. 

I wouldn't entirely agree with that. I mean all QBs will struggle if they're getting hit but the Chargers sacked and hit him in the first half and he came out and led us on a couple scoring drives straight out the gate in the 2nd half with throws where he had to stand tall in the pocket or escape pressure. I though when he covered up he was just protecting the ball, quite sensible. It's pretty true of every QB that you hit them and rush them and they'll be more likely to rush throws. I wouldn't say Carr is likely to fold it shut down any more than most QBs.

What I would say is that Carr is pretty athletic and he ought to run more when a pocket breaks down, it would make the D have to think a little more. He had running lanes on occasion to get 6 or 7 yards and didn't take them but I think they can keep a D honest so if I was going to criticise him it would be for that really.

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I wouldn't entirely agree with that. I mean all QBs will struggle if they're getting hit but the Chargers sacked and hit him in the first half and he came out and led us on a couple scoring drives straight out the gate in the 2nd half with throws where he had to stand tall in the pocket or escape pressure. I though when he covered up he was just protecting the ball, quite sensible. It's pretty true of every QB that you hit them and rush them and they'll be more likely to rush throws. I wouldn't say Carr is likely to fold it shut down any more than most QBs.

What I would say is that Carr is pretty athletic and he ought to run more when a pocket breaks down, it would make the D have to think a little more. He had running lanes on occasion to get 6 or 7 yards and didn't take them but I think they can keep a D honest so if I was going to criticise him it would be for that really.

He regrouped in 2nd half. But he definitely starts to panick if his oline is a mess. That's what happen on that 4th and 3 to jacobs. He checkdown super early cause he thought pressure was coming. 2nd half he calmed down and started moving in and outside of the pocket. 

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but there is no solution for this Oline this season. Have to hope they grow as the season goes on, but they are so void of talent and depth. Miller is their best player and he's an average LT. 

Relying on 38 year old Incognito to come back and play with any consistency is misguided. Which sucks, because he has some grit which is lacking with this group. 

And I'll just say it.... Leatherwood is crap. You can all defend him if you like, but it was a terrible draft pick at the time and we all knew damn well it would not pan out. 

That feeling you all had on draft day when they drafted Leatherwood. It's the same one you had when they drafted Ferrell and Arnette. Trust your gut, the guy is cheeks. Another blown first round pick.

Bottomline, this team has no Oline and it can't be fixed in season. There is ZERO talent in this group to work with and Cable is trash without talent to hide him. They will not win in Nov. and Dec. when they can't run the ball or protect Carr. 

The staff screwed this up royally. Trent Brown needed to go. Hudson certainly did not. Jackson most likely didn't either. It lead to a desperation draft pick in round 1 and a dumb decision to favor Cable's pet project at C. Now they have major issues that can't be fixed in season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Joey Bosa on Carr: "We knew once we hit him a few times, he really gets shook. And you saw on (Covington's) sack, he was pretty much curling into a ball before we even got back there. Great dude, great player...but we know once you get pressure on him, he kind of shuts down."

Ouch but yea it’s either curl in a ball our fumble and give carr credit he didn’t fumble. But without a line it was looking like old check down carr including that one 3rd down where he had multiple people open past the sticks and he chose the rb

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hate to say it, but there is no solution for this Oline this season. Have to hope they grow as the season goes on, but they are so void of talent and depth. Miller is their best player and he's an average LT. 

Relying on 38 year old Incognito to come back and play with any consistency is misguided. Which sucks, because he has some grit which is lacking with this group. 

And I'll just say it.... Leatherwood is crap. You can all defend him if you like, but it was a terrible draft pick at the time and we all knew damn well it would not pan out. 

That feeling you all had on draft day when they drafted Leatherwood. It's the same one you had when they drafted Ferrell and Arnette. Trust your gut, the guy is cheeks. Another blown first round pick.

Bottomline, this team has no Oline and it can't be fixed in season. There is ZERO talent in this group to work with and Cable is trash without talent to hide him. They will not win in Nov. and Dec. when they can't run the ball or protect Carr. 

The staff screwed this up royally. Trent Brown needed to go. Hudson certainly did not. Jackson most likely didn't either. It lead to a desperation draft pick in round 1 and a dumb decision to favor Cable's pet project at C. Now they have major issues that can't be fixed in season.

The big knock on essentially the Reggie McKenzie Oline (Trent brown being a Grudock Acquisition) was they were overpaid and it didn’t get push in the run game. Well one thing they were good at for most part was pass blocking outside of RT was always a sore spot. Now it’s the RT and the whole interior

(Miller and incognito were brought in by Grudock as well) not Reg.

Edited by SimonGruber

Gruden has got to rethink some things. His conservative nature continues to be a death keel to his second tenure. When he goes for it on 4th down, it's a simple dive that gets stuffed every single time! The sequence before half was disgusting. 3 straight runs and a punt to set up their 2 min offense. 

By contrast, Staley converted in big moments because he let his star QB make the plays. Gruden trusts Carr then calls these mundane run calls that continue be stuffed. I don't get it.

• Like 2

Justin Herbert didn't like pressure either. we hit him hard then he rushed throws and overthrew a few times. Two tonthree years ago Yes Carr got more scared in pocket with phantom rush. i dont see it last two years at all honestly. 

Hudson should of stayed. gabe was expandable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I kind of agree, though if we swallow pride and start an experienced veteran like Martin at OC and Incognito can give us ten games then it may be salvageable so not totally given up hope yet. I still think Leatherwood can be a solid RT but he was certainly, without s shadow of a doubt overdrafted. 

With regard the breaking up of the OL Trent Brown had to go, you are right but I'm not going to praise them for that move as they brought him in in the first place, so effectively they just got rid of their own mistake. Jackson was overpaid but Hudson was the real big loss, I think we could have dealt with those changes over the course of two off seasons but doing it all in one off season was a recipe for disaster and we are where we are now. 

I still think we have playoff potential and this loss doesn't make us a bad team. I think we're a decent team with a glaring weakness, we'll do well to cover that week in, week out though but it is just doable but it will severely limit our offence if Carr is under duress and we can't run the ball effectively. So frustrating as the D is finally starting to hold up their end of the bargain 😤😤

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Justin Herbert didn't like pressure either. we hit him hard then he rushed throws and overthrew a few times. Two tonthree years ago Yes Carr got more scared in pocket with phantom rush. i dont see it last two years at all honestly. 

Most qbs react to getting hit. It's the reacting to the phantom rush thats the problem. Herbert took hits but made throws. Carr rarely stand tall to make a throw and take one. You can tell he is worried about fumbling so he covering up. 

Bosa aint the first defender to publicly say this about carr either. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Look fair or not it messes with Carr more no ? It’s been the knock since college 

2 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Most qbs react to getting hit. It's the reacting to the phantom rush thats the problem. Herbert took hits but made throws. Carr rarely stand tall to make a throw and take one. You can tell he is worried about fumbling so he covering up. 

Bosa aint the first defender to publicly say this about carr either. 

i didn't see much of that in second half honestly. Carr moved around pocket ajd made things happen. He had a few unblocked guys coming at him and he threw it. 

Herbert didnt stand tall with Nassib coming at him. tossed it out of bounds. point is.. every qb does it. Pitt game carr took hits and delivered. Brady doesnt usually take big hits or rodgers. 

7 hours ago, dante9876 said:

We split jacobs out so much and he caught 5 passes. He couldn't make anybody miss or run anybody over. I just don't see any reason to pay drake 7 mill if you not going to use him for that stuff especially with jacobs being hurt. Like I was coming around to the fact that we paid him for a role and not really to be a back up rb, but if jacobs gonna fill that role to when he in the lineup what's the point.  Gruden got to focused on jacobs. He did a good job with drake and barber last week mixing up their touches. 

Exactly, Jacobs had tons Catches which should of went to drake who is more suited for those positions.

Jacobs looks like a shell of himself. We may of ran him ragged his rookie year