Week 5 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

I’m encouraged by him but he is far from making me think he’s a franchise qb. Still has to prove that

Yeah, for sure. This was better than I thought. I think you have to keep playing him, but I do think it'll be Jimmy after the break. It bugs me because I think the things Trey needs to work on the most are things that really only get helped by playing. He needs to throw, needs reps. Needs experience in certain situations. 

• Like 1
Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, and just little things like going with the check down instead of looking down the field. 

So Shanny going with Jimmy or sticking with Lance?

Allowed 305 yards after allowing 230 yards vs Seattle.

Not fair for the defense man, not fair. 

I think he's going back to Jimmy and honestly, I don't think it's going to be much of a choice for him. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think he's going back to Jimmy and honestly, I don't think it's going to be much of a choice for him. 

Not too sure about that. Would guess Jimmy but it also depends if he thinks this is a SB team or not. Getting the bye week with Lance and then another week of getting starter reps? He may go with Lance. 

I agree on sticking with lance, but I think Jim, sadly, is more comfortable for the team. But lance showed a lot today.

I am really, really worried about this staffs inability to look inward though. The complete and utter lack of investment at key positions, as well as the amount of hard swing and whiffs we’ve had in high rounds is crazy considering how talented the team is overall. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's got to figure out his arm / passing / touch. If he can't put the ball where it needs to be consistently, nothing else he does is going to matter much. That could take a year or two. 

I do like that he tends to identify the right guy most of the time. Sometimes a beat or two late, but hey, if you’re that crazy of an athlete you can be late. If you have a big arm, you can be late. The identification has been better than the other guys outside of Jones. Honestly, the accuracy outside of the first quarter wasn’t too much below average. But there were 3 batted passes today. And those lost a winnable game. There were two clear drops of first downs today. Those made a winnable game much harder. The defense played its guts out. The offense did what they could as a rookie learned. We weren’t bad from a yards per play standpoint. About 6! Pretty darn good! Gotta do better turning them into points but quite a bit of that is bad luck. And they did what they could in spite of some rough forth down playcalls. And the team fought in spite of refereeing that tilted towards Arizona all night. It was pretty much as I expected for the relatively positive outcomes. I was worried about some really nasty misreads and a team snowball effect where Trey messes up and the defense gets killed which puts more pressure on Trey, who messes up and then the defense gets killed. I was worried about getting carved up by their wide receivers. And we hung better than we should have.  

• Like 2

The killers here were not converting 4th down into a TD and not capitalising on the turnover. Also felt like we abandoned the run with Mitchell too easily.

Jimmy is currently better than Trey but this is a WC team at best. I don't want to overreact too much as we lost 3 close games to 3 good teams/QB's by a combined 16 points but we're already 3 games behind the division so we have to aim for the WC. Best case this year is probably a 10-7/11-6 type season but we have a lot of ground to make up. I think we could reach that with both QB's so i'd might as well get Lance ready as he'll be poised to make another step in year 2

The bye comes at a good time to let some key players heal as well as Lance to learn more 

Lance was very up and down which was expected. His throw to Deebo on the last drive was great, just high enough over the defenders outstretched fingers and perfectly placed to Deebo

Aiyuk needs more snaps and Sherfield should too, he has chemistry with Lance

Tough loss, the defense balled out. Season isn't over but we have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Forge said:

Shanny now officially has a worse winning percentage than Mike singletary 😂

It's been 5 seasons. This is not an anomaly. He's not a good coach. His play calling today I though was horrible. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not surprised. I mean, Shanahan is the dummy that kept rolling out Nick Mullens last year despite the fact Nick cost us 3 games and was one of the top 3 QB's in terms of turning the ball over. I'm not going to stop saying it...Shanahan is not a good coach. From terrible play calling, to bad personnel decisions, he needs to go. 

Edited by Meow
6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shanny now officially has a worse winning percentage than Mike singletary 😂

The NFCW was so much weaker back then. Singletary was 4-1 against the St. Louis Rams and the Cardinals/Seahawks were noting special at the time as well

That's the thing with a QB like Lance. They can still get you over 300 yards and keep the chains moving even if they aren't totally sharp. 

Three winnable games in a row that we lose. Not good, but the team will likely be in almost every game this season. 

Lance gets a lot of balls tipped due to his release so he needs to mix in some pump fakes and needs to take a few more steps back. He can take steps back and still get the ball to the receiver with how hard he throws it. 

He plays so much like a early Josh Allen lol. 

• Like 1