Week 5 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

10 runs by the running backs is kind of stupid, not going to lie lol

This was my complaint throughout the game. Just line up and run the offense. Hand the ball to our backs and let them do their thing. Instead then ran all these read option plays and predicated our offense off of that. Really stupid strategy IMO. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

This was my complaint throughout the game. Just line up and run the offense. Hand the ball to our backs and let them do their thing. Instead then ran all these read option plays and predicated our offense off of that. Really stupid strategy IMO. 

I guess there was actually 12. Juice had one and deebo was in the backfield on his. But still. 12 out of 59 plays in a game that was largely pretty close?

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

10 runs by the running backs is kind of stupid, not going to lie lol

Yeah, that needs to change but to be fair, we had so many holding calls that they forced us on long distance situations. More runs to the backs to protect Lance. 

Thought Mitchell looked really good. Ran decisive and was natural catching the ball. When Wilson returns, we have something at the RB position. 

Maiocco thinks it will be hard to go with Jimmy now… I kind of agree. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, that needs to change but to be fair, we had so many holding calls that they forced us on long distance situations. More runs to the backs to protect Lance. 

Thought Mitchell looked really good. Ran decisive and was natural catching the ball. When Wilson returns, we have something at the RB position. 

Maiocco thinks it will be hard to go with Jimmy now… I kind of agree. 

It should be Trey. It just should. The team needs to learn with Trey as well. Two way street. 

You're right about the holding calls. I wasn't accounting for that

• Like 2

The defense has allowed 4.3 and 5.1 YPP the last two games. That's close to elite status. DL starting to play really well and we're stopping the run finally. If Lance is the QB the rest of the way, then the offense will be winning the TOP more times than none and the defense will be well rested. Will be surprised if this defense does not finish top 7-10 again. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

I’m an Auburn alum, and the game reminded me a lot of college Cam Newton at the beginning of 2010 when the coaches were just getting to the plays that they were comfortable with him and he was just learning what he could do. That team also loved to go for it on forth (for good reason - Cam is a tank), but learned to mix in clever play actions on short yardage to maximize Cam’s danger. Cam missed high early on, too. The Mississippi State game that year was a lot like this. Or the Clemson game. Lance’s strength - the way he goes through arm tackles - is like no quarterback I’ve seen since Cam. His stat line was super Cam-y, too. Cam eventually got to passing very efficiently by the end of that year. And Lance’s arm blows Cam’s out of the water for strength. Auburn had games (many) where Cam was the lead tailback. Lance’s play might not turn the corner, but he puts himself into a lot of good positions with his legs in both the running and passing game. It won’t take much accuracy improvement or awareness of closing defenders to make him a real asset. We were at 5.9 yards per play on offense today in spite of all of the bad - about 10th in the NFL if we averaged it all year. The holding penalties, low number of overall drives, and forth down close calls disguised a reasonably effective offensive performance just as penalties, a kickoff return, and good red zone play/luck made the Green Bay offensive performance appear better than the underlying metrics suggested. 

• Like 3

Is there like anything new in the last 3 weeks that’s good? Lance looks solid, considering context..Ryan’s is proving to be a solid DC? 

just rough man. Rough start to this year. 

15 minutes ago, John232 said:

Is there like anything new in the last 3 weeks that’s good? Lance looks solid, considering context..Ryan’s is proving to be a solid DC? 

Defense playing well, in particular against the run the last two weeks and Mitchell looked good today. But honestly penalties, turnovers and just overall consistency on the offensive end is hurting the team. Need to clean that up post-bye week. 

Just have to win the next two games and we're right back in the playoff hunt. 

• Like 2
Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Defense playing well, in particular against the run the last two weeks and Mitchell looked good today. But honestly penalties, turnovers and just overall consistency on the offensive end is hurting the team. Need to clean that up post-bye week. 

Just have to win the next two games and we're right back in the playoff hunt. 

That kickoff fumble was brutal last week. And pissing away most of the 5 straight 3 and outs to start to the game. Arizona is a very good team unless Kyler is hurt now. This game hurts less because of that. We’re going to be a worse team than Arizona and Green Bay (barring extra injuries). Just can’t make up the QB deficit, no matter who is back there. Because those are two decent teams outside of the QB. Seattle, though, is in our class. We got them at home. Their offense bobbled plenty enough to win in the first half. And we couldn’t hurt their really bad defense with either quarterback enough. Maybe Jimmy played hurt after the first drive or so, but he was really bad after. And then Lance was juiced out of his mind for like 3 drives to start the second half. So there were like 6 or 7 drives of hurting Jimmy and extra rookie Lance that were just wasted there in the middle of the game. It only takes one or two of those flipping to change that game dramatically. Another drive there was spent when good decision to go for it on forth down was wasted with a weird outside run to Deebo with little backside action. That was an omen for this game, too. We’ll score more points while playing functionally worse offense in a few games down the stretch. We gotta catch the ball better. And if Lance plays, hopefully we get a little QB improvement as he learns. That is incredibly unlikely if Jimmy plays. He is who he is and we’ve spent our chips that we have to dress that skill set up. Jimmy’ll kill teams that aren’t stacking the middle of the field though. Dumb teams not in our division. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Deebo is amazing. 

Ryans looks solid, defensive front is really good. 

Lance didn't look like a chicken with his head cut off today. 

I just want to point out how aggressive Kyle was today compared to when Jimmy is QB. I understand it was due the team we are playing but we played the Packers two weeks ago. We went for it on 4th down, 5 times. 

• Like 1

Holy crap. Jimmie ward has never intercepted a pass since being moved to safety. 

Madness. 

His last interception was in 2016

• Like 1